What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Awesome gift

I just got this as a present and I think anyone who's been interested in sculpting but is afraid to drop a bundle to start up a hobby they may or may not like should look into this kit!

csikit.jpg

It's based off the TV show CSI that I don't think I've ever seen (I only watch the 24 hour news and cartoons channels) but it is an amazingly complete FX sculpting kit for only $20 at toys are us. It comes with a lifesize facial feature sculpting book that contains information I learned by trial and error over a year of sculpting - you'll learn in minutes! The clay you will recieve is high quality plastillina used in movie FX and mold making so you can sculpt over and over and your clay will never dry out. You can even make molds directly off your sculpted face since this clay is sulphur free so you can make your own halloween masks for next year if you wish.

There are Mr potato head type features you can add like an armature for the ears and eyeballs, nose two sprues of skin depth markers to add before you start putting clay on it but I suggest not using them as real faces are all slightly different. Rather use reference photos of the person you want to try sculpting.

This isn't an ad for whoever put out this kit (OK, it is kind of!) because I am simply astounded by what simply great kits they have for kids (and big kids like me) nowadays!
smile.gif

Looks cool,not bad for $20.

Jerry

Cool, make it look like George Washington. I'll get you some wood for the teeth.

Heh, I'm actually not going to use the head which came with it since I have a selection of museum quality resin casts of different skulls (humans, critters, etc) to do lifesize sculpts over. I basically wanted it for the stand! I was impressed though that is a good porportioned head for a inexpensive kit. I don't like that they put the facial muscles presculpted since it covers some of the most important landmarks to the face that one should know. But still for the kiddies (or just the curious) this is THE kit! You can go to a SFX webshop and get basically the same kit (better quality tools and glass eyes) but for about 5-7 times the price!

I don't have the presidential fever yet, but I am planning to do a lifesize bust as well as a fantasy creature "trophy  head" wall hanging model kit based off a saber toothed tiger skull I have and hopefully finish my lifesize howling orc built over a Chachma baboon skull which broke it's earlier stand a few in prog pix below:
howlingorc1.jpg

howlingorc2.jpg

howlingorc3.jpg

Gracias! It's an Orc, a goblin/ape type creature which is roughly 3-4 feet in height. They fight in swarming troupes like monkeys - except orcs know how to forge steel and make weapons. Eventually I'll construct his whole body outta 2 x 4's, sculpt his flesh in oil clay,  model some armor, weapons and make some paintable copies in resin. He's a hobby piece so I'm in no rush to complete his monumental task. I don't think I'll be casting too many lifesize orc model kits (molds for these size figs don't last too long) but there will be a few copies available on ebay for the insane model collectors out there.

Rockin work as always.

I just saw that kit in Wired. Very cool. I'd get bored making the same face over the same skull though... the point is to reconstruct the face not invent new ones isn't it?

Yes, that's why I advise against using the supplied, ears, nose and eyes without them you will be able do to a lot of faces with this kit. There is aparently a second kit head which has thinner features for a slimmer skull (case #1). Mine is "Case #2" a wider skull.

My miniature heads always start with nothing but the same oddly shaped egg of clay with a flattened edge and baked hard to form a featureless primitive "skull". Then I simply place the features layered over the original shape. You can do the same thing with those items left off the CSI kit.

Here's an example of two 1/3rd scale heads (3-3/12") heads made from the same shape egg with the facial features fattened or thinned on each one:
swamprats1.jpg

This series gives you an idea of what the "flattened egg" skull looks like as the features are being added before the shapes are smothed and more defined (just started this one tonight):
snicket1.jpg

Awesome work Josh. That orc looks amazing! It would be cool to see pictures along the way, from start to finish, to see the whole process. It kind of baffles me how you can make these models look so real. I have only tried sculpting a few times and nobody knew what it was!
cool.gif

he he he... me too
well... it's probably easier since it's big but that's still way better than I could do :p

That CSI Kit doesn't need anything. As it is, it reminds me of Homer Simpson.

Lifesize (1/1 scale) is a great way to learn how to make facial features. Once you get that down making smaller heads is much simpler but you still have to adapt new techniques & tools to work smaller. I don't like to do heads too much below 1/6th scale (1.5") as it's hard on the eyes!

Back