What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I just got back from california carnivores a few hours ago, and here's what i bought:
Nepenthes-
hamata, copelandii, lowii, ampullaria, reinwardtiana

Drosera-
regia

Sarracenia-
Leucophylla (flowering size!)

Sorry, i can't post any pictures, my camera's broken.

Wow...congratulations.
smile.gif
That's quite a haul of some really nice plants.

It must be nice to be able to go there...I've seen some nice photos of their plants and greenhouses.

Yeah it is really nice to go there. They have larger plants, and plants that they don't keep in stock very often, for sale in the nursury that they don't have for sale online, or they can't ship. Some of the plants for sale were almost two feet tall and had upper pitchers on them. They also had some N. villosas, N. khasianas, and some flowering size sarracenias. I even saw a N. Spathulata (for sale) that was in flower!

Go up there while you still can, they have a 20% off sale on everything until the end of december.

California Carnivores is AWESOME!! I go there all the time. I bought these my first trip. They were my first plants.

Heliamphora heterodoxa x minor
Drosera capensis
Nepenthes bicalcarata
Nepenthes albomarginata 'spotted'
Pinguicula primulifora

They are a bit pricey, but the quality is the best I have ever seen. BTW- HUGE heliamphoras there. WOW!
smile.gif

wow, man youre lucky to live by them, but me and jeremiah hop[e to go there this summer

I live in Las Vegas, NV, but my dad works at the airport so we fly for free all over the country. We go to CC as a 'day trip' lol.
When my dad saw their greenhouse, he was inspired to build me one! And that is how I got my greenhouse!

Nice, D. capensis is a great first plant. Mine was D. capensis (seed grown from my good friend Andrew). I've got a Bical too, it's grown two new pitchers for me in the 3 months that i've had it.  Albomarginata is great too, i have yet to get one though.

Did i mention that the reinwardtiana is the beautiful red variation. Go there, now, they only have two left!

I myself have two greenhouses, they aren't very big though, at least compared to theirs.
biggrin.gif
 One of mine is 6' by 6' by about 7' tall (stovehouse). The other is 8' by 8' by about 7' tall (warmhouse).

I can't wait until my truncata grows at large as the one they have in their hothouse.
smile.gif

I have to agree that they are pricey though, i say a <2 inch large N. inermis for $80!!!

yeah, I saw the truncata. It is HUGE. so are the amps and bicals! Peter gives good trade offers though, when I was twelve (a year ago) He traded me a $40 full grown S.leuco for my one inch long aldrovanda! He's great! lol
lotsa creepy/weird figurines in pots and on the ground though
smile_n_32.gif

I remember when I started this hobby back when I was in 3rd grade or so I would go to his old greenhouse every year for my birthday. I'll tell you this things were much cheaper back then! Bah, can't afford anything there anymore....
smile_h_32.gif

40 bucks for a S. leucophylla? He sold me a full size one (almost ready to flower) for 20. Even so, that's a good trade.

The bicals were like the size of grapefruits though. I could have used the truncata as a toilet if i wanted to, but he wouldn't let me.
smile_m_32.gif

When i was there, he had a N. Briggsiana Var. Peter D'Amato for 200 dollars! It is a hybrid between lowii and ventricosa, and it was about 5 inches around.

The only reason why i don't go to Cook's Carnivorous Plants, or Borneo Exotics instead, is that California Carnivores is a lot closer.

BTW, he had a figurine of the Mutant Ninja Turtle, it think it's Raffiel, or something like that hanging off of a N. eymae climbing vine.

They are really expensive (either that, or ole' Peter is trying to rip someone off). I would like one though, they looked pretty cool in the nursury, and the one he had for sale was nice looking, but it was wayyyyy to expensive for me. It cost about as much as all the other plants i got there combined!!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Back