What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"but i told you...!"

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
We have been traipsing around Western New York for the Thanksgiving holiday, visiting friends and family. We celebrated the meal on Friday, as opposed to the normal Thursday. I assumed (there's THAT word!) that we would be heading home on Sunday, but was informed that it would be Monday. Naturally, I must have had one of those "selective male ADD moments) and I heard the usual, "But I told you...!" Of course I also had to call in at work that I just wasn't going to make it in today. no biggie, but I was wondering if this phenomenon was a bit universal.    
confused.gif

Every male that's married, or has a girlfriend!
smile_n_32.gif

I'm sorry what were we talking about?

It's just the way we work.... sad but true. You should hang out with my dad, he's the worst. You can tell him something and he will ask you the same thing three or four times again. It's not like he doesn't hear it, he just doesn't listen to it. It's funny.

I'll one up you Wes...It's not that I don't hear or listen...I will actually repeat it back to my wife 3 TIMES and still it will fly out of my head. Don't know where to, just know it's gone.

LOL, that's how I am. I am told to do something, I repeat it in my head over and over, but it just never gets done.

Okay, I've got it figured out: Guys have three basic file folders in our brains called:
1) "And this affects my life - how?"
2) "This affects my life - when?"
3) "This affects my life - NOW!"

Folder #1 has an automatic purge feature. As soon as it's entered - it is deleted.

Folder #2 is designed for short term memory and then is intended to be transferred to Folder #3.

Folder #3 is for crises, emergencies (there is a difference), and the occasional well thought out plan.

The trouble is between the interchange between Folders 2 & 3. I think it's a RAM thing. So the female significant other goes to Sytem Tools and starts with a simple Disk Cleanup and removes a few cobwebs. Then she goes to Scan Disk and runs into trouble because there are errors that need to be repaired and other fragments of info that need to be re-integrated. Eventually, she gets through Scan Disk and then attempts a Defrag, that takes like forever, to get things back into place. For good measure, she then runs a mindware program that uncovers all these other fragments of potentially incoherent stuff, needing to be purged of its data miners. Forget the firewall and anti - virus programs because they are hopelessly outdated. Ultimately, she will have to resort to the inevitable - a total cleaning out of the system and starting from scratch.

Hmmmm, looks like 90% of my brain is designated for folder #1 and the other 9% is split between Folder types 2 & 3. I'm not sure where the other 1% got off to, but it's around here somewhere. Give me a minute to .......

You will not find it. It is reported as a bad sector.

Oh Jimscott....thanks for explaining my husband and sons to me in the finest computerese. Now I understand the problem...
laugh.gif

Boys, guys, men...it's called SELECTIVE AMNESIA. My dad and my husband can remember dates and tons of stuff about their interests but what I tell them is automatically trashed the minute it leaves my mouth. Sometimes if I dig hard enough, I can still fish it out from the trash bin followed by the "oh yes...you mentioned it before...I must have forgotten...but you must have told me when I was distracted..."

Sigh..
confused.gif
 It can't be helped, it's natural.  Over the years, I've learnt two strategies to cope. If it's trivial matter, I'll yakkity-yak and let it pass when they forget.  But if I want them to remember, I'll keep very very quiet during the usual chatty moments. Both dad and hubby can't stand it when I keep quiet so they'll ask.

"now, what's wrong?"
"nothing..."
"but you're so quiet"
"nah..thinking"
"about?"
"<haha> GOT YOU!"  
smile.gif

Besides, girls, gals and ladies got to check their boyfriends', husbands', fathers' and sons' ears.  My husband's ears are close to his head which means when he's facing me, he can't hear me as well as compared to turning his face away!! Irony is, I didn't figure this out myself, he told me! lol

Cindy,

Unfortunately, in my experience most women have the gift of gab far more than I have the gift of listening. To be point blank, I may not information about a coworker terribly interesting after 10 minutes. At this point the polite, customary procedure is to just nod and smile. If any questions are asked, a simple leading question will get me back on track enough to formulate a valid response. I think this is a fair compromise between me actually being bored out of my mind, or me telling someone they are boring. It's really a no-win situtation, and not remembering later what was discussed is simply a side-effect of this non-listening state.

There are 3 things that a guy never has problems recalling: The TV remote, the fridge, and the computer.

Steve, Steve, and Pat: See how much computer you guys have taught me?

Cindy: What a dichotomy!

Lynda: A manuscript is being sent to a publisher.

If women would just stop talking to us when we're watching TV (or other stuff)!
they sure get mad when we do that.

Hmmm seems as if this has become overly complicated.

My Mother shared the secret with me a long time ago.
She said males were defective out the gate and to forgive them.

You see we women are X's
All of you men out there are Y's.

The Y is missing one whole chunk to make it whole.  

All of you poor souls are missing 25% of the equation from birth and I know this to be fact because my Mother told me so.

Ah, a sympathizer! I feel much better now! *rolls eyes*

Back