What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What weed(s) cause you the biggest pains?

Finch

Whats it to ya?
When we bought our large property we were looking foreward to planting a good variety of plants and such on it. HOw EvEr, it was inhabited mostly by spotted knapweed. fine, we tought, we'll just use weed killer and replant native grasses in its place...

Not so easy, as it turned out. Not only are they maddeningly dificult to eradicate (3 years to get the last off) it turns out that this plant uses a secret wepon.

It produces the toxin catechin(-) from its roots and places it in the soil, wich immidiatly kills off any other plant (exept knapweed, of course!)
We have no idea how long knapweeds been growing on the property but it must be a while since the catechin(-) levels in the soilare high. Expecially since the plants were streesed by us eradicating them . and that means...
We cant plant anything in the soil once we've eradicated the weed, its barren! not even  other weeds can grow there! and with barren soil the knapweed is coming back. Its auful. We still have the lawn anda untouched garden but thats being taken over by the incredibly invasive creeping jenny, wich no matter how hard we try, we cant get out. So

Everyone has weeds, what's your problem species?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Everyone has weeds
I don't. I do container gardening
biggrin.gif

aldough.... U. gibba did become sort of like a weed but the fish is dead so now it's all for the U. gibba lol.

For me its oxalis and spotted spurge. Drat annoying things. Oxalis produces a ton of seed in snapping pods that fling them a few feet away. The fragile stems break and the plant usually grows back unless you take care to remove every last bit. Spotted spurge is annoying but only in the summer...then it gets bad

Doesn't sound anything like your knapweed though!

Definatly Chickweed first and second is dollar weed. Rice paper plant is getting up the list though.

woh, chikweed! i wish i had some never seen em before (birds go nuts for it- hence its name)

We have alot of chickweed\purslane\other plants I can`t think of the name oh yeah ragweed and pretty much our whole yard is weeds (Makes for some interesting flavers to throw in a salad....not that I can do that anymore *sigh*)

Never in your life would you want chickweed (non-native plant) it seems to have a 400% gemination and survival rate and has huge tap roots that 1 mm will produce a whole new plant

I would want chikweed if it was grown in a container in the house,a nd its great bird young rearing food

Oh my. My list of hated weeds is huge. Star-of-Bethlehem, crabgrass, dallisgrass, ivy, henbit, chickweed, purslane, oxalis, dandelion, elm trees, milkweed, clover, violets, wild asters, privet, wild strawberry, blackberry and a host of other weeds I have to contend with. Weeds = loss of time spent pulling, spraying and digging when my time would be better spent in the gardens. Some weeds can be very pretty out in a field, but can choke out your desired plants in a garden.
confused.gif

TUMBLEWEED!!! Out here in Nevada, it is everywhere!! It has extremely sharp thorns, so it is hard to pick, even with gloves. Spreads everywhere too,
smile.gif

out here in Calif. we have what we call "fox tails". Some kind of wild grass. Walk through a field of it and you'll spend the next hour picking them out of your socks. I think the only way to eradicate it is to burn the field, something you really don't want to be doing in southern calif.

We get poison hemlock and queen anns lace here and they do the same thing and t6here evrywhere grr....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ Nov. 29 2004,9:00)]Oh my.  My list of d weeds is huge.  Star-of-Bethlehem, crabgrass, dallisgrass, ivy, henbit, chickweed, purslane, oxalis, dandelion, elm trees, milkweed, clover, violets, wild asters, privet, wild strawberry, blackberry and a host of other weeds I have to contend with.  Weeds = loss of time spent pulling, spraying and digging when my time would be better spent in the gardens.  Some weeds can be very pretty out in a field, but can choke out your desired plants in a garden.  
confused.gif
I love star-of-bethlehem! I assume you`re talking about ornithagalum(sp?)? I love Hedera,violets and clover are very nice,I used to eat wild strawberry...very good,I loved blackberrys! I pick buckets normally every summer.

Oh wait I forgot about Bermuda grass. Now THAT is one annoying weed!

i think thts what our lawn is composed of

I don't think we need to worry about Elm anymore, PAK. Dutch Elm disease seems to have done a nice little number on them.

Also, I'd like to add Tree of Heaven (So named because when you cut into it it stinks to high heaven) and, in certain situations, D. capensis. At least the latter can be unloaded onto unsuspecting newbie CPers
smile_m_32.gif

humm trade you all knapweed for your chikweed
smile_m_32.gif

Yeah fly down to Florida and you can come to my house and dig up all the Chickweed, it will only take you 3 months to get it all.
Tre

Back