User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What weed(s) cause you the biggest pains?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we bought our large property we were looking foreward to planting a good variety of plants and such on it. HOw EvEr, it was inhabited mostly by spotted knapweed. fine, we tought, we'll just use weed killer and replant native grasses in its place...

Not so easy, as it turned out. Not only are they maddeningly dificult to eradicate (3 years to get the last off) it turns out that this plant uses a secret wepon.

It produces the toxin catechin(-) from its roots and places it in the soil, wich immidiatly kills off any other plant (exept knapweed, of course!)
    We have no idea how long knapweeds been growing on the property but it must be a while since the catechin(-) levels in the soilare high. Expecially since the plants were streesed by us eradicating them . and that means...
    We cant plant anything in the soil once we've eradicated the weed, its barren! not even other weeds can grow there! and with barren soil the knapweed is coming back. Its auful. We still have the lawn anda untouched garden but thats being taken over by the incredibly invasive creeping jenny, wich no matter how hard we try, we cant get out. So

Everyone has weeds, what's your problem species?
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Everyone has weeds
    I don't. I do container gardening [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    aldough.... U. gibba did become sort of like a weed but the fish is dead so now it's all for the U. gibba lol.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me its oxalis and spotted spurge. Drat annoying things. Oxalis produces a ton of seed in snapping pods that fling them a few feet away. The fragile stems break and the plant usually grows back unless you take care to remove every last bit. Spotted spurge is annoying but only in the summer...then it gets bad

Doesn't sound anything like your knapweed though!
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definatly Chickweed first and second is dollar weed. Rice paper plant is getting up the list though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    woh, chikweed! i wish i had some never seen em before (birds go nuts for it- hence its name)
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have alot of chickweed\purslane\other plants I can`t think of the name oh yeah ragweed and pretty much our whole yard is weeds (Makes for some interesting flavers to throw in a salad....not that I can do that anymore *sigh*)
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never in your life would you want chickweed (non-native plant) it seems to have a 400% gemination and survival rate and has huge tap roots that 1 mm will produce a whole new plant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would want chikweed if it was grown in a container in the house,a nd its great bird young rearing food
    that makes no logic

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast