What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yankee swap

One of our best NECPS meetings is the December one with our Annual "Yankee Swap", and Awards meeting (Jeff - you bringing a suitcase this year to hold all the certificates?). So make plans now and we hope you'll join us Saturday, December 11.

What's a Yankee Swap? Participants bring a wrapped gift that relates to CPs, valued at around $10.00. Last year we had plants, coins, prints, soils, pottery, etc. OK, here's how it works. Folks who brought a gift draw numbers to see who goes first. Number 1 gets to choose anything on the table and opens it. Number 2 follows and opens another gift. If they choose to........they can take away #1's gift or happily keep their own - which may not be for long! #3 goes next and opens a gift - or they can take #1's or #2's. Get it? This madness continues until everything is opened. Then, #1 has a last shot at ANY of the gifts!

Last year Lauren unwrapped the MOST STUNNING Cephalotus (from the "Cephmaster", Jeff, who by the way mentioned it didn't cost him $10.00). The entire crowd GASPED in awe, and a few moments of silence followed. Everyone wanted it - but no one would Yankee Swap it away because they felt guilty about taking it away from a kid! Here is her Dad, Robert:

20031213-NECPS-Yankee%20Swap-Robert-Wow,%20a%20Cephalotus.jpg

Another pic from last year's meeting, of Susan:
20031213-NECPS-Yankee%20Swap-Susan-D.muscipula.jpg
Sorry Susan........Dena swapped em away, Heh Heh Heh.

John & the "Cephmaster" himself:
20031213-NECPS-Plant%20Show%20Awards-John%20awards%20one%20of%20Jeff%20Matteson%27s%20many%20certificates.jpg

Tony - are you going to take part in the swap 'in absentia'? This meeting should be a great time and if any of you have been pondering about coming to one of our get togethers, this would be one NOT to miss. For more Information visit www.NECPS.org

The January meeting will be interesting too. John has yours truly slated to speak about a recent trip to the UK, where Dena and I met up with "Langy" in Swansea from the CPUK forums, and our visit at Kew where we got a behind the scenes tour of the Tropical Propagation Greenhouses with Caroline and Paloma (Thanks Kath!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

WildBill

I have heard of those things called an "White Elephant Exchange' or something like that. I like your name better, and I also like the #1 getting the final grab(Why be punished for being # 1?).

That sounds like a blast!

Cheers,

Joe

Hi Bill,

I stay in Swansea every time I go to the NECPS meetings.
What's the big deal? Oh.... you don't mean Swansea Massachusetts.

Look forward to hearing all about your Kew jaunts across the pond.

Kirk

P.S. Maybe I'll win a certificate this year.... Or not.
At least I came in second on the S. alata "Great Grow contest" but the Jeff guy beat me out again!!! Good going Jeff (A.K.A Cephmaster)

Maybe Jeff will bring another jaw-dropper this year. Even though he wins all the awards, I'm really glad he's in our group, and not another. I never successfully propagated a Ceph until I met Jeff.

I have a feeling things will pass between members a lot more this year - especially if someone spikes the eggnog beforehand! Another pic from last year of John's goodie:
20031213-NECPS-Yankee%20Swap-John.jpg

Kew was great - I'd only been dreaming of going for like 30 years! I think I may not divulge anything until the January meeting.....after that I'll put up a trip report like Barry does.

Oh yeah, I was thinking about bringing a huge cephalotus to the Yankee swap, but since someone else already thought of the idea...just kidding! I think I have a pretty cool gift though. My wife and I are pretty excited to see who wins from the show. Schloaty, will you be there?! C'mon, it's the Yankee swap and handing out of awards!! Oh yeah, will there still be a silent auction, it's always my second favorite part (my favorite being talking to all the nice members!)

Mike (and Andreia too)

Just Got This From John:

New England Carnivorous Plant Society, Founded 2003
December 2004 Newsletter

The cold weather has now descended upon us, the holiday season is in full swing, and all outdoor plants are completely dormant. Yet, all sorts of things are happening at the NECPS!

Plans are being made for the NECPS to again have a booth at the RI Spring Flower show in February 2005, in Providence RI. Last year the society got some good exposure, and this year we hope for even more. The NECPS will be giving 2 talks at the show, talking about CPs and promoting the society. We will once again be sharing a booth with the RI Orchid Society. Date will be announced shortly, and anyone who wishes to work the booth at any time is welcome to help out!

The Society is also working with several other groups in the construction of a large exhibit in the main exhibition hall. We will have a section in two different parts of the exhibit, and will have our name and information displayed there also. More details will follow as we near the show!

Society members Bill and Dena Matthews recently took a trip of a lifetime to England, where they got a chance to visit Kew Gardens! For those of you who do not travel or read, Kew is one of, if not the, the premier botanical gardens in the world. Many of the plants we love were first collected by people sent out from Kew, and they still are in the forefront of research into all plants. I have gotten a few tidbits about the trip from Bill and Dena in emails, and hopefully they can let us know more about the trip at upcoming Society meetings. I know they were working on establishing ties between our society and Kew Gardens!

Bill has also been in touch with the Bay Area Carnivorous Plant Society of California, working on the details of a "Plant Swap". The idea would be for the societies to agree on a number of plants and send a package from each group to the other! This is something that has been in the works for a while, and Bill has gotten most of the details ironed out. It should happen when the weather warms in 2005. WHO KNOWS what we may send, and receive in return for the swap table! and members!

The program at the December NECPS will once again feature a Yankee Swap! It?s fun and easy to be a part of it. The rules:
- Each member is asked to bring a plant related gift, wrapped, to the meeting. The cost should be no more than $ 10. (But last year, a few cheated and there were some great items!)
- The gifts will be assembled, and all society members who bring a gift will draw numbers out of a hat.
- The first person, (#1) will go and pick the gift of their choice, and open it. All members will OOOOHH and AAAAAHHHHH.
- The Second person will chose a gift and open that gift. That person has the choice, of keeping their gift, or swapping with any gift that has been taken already, that someone has. And so on and so on.
- When the last person has picked the last gift, and decided what they want, either their gift or someone else?s, the choice goes back to the very first person, #1, They have their choice of swapping with anyone who has a gift!
You never know what will happen, or what you may end up with till the very end! So, everyone, please bring a plant related wrapped gift and join in the Yankee swap! Since this is the Holiday meeting, members are also encouraged {more than at usual meetings} to bring a food item to help us all celebrate the end of another year. There will be better and more food supplied by the society also at this meeting, so bring an appetite along with the gift for the Yankee swap!

One last note, T-shirts are AT THE PRINTER as we speak, and we HOPE to have some available at the December meeting!

The next meeting of the New England Carnivorous Plant Society will be on Saturday, 11 December at the Greenhouses in Roger Williams Park, Providence RI at 12:30 PM! Along with the Yankee swap, we will have the ever-popular silent auction table, and plants on display! I will be there about noon to set up, if anyone is interested in coming early and helping out.

I hope to see everyone at the next meeting! If anyone needs directions or has a problem, please give me a call or email!

John Phillip, Jr President, NECPS

Oooh, T-shirts also!!!!!! People, you need to come to this meeting!!!

smile_h_32.gif

I can't this month. Wish I could...would'a brought a N. campanulata off-shoot to the swap.

Oh, that was mean...sorry to tease like that.
smile_m_32.gif

Well, I'm bringing a N. ampullaria, a N. khasiana x ventricosa, and a few other things... for the swap.

Anyone bringing Holiday food?

My wife and I will bring some gingerbread men, we love making these!

That's awesome!! This is gonna be fun! By the way, I'll have to remember to bring you the recipe for Gingerbread Pancakes with candied ginger in them!

Once again, we'll bring the carafe of hot water & the instant Cocoa, Hot Cider, and Land O' Lakes flavored cappucino packets.

Ok, who's bringin' the (spiked) eggnog?

Stiffler,
You have a good recipe for those? I lost mine a while back. PM me if you do.
WB, How many people show up for this swap, usually?

Cheers,

Joe

Last year was our first Yankee Swap. I think we had about 15 to 20 people.

That's a pretty good turnout.

Cheers,

Joe

Oh, 'The Griffin', the recipe we have for the gingerbread cookies is from 'The Joy of Cooking' cookbook. I'll send you the recipe soon. They turn out pretty good and soft.

Here's an update.

We had 19 people who took part in the swap. A few new faces too. Great gifts all around. When we get some photos uploaded on the NECPS website, we'll post them here.

Michael lucked out and got some Ceph pitcher cuttings that Jeff had started. They were like 1 inch tall. Mike, can you post a pic? Lots of neps were gifted too. I was totally psyched when I opened my gift - a propagation heating mat!!.....that was Yankee Snagged away at the last minute by Priscilla. I ended up with a "Bucket-O'-Bark" a 3 gallon bucket of orchid bark, which is still very cool. My wife, Dena, got a N. rokko x spectabilis and 2 CDs: the soundtracks of the Little Shop of Horrors movie & Broadway play.

Bill,
I actually think the bucket o bark is a great get! I find that orchid bark is a great additive to LFS for most of my neps. It's also a more attractive top dressing that just looking at moss.

But I think your wife stole the show with that hybrid....that thing is going to be awesome!

I'll post some pics when I get some time tonight! That was a great meeting!

Back