Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Came across an interesting article

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Capslock's point of view on the story, but I don't agree about the extent of coverage.

It looks like a lot of newspapers didn't cover it and the thought of the major networks putting any story in context, expecially the murder of a Dutch director, seems far fetched.

Religious zealots murder civilians in Iraq and doctors in the US and others in more places than I can count. Now some have murdered a filmmaker in the Netherlands. That's context.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ Dec. 01 2004,6:16)]Being dependent on advertising dollars, it's hard to take on local powers, but some have done it very well. It
    hehehehe you need to meet Darla, the school stays in line because she has sued them over open meeting laws. the county and the city for the most part behaves themselves and plays by the rules but that darn county hospital, they think they have their own lil kingdom, Darla is now lining them up for a good roasting over an open flame for not paying attention to open meeting laws. a very big no no in this state especially since the newspapers and tv networks pride themselves for making counties, cities, schools and what have you play by the rules and not try to do their own thing behind closed doors. now i can only speak for small Montana newspapers, we do try to cause as lil ruckous as nessesary with our local advertisers but i cant think of a one that will hush anything up to keep one. its not the way this buisseness works, we are here to report what is going on and for small weeklys such as ourselves keep a continuous history of the town and area.

oh and our paper is on a fairly poor Indian Reservation, now if that isnt the biggest source of drama and idiocity. a major part of my outlook twords life has come from dealing with the tribes for the last 3 years. im not going into that though as i know someone will get offended.

you actually read the papers stuffed in there Bruce? cool! i swear now that i work at a paper i find myself picking up a newspaper anywhere i stop in my travels. and btw most of you notice i have HORRIBLE writing and spelling skills and you ask how do i work for a newspaper? thats easy, i WORK for one i dont WRITE for one. mainly i run presses, but given that our total staff when all positions are filled is 7 or 8 i have a good understanding of everyones job and can do it in a pinch.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always had this weird fascination for news from other places. I like to see what's happening and what people are thinking about. I'll even read the classified ads. One time a trader packed a box with a paper from Malibu or some nearby California town and I just about had to change my pants after seeing the house prices in its ads.

But there's a big difference between local papers. Those in a place like Wolf Point are real papers. The town I live in has a paper, but we're only a couple miles from the headquarters of the Hartford Courant, the state's biggest paper. So our local paper doesn't bother with seeking news and instead acts as the mouthpiece for the Chamber of Commerce and real estate industry. Too bad.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i dont think pat did it to make the "liberals" look bad

it makes no mention to liberals.
    only hollywood

and not all of hollywood is liberal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats to bad Bruce, a friend of ours owns a paper in a town 10 miles and shrinking from the largest city and paper in the state but yah wouldnt know it from reading it. they have a top notch paper. if your that interested in papers ill send yah a bunch from all over the state. we get most of the weeklys through a subscription exchange program. quite a range. even have the local tabloid(the tribal paper)

Rattler
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12