What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lizards

Oh great!  I have to share my home with either chickens or cobras.  That should make my cleaning lady very happy...probaly just going to keep the lizards.

I have three different kinds of lizards in my house…geckos, the common color changing anoles and the immigrant Cuban type. The geckos only come out at night and are almost impossible to catch by hand.  The other two are not easy either.  Occasionally a tree frog comes in but they make a lot of noise and are easy to catch.

Iguanas, sometimes sit outside the door and look in but never cross the threshold.  There is one big male that the neighborhood cats are absolutely terrified of.  He is large and seriously aggressive.

Hey Ozzy, come on down, you can have all the critters you can catch.  There are even some gators in a lake down the street

I`d go with the chickens just get bantys Lol.!

I used to have a pet H.versicolor that was fun:)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] NepenthesMaster is right chameleons are found in Madagascar, but also in Africa and parts of India.

Chameleons are also found in the middle east.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Hey Ozzy, come on down, you can have all the critters you can catch. There are even some gators in a lake down the street

Hey you need a roomate?

more cuban immigrent anoles= rare coommon changeing green ones

“calling cards” LOL! I would imagine it would be tough to keep them out after awhile.

chamaleons (introduced) are also found in hawaii.
AHA! i knew it! I wonder why they tell you only males have dewlaps...

Geez, I didn't know everyone knew so much about chameleons. Although it appears I forgot to mention Spain and a few more parts of Asia where they can be found. Oh, and the Carribean Brown Anole, one of the invasive species it cannot change its brown pattern (usually have some pretty interesting back patterns). I don't know anyhting about the Cuban Anole. The Green Anole native to Florida can change color from green to brown and the reverse is true (some are so dark when brown they almost look black) Now back to the problem of catching all the lizards in your house I would say perhaps use a tank and keep some crickets in the tank. The complex part will be making a device that allows the lizards in the tank but won't allow them, maybe a lid with a hole in the center (just make sure they can't cling to the lid). I hope this helps.

Maybe you could take care of the 'calling cards' if you just get a N. lowii.
smile_m_32.gif

i wonder what would hapen if i put a wad of gum on my birds perch....

I'd call the animal cruelty people (spca?) and get you arrested
:p

calm down im thinkingv aoud andf anyway thheyd likely eat it.shheesh....
mad.gif

and I was just joking... hence the :p at the end.

I knew absolutely nothing about lizards before I made this post...now I know more than I ever needed.
laugh.gif

I made a large net out of cheese cloth and a coat hanger.  My two day score for lizard evictions is five Carribean (I call them Cuban) Brown Anoles,  one Florida green and two geckos.  However, this is not working well.  During the process I knocked over my beer and a pile of bills I wanted to pay...had to spend twenty minutes cleaning up that mess.  And my neighbors must think I'm nuts...running around inside the house at night with a butterfly net.

Hey PAK, Why don't you bring Ollie Bean down?  We could station him by the back door...kinda' like the border patrol.

When I moved to Nebraska in 76 at age 12, from North Carolina, the reptile/amphibian population went majorly down, lol.
The brown invasive anole(if my thinking is right) is the Bahama anole. It has a little dark diamond pattering on it's back. The common ones can change from green to brown(as mentioned) and run a little larger in size. I have seen three anoles in floral departments/greenhouses around here and they were all Bahama ones, so they must be taking over.
The Cuban knight anole is the largest species ...I am not sure on the size, maybe 18"?

lol... you think you know something?
Geckos can walk on vertical glass. Their feet and toes are lined with microscopic hairs that branch out and so as they're moving it creates static electricity which "glues" them to the glass. The collective force of all of them is so strong, in fact, that they have to peel their toes as they walk
smile.gif

anoles can also walk on glass (I thinik) but I don't know how they do it :p

What kind of geckos live in fl.?
Lauderdale, you should mail them to me.

Ozzy,  I tried to put up pics of two young ones but for some reason The PFT photo gallery...even though I am logged on...won't allow me to add them...so I can't post them.  Do you know why that would be happening.

Anyway, I will describe them.  The mature ones are up to 5 inches in length and have five large padded toes on each foot. They have very large black eyes, vary in color (depending on the color of the backround) from light tan to very dark brown and have two to three thick dark colored "V's" on their back with ten to twelve broad dark rings on their tails.

I would like to post the pics but, like I say I the PFT isn't letting me add them for some reason.

Come on down Ozzy.  Bring PAK and Ollie.  You can have all you can catch.  However, I would strongly suggest not messing with the gators or the male iguana.
laugh.gif

Ok!  I had my firewall set too high and it was blocking my ability to address the PFT photo gallery.  These guys are not mature.  Here are the pics.
One of my bathroom geckos.
gecko_also.jpg

One of my den geckos.
gecko.jpg

There are...were...at least three in each room and that does not include the the two different kind of anoles.

Back