What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is this world coming to?

• Thread starter sarracenia
  • Start date
It that person from Pantera that got shot. How could they have let someone in with a gun?
mad.gif

I used to live basically down the street from that place where it happened, the Alrosavilla club. Geez, it all seems pretty crazy to me.

I woke up this morning, and saw on the Today show that there was a shooting at a heavy metal concert last night. Being a metal fan since I was about 14, that got my attention. I wanted to see who it was. They said the guitarist was killed. Then they said the band was Damageplan. So I thought it was some local band. Then they showed a pic of the guitarist and I recognized him as Dimebag Darrell. I've seen Pantera many times and I even have picks that Dimebag threw into the audience. The last report that I've read said they the shooter may have been screaming something about Dimebag breaking up Pantera. I've also heard that another member of the band is dead but they haven't released who it is yet. I have heard that it may be the drummer, which is Dimebags brother.
It's also ironic that this happen on the same day that John Lennon was shot.

I just heard on CNN that the other band member killed was his brother Vinnie.

Oh NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
Now I'm really glad I went to see them when they were down in Mexico. Oh man. I can't believe it. R.I.P.

hmmm... yea, this sucks. i'm a pantera fan. i'm a fan of dime's style. even learned a little pantera back when i was actively playing... i never minded whan i'd go to shows and have them wave a metal detector over me. never minded one bit.
most of the world won't care one bit. the metal community has lost one of the greatest guitarists of this time. time to go throw a little pantera in the cd player...

Then when confronted, we ask them the question, what's wrong with your mind? WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOUR MIND?!

peace all,
tech...

I smell a ginormous lawsuit against whoever was handling security at the concert.

We had a shooting in Watertown last morning, an offduty cop shot this guy for an unknown reason.

People get shot a lot. my uncle was murdered by his wife, she shot him.

if they get shot that much as you seay then perhaps we really do need tighter gun control laws

whoda thunk

Tighter gun control. They will have to pry the guns out of my hands before I give them up. Send me to prison and I will still never give up mine guns...End of story on my part.
smile.gif

Makes me glad I live in Australia.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finch @ Dec. 09 2004,8:30)]if they get shot that much as you seay then perhaps we really do need tighter gun control laws

whoda thunk
i personally don't think more gun control is the answer.  obviously, this is one person who shouldn't have had a gun, but how do you know that beforehand?   i guess the details on this guy are still sketchy, but from everything I've read so far, there wasn't any warning signs about him.

there was an incident a couple of weeks ago, about 60 miles north of here, where a Hmong deer hunter was found in a tree stand on private land.  after being confronted by the landowners and told to leave, he opened fire on the hunting party, killing 5 i believe, including a teenage boy and a woman. all but one was unarmed, most were shot in the back as they fled.   he was another example of someone who apparently no one thought would be capable of doing something like that.  he was a religious leader in his community.  i think some people just snap, for whatever reason.  

personally, i tend to agree with what Michael Moore said in Bowling for Columbine.  it's not a gun control problem, but a problem of fear being perpetuated by the media.  kind of gives american's a quick trigger finger, wary of the "unidentified black male" you so often hear about on newscasts.  i know that's not always the case, and doubtful the explanation for these two cases, but i do think is responsible for a lot of unnecessary shootings.  maybe i got the facts wrong, but i thought Moore said there were more guns per capita in Canada than the US, but the murder rate up there is so low.  maybe their fingers are too numb to be pulling triggers all the time  
smile.gif

Numb, as in mellow perhaps?
That was very well said Sarracenia.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Travis @ Dec. 09 2004,9:06)]Tighter gun control. They will have to pry the guns out of my hands before I give them up. Send me to prison and I will still never give up mine guns...End of story on my part.
smile.gif
LOL.  Charlton Heston Jr.  That was the funniest moment, C. Heston holding up a gun after the columbine incident and proclaiming "From my cold, dead hands!"  No offense to Travis, but personally, people who think like that frighten me.  You'd think they'd give up their first-born before they'd give up their right to bear arms.  As long as our government stays in charge of this country, our right to bear arms will never be taken away.  Maybe it's wrong to think like that.  I don't know.  I don't have any guns, have no use for them.  I don't hunt.  I don't know why else you would need them.  You have a better chance of getting killed on the interstate then you do by random acts of violence.  How many lives have been saved by having guns in your home?  How many have been unnecessarily taken by having guns in your home?  Probably 50 times as many i'd guess.  i'm not at all against guns, i'm actually against gun control.  i just think too many people have them for the wrong reasons.  unless you hunt or are a drug dealer, you really don't need one.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sarracenia @ Dec. 10 2004,10:02)]No offense to Travis, but personally, people who think like that frighten me.  You'd think they'd give up their first-born before they'd give up their right to bear arms.  As long as our government stays in charge of this country, our right to bear arms will never be taken away.  Maybe it's wrong to think like that.  I don't know.  I don't have any guns, have no use for them.  I don't hunt.  I don't know why else you would need them.  You have a better chance of getting killed on the interstate then you do by random acts of violence.  How many lives have been saved by having guns in your home?  How many have been unnecessarily taken by having guns in your home?  Probably 50 times as many i'd guess.  i'm not at all against guns, i'm actually against gun control.  i just think too many people have them for the wrong reasons.  unless you hunt or are a drug dealer, you really don't need one.
I would much rather have a gun then a butter knife. My guns are in a safe besides my one hand gun. It is hard to get some points across through typing because you do not know the tone of the person’s voice and a lot of assuming goes on when reading. I admit my details suck but I am not going to write a 3 page report on why we need stop passing gun laws or on my beliefs on guns. All I can say is read some books and do some research.  
smile.gif

I agree with Travis...and Charlton Heston.  Don't blame this on firearms.  Blame it on the demented person who pulled the trigger.  
Guns do not kill people.  People kill people.

There are far more deaths caused by bad drivers, drunk drivers and stoned drivers than by people carrying firearms.  Who among you are willing to give up your cars?  Who among you are willing to give up drinking or doing drugs?
Hmmm!  Just as I thought...none of you.
Then I am not willing to give up my right to bear arms.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lauderdale @ Dec. 09 2004,11:53)]Guns do not kill people. People kill people.
Beat me to it.

Criminals will be able to get guns regardless of any gun control laws.

Back