What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

$@#^%&!

yah know when they saty stuff happens in threes they aint kidding. a couple weeks ago i slipped in the shower. it surprising how much damage a shampoo bottle can do. i wound up with a 2 inch wide by 8 inch long scrape on my back. no big deal. slept on my belly a few nights and will have a bit of a scar. last weekend cutting open a box of paper at the printshop the knife sliped and i cut my left hand about at the base of my thumb. it was deeper than i care for to doctor myself so i went up to the ER and they sowed me up with 6 stitches. another scar and some slight nerve damage as i dont have feeling just below the first joint of my thumb in an area about the size of a dime. no big deal, i have complete movement and feeling everywhere else. well last week i was joking with a guy i work with that stuff always happens in "threes" not taking it seriously. well guess what happened Saturday night?

i was leaving my parents, walked up to my truck, opened the door, shifted my weight to my left leg to hop up into it and "pop" my knee joint popped back, hyper-extending my knee, i saw stars, grabbed the steering wheel to keep from hitting the ground and invented a few new curse words. after a few minutes i crawled across the seat to the passenger side Darla asked if i was alright, i said i would be sleeping on the couch tonite b/c thats as far into the house as i was going to get and she drove me home and i hobbled into the house. i took a percicet and passed out. so i spent yesterday on the couch, with my leg propped up. pretty sure the cartilage is bruised in the front right hand side of the joint just like it was when this happened 4 and a half years ago. the only two things i cant figure out is why it happened as the ground was flat and i didnt trip, and why it didnt happen when i was out hunting some really rough country this past month. im glad it didnt but if it was going to just pop out why did it wait till there was no reason?oh wel Darlas having fun calling me gimpy for the time being.

Rattler

Ouch. I hope your okay rattler. Uh, oh, if one nepenthes dies then two more will die! I have to save that macrophylla! gotta go.

Sorry to hear about that Rattler. Hope your bad streak of getting hurt ends quickly. I do not know if it is me but I thought it was a funny story. I laugh at others pain most of the time. Trust me, I try not too... *sorry*

no big deal Travis, Darlas gotten a kick out of it to, shes been refering to me as Gimpy for a few days. actually i tried to write it for some humor value. actually good news is since this has happened once before i know its not worth going to the doctor to get scanned and poked and sliced open. the knee will heal on its own in a few weeks so no huge medical bill, dang MRI's run around $1,000.

Sorry to hear that,hope you get better soon.Just take it easy and let it heal good before you go doing much.

Jerry

actually while it hurt more right at that moment than the last time it seems to be healing faster than the last time but that could be due to the fact that some of the ligiments are already stretched out and not as sore as they were the last time. the only thing i cant figure out is why it hasnt happened any other time. if it was going to be prone to popping out i have no clue why it didnt pop out scrampling up and down the hills, im glad it didnt but i cant explain it.

I have gimpy knees and I've noticed the same thing - they would handle steep descents and heavy work and whatever.  But sometimes one would pop a day or two later while walking out the front door or something.  It's better to have it happen there than to have it happen while you're alone in badlands.  After the swelling is gone, get one of those stretchy support tubes.  They help keep the knee lined up and prevent a lot of those problems.

Sorry to hear that Rattler:(
Percacet(sp?) made you pass out? man not even morphine will do that to me...it would have to be demerol(sp?) or phenobarb(before I got used to it but it`s a trainquilizer anyhow Lol.) I did have realy bad withdrawl from percaset though.

Sorry about your luck, by now the swelling should be down...
Ironically, my lousy knee got popped out on Friday night, I was sitting at a table in a local restaurant and went to slide sideways to allow someone else to sit on the bench; Somehow my big ol' foot got caught in the table legs, somehow, and my durn knee popped out- for a split-second it hurt just like Rattler described (excellent description of searing agony, BTW man, I'm all to familiar with it myself) but it kinda died down, next day I was limping, and it still hurts a bit, but I think I got off a bit lighter than Rattler did

BE CAREFUL!!!!!! Even if you're sitting down you can hurt yourself real bad
biggrin.gif

Man, sorry about that! I wonder what you caught.... Was is am-knee-sia? Or was it the Knee-sles?

ill look for one of those tubes Bruce, i do have an all out brace but its made of neoprene and a couple aluminium supports but is uncomfortable to wear all day.

pondboy. i have a REALLY low tolerance to narcotics. Darla can work and put out a paper on 80mg of demerol(i think thats the amount? its a good sized dose anyways), i have seen her do it when she has had a bad migraine. a couple Tylenol 3's(tylenol and codine) knock me into la-la land and i cant work. i feel your pain on the bad withdrawl. after the first surgery on my knee almost 5 years ago they gave me hydrocodone and i had no clue what it was, should have known better given that after taking one i had about 20 minutes to get ready and comfortable before i was unconsious. after about 8 days of heavy use(i was in ALOT of pain as i think the doctor screwed up a bit) i got tired of being unconsious all the time and figured i would just grit my teeth and deal with the pain so i quit cold turkey. bad mistake, that was one heck of a 3 day hangover. ive been really leary of narcs ever since.

Keep a watchful eye on any lurking incidents, rattler! You never know when and how hard they'll bite.
Being called Gimpy is still better (and somewhat sweeter) than "The Gimp," at least... *shudder*
Get well soon!!

ouch what an unfortunate string of circumstances

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Dec. 14 2004,10:26)]ill look for one of those tubes Bruce, i do have an all out brace but its made of neoprene and a couple aluminium supports but is uncomfortable to wear all day.

pondboy. i have a REALLY low tolerance to narcotics. Darla can work and put out a paper on 80mg of demerol(i think thats the amount? its a good sized dose anyways), i have seen her do it when she has had a bad migraine. a couple Tylenol 3's(tylenol and codine) knock me into la-la land and i cant work. i feel your pain on the bad withdrawl. after the first surgery on my knee almost 5 years ago they gave me hydrocodone and i had no clue what it was, should have known better given that after taking one i had about 20 minutes to get ready and comfortable before i was unconsious. after about 8 days of heavy use(i was in ALOT of pain as i think the doctor screwed up a bit) i got tired of being unconsious all the time and figured i would just grit my teeth and deal with the pain so i quit cold turkey. bad mistake, that was one heck of a 3 day hangover. ive been really leary of narcs ever since.
Well never had a problem with Hydrodone. I went cold turkey on the percaset too....wow functioning on demerol! It makes me feel "weird" for a moment thenin a second I was asleep.

I`m also haveing withdrawl symptoms from going off the phenobarb and I`m just feeling realy tense(physically and emotionally) as well as feeling rather depressed(nothing compared to the percaset insident though) ever since I started weening off.

Yeah,bad things do seem to happen together! I found out today that my friend(of 5 or so years) Kelsey has a heart condition thing that makes it so that she could just keel over at any moment:( And they had alot of problems from the hurricanes there in pensicola Fl,and my grandpa has diabetes and high white blood cell counts,as well as low blood plateletts so he bleeds realy easy. and for the high white cells he needs low dosage chemotherapy,and he had a spleen that weighed 15lbs! Man evrybody just has problems at the same time,it`s like when it rains it pours....

Looks like liniment and Ace Bandages for awhile, Rattler, but you 'll be OK. When you get up to where I am age wise, well, everything starts to hurt, and you learn to live with it. Staying active like you do will help alot when you can get around again.

ya how ya dooin now?

Here is a home remedy for a swollen knee (or any joint):

Empty out the juice from all of the old Sarracenia pitchers that you can find. Dump the juice into a pot and warm it to body temperature. Soak your knee in it for about 4 hours. Let us know how it works.

hmmmmmm that would mean i would have to raise more Sarrs, dont think my two are up to the production level.

Finch, actually cant tell, no really notice anything related directly to the accident other than everyonce in awhile something causes my knee cap to stay put while the rest of my leg moves such as rolling over in bed will cause me to say a few choice words. dang Celebrex isnt working to well any more. it was great stuff for the first month, now it only works so-so. the Doc says next step is Cortizone shots into the joints
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
i havent gotten up the nerve to go ask yet, thats got to be a big dang needle

Back