What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's flu season

Well, it's that time again. Flu season. About half the kids in my class are sick and i was wondering who was sick here.

I myself have bronchitis (ugh). I can't even take a deep breath because it makes me cough. On tuesday i have a fever of 103 for a time, and i have a mild headache (took some advil for that).

Me!!! I'm stuffed up, sore throat, dizzy, and tired.

Capslock

Had the flu. How I love kindergarteners! they just LOVE to share.

My wife, my kid and myself have been experiencing some odd sicknesses. We get recurring bouts of lower abdominal agitation. Namely, cramps, vomiting, diarrhea. They've appeared randomly since around halloween. symptoms last about 24-36 hours, then you feel back to 100%. i would say we have each experienced it at least 3 times since halloween, never at the same time. took our kid to the doctor about it and he pretty much had no idea. ran blood and stool samples and came up with nothing. thought maybe carbon monoxide poisoning, have yet to get a detector, but i don't think it is it. we're thinking it has to be something in the house we're living in. we're moving out by the end of the month, so hopefully it goes away, whatever it is. i've had to call in sick to work twice, and leave early 1 other time, and i've only been working there since august. don't want to start out on a bad foot.

Story of my life... I rarely go a month without an ear or respiratory infection. Luckly enough, my classes finished up about ten days ago and I've managed to not contract anything yet.
NepenthesMaster, if it's accessible, try a tea of two parts dried ginger, one part lemongrass, and one part ginseng (not American - I'd recommend Korean.) Drink it twice a day, hot, and it'll help clear your lungs. It might make you feel a little feverish, so if you're running a particularly high temperature you should wait a while, but according to many schools of herbal medicine the best way to get rid of a fever is to encourage a high temperature and sweat it out.
Feel better.
~Joe

Haven't had the flu...but it does sound bad...the vomiting and all. I just have a runny nose as of yet.

sarracenia-- sounds like a bug thats been floating around up my way. Darlas two girls have had it they gave it to their grandpa. my sister and brother have had it as have many other ppl here in town. oddly Darla and i havent.

Hi,

Cold here last week. I stayed up too late too many nights and that did it. The second I felt it starting I started with Cold - eze and it made it alot less bad than it might have been -- quicker recovery.

Bobby

[b said:
Quote[/b] (seedjar @ Dec. 16 2004,5:19)]NepenthesMaster, if it's accessible, try a tea of two parts dried ginger, one part lemongrass, and one part ginseng (not American - I'd recommend Korean.) Drink it twice a day, hot, and it'll help clear your lungs.
Well, peppermint and chamomile tea are the only ones i have, and they seem to do a fair job. Thanks for the advice.

Looks like there are a lot of people like me who still post even while ill. I guess that's becaues it doesn't take too much energy, and you can't infect anyone (computer virus!).

I haven`t gotten the flu...and I opted not to get the shot this year too(they said because of my already being sick and haveing low whiteblood cell counts I should have it but I didn`t Lol.) I guess I`ve just been lucky. I hope you all have a speedy recovery:)

Hehehe... I spoke too soon. Went to campus today to talk with one of my teachers, and walked home in the cold. Now I've definitely got something cooking up in my sinuses. That's winter for ya.
~Joe

Pond Boy, with that, whatever it is you've got you should definitely get a flu shot.
Oh by the way, when i was at the doctor's office, she also said that it may be a mild form of pneumonia (pronounced new-moa-knee-uh). Since she didn't know for sure, she gave me a single antibiotic that is used to treat both.
smile_m_32.gif

i reread the thread and i realize NepenthesMaster you didnt say you had the flu BUT to all others i want to make sure you realize antibiotics do jack for the flu. antibiotics work against bacteria. the flu is a virus and antibiotics are useless for it. lay in bed, get lots of fluids and tuff it out.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Dec. 17 2004,12:04)]lay in bed, get lots of fluids and tuff it out.
a snort of whiskey usually helps too
smile.gif

I feel very dumb about all this, but I have been sick all week myself and so has my youngest. We went to the Doc yesterday, and he said that instead of pink eye, she may have influenza, which would be his first case this year. I said "Isn't that flu?" and he said "Yeah.".....
confused.gif

I think people use the term flu to cover any crud they come down with.
Rattler, you are right on that, logically. But every viral thing I have ever had has been prescribed with an antibiotic....funny.

Cheers,

Joe

Joe there is a reason for that. Doctors get alot of flack and ppl get right mad when they go to the doc, the doc says yah got the flu go home and curl up in bed you will be better in a few days. soooooooo docs to save them selves hassel just right a perscription. problem is this has led to some dang near bomb proof bugs. have you purchased any of the new antibiotics? the prices are through the roof. Z-packs are what $90 for 5 days worth of treatment? used to be penicilin would kill anything now its rarely used cause it just doesnt work anymore. we have to keep coming up with new stuff to kill the bugs that we used to be able to knock out with penicilin. antibiotics DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES work for viruses. the flu(influenza) is a virus curl up in bed, watch some TV and just tuff it out. if you have an abnormally high fever or that by all means go to the doc but dont ask for antibiotics as it will be a waist of your money

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Dec. 17 2004,1:04)]i reread the thread and i realize NepenthesMaster you didnt say you had the flu BUT to all others i want to make sure you realize antibiotics do jack for the flu. antibiotics work against bacteria. the flu is a virus and antibiotics are useless for it. lay in bed, get lots of fluids and tuff it out.
I said i have bronchitis, which is a bacterial infection.

Anyway, for a virus like a cold of the flu, i just take some advil, get an ice pack, and watch some TV.

The problem with antibiotics is that they used to give them out like candy. Now they're paying for it. I don't know which of you have been to indonesia, but CIPRO (best and last resource for antibiotics) IS OVER THE COUNTER AT ANY PHARMACY! I'd hate to see what happens when there is a plague of bronchitis or something...

honestly i couldnt remember if bronchitis was bacterial or not. ive never had it. you just started out the thread as flu season and in a later post mentioned antibiotics. my post was not ment directly for you it was tword the board in general. no offence intended or ment twords you NepenthesMaster.

I know, the words: 'all others' tipped me off. And no offense taken.
smile.gif

Well, I'm not sick.. yet (unless you count having diarhea and constipation AT THE SAME TIME for months straight). But my best friend Ariel was sick last week, and so was my friend Angelica.. and if anyone's watching The Daily Show lately, Jon sounds like he has a fish in his throat.

You cough when you take a deep breath when you have bronchitis? Apparently I've had bronchitis twice and survived without treatment.

Back