What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gps systems

• Thread starter Ozzy
  • Start date

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
I'm thinking about getting a Gps system. I know next to nothing about them. I what to use it to record and keep data on cp sites. I also what to use it driving and traveling.

Of course I want to get the best one for the lowest price.
Does anybody have any suggestions?

What about Garmin, they seem to have a lot of products and they seem to be better priced.

then go with them. about the only complaints ive heard from either company is someone unhappy about lack of certain features for certain models but that comes down to them not doing adiquate research before purchacing.

im not sure if all these are still produced but a check on ebay may find a good used one also im not sure how prices compare. ppl have told me they are happy with:
Garmin eMap
Garmin 12
magellan sport trak pro
Garmin 60CS(a more $$ one but ppl were VERY happy with it)

hope this helps

I have the Garmin StreetPilot III Deluxe, I like it. Have no experience with other GPS devices though. I wish there was more than one voice. I heard a different gps with a sexier female voice
smile_m_32.gif

Sometimes it doesn't show you the best or most logical route, but that is true for all gps units.

Can a road gps also serve as a reliable topo? And will they give reliable info when you're miles away from the nearest road?

I beleive the maps that come with the Garmin devices for cars expect you to stay on the roads.  You can buy different maps that will show topo.  However, the Garmin GPS made for cars are not meant to be portable where you can take it hiking or stuff.  I'm sure there's something out there that's portable and gives turn by turn directions for when you're driving.

sure you can get ones that show topo maps. some hunters use them in the back country. most that use GPS's however get a really good lower priced one and learn how to use a hard copy topo map of the area, that combination ALONG with a good compass, and knowing how to use it, is the best for finding your way. i think what you are looking for is the larger portables. or if you get a good one that doesnt have a map on screen you can probably save the data points you need on it and upload them onto a computer with topo map software. i think you need to do quite a bit of research and figure out just what EXACTLY your looking for and find a model that best fits.

Well I decided to get the Garmin etrex legend c.
I'm pretty happy with it so far. If anybody has one, let me know because I have a couple of questions about it.

Thanks for all the help.

Back