What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adopt a noob.

Though this was stolen from another forum, i thought it was a good idea (hy, look at battle of the pictures).
Older, experienced people must adopt a noob. Adoptors must have a post count over 500. Adoptees must be lower than 500 (or 500). Sorry if 500 is a little high to get adopted, but i didn't want to leave a whole group out...

Well, get adopting!

I'm going to adopt SunPitcher. I know he may not be a noob, but his post count is less than 500.

I don't believe in using post count to judge someones expertise. I haven't checked my post numbert-but I'm a total newbie. Some others who are very experienced simply may not post alot.

I do like the general idea of support group though.

I do not get this at all!...but thanks for picking me!

lol
smile_n_32.gif

I don't really either, i stole it from absforums but it seems interesting. I thought it would work well seeing as though i stole "Battle of the Pictures" from the same place.
smile_m_32.gif

Postcount is an awful indicator for skill.
Besides, it encourages spamming to raise your postcount which plagues this forum already in my opinion.
confused.gif

I check this forum every day but don't bother posting in most General Discussion topics. (I actually feel my brain turn all gooey while reading them)

People have to indicate themselves if they want to be adopted or adopt someone.
I think that setting up a good FAQ list might be more helpful though.

don't mean to sound harsh, but a waste of time, in my opinion. adopt them for what? show them how to post on the board? how to upload pics? tips on how to grow CPs? you can get that on here already, without having to have someone adopt you. also, post count has absolutely no correlation with "experience". about the only thing on here you could use is the date they joined, and then you have to assume they knew little or nothing prior to that. i guess what i am trying to say: what is adopting a 'newbie' going to accomplish that isn't accomplished on the forum already.

i agree with sarracenia..

i've got more posts than him but he's much more experienced...

I'm only going to adopt if I get a tax write off
smile.gif

I think everyone is adopted when they come here. We all teach each other and learn from each other. That's how I feel about it. A big waste of time if you ask me....unless Phil wants to add an "adopt" button.
smile_n_32.gif

The post count has nothing to do with knowledge. I know some people here that have less than 100 total posts and they have forgot more info about plants then some of the people know that have thousands. If you think about it, who would you think knows more about plants, somebody that is always on the boards posting nonsenses or somebody that spends most of their time growing plants.

Phil, you can adopt and use me as a tax write off if you let me live in your greenhouse.

Hmmm... i guess it is a bad idea then, the other forum was just a chit chat all the way forum with no real theme, so the post count and the moderator status is the only sign of knowledge/power.

I'm ashamed! *sob*

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]somebody that is always on the boards posting nonsenses or somebody that spends most of their time growing plants.
My sentements exactly. I can think of at least 3 people here that post nothing but nonsense and they have over 1000 posts.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]so the post count and the moderator status is the only sign of knowledge/power

I think you're missing the point. Mod status and post count have nothing to do with knowledge or power.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]My sentements exactly. I can think of at least 3 people here that post nothing but nonsense and they have over 1000 posts.

Thanks man, now who are the other two?
smile_h_32.gif

I don't think he ment in this topic Ozzy.
smile.gif

Just look in topics like "Battle of the Pictures" / "Word association" and such and you'll see the people CNCreefer is talking about.

I really can't imagine wanting to participate in that nonsense unless you're getting 'high' on an extra postcount.
smile_m_32.gif

I know he wasn't talking about just this topic, he's talking about posts in general.

When I first joined I had some specific questions about my P. primuliflora, VFT's, and D. spatulatas. But I REALLY knew very little about CP's, in general. Because of my lack of knowledge I participated in in Word Association profusely. It was a great way to get to know other people, in a non-threatening way, while I learned more about these plants. For someone who has a typical garden center plant, with little else but a few questions about soil media, watering, lighting, and dormancy, the fun topics are very useful. I can't say I know a great deal about CP's but I HAVE learned much. It just took some time. All that talk about Gibberilic acid and identifying species that all looked alike was overwhelming at first. They don't look nearly as so, now a year later. I DO have a lot of posts and many of them are on the frivolous topics. But I have been learning CP's & PC's right along.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Just look in topics like "Battle of the Pictures" / "Word association" and such and you'll see the people
yeah that's what I meant. I don't want to mention any names though.???

What about this, if you are a noob or just want to be adopted by a person who knows about cp's more then you then post here and someone will adopt you. The Adoption this could be like little questions that you would be afraid of asking on a forum but could ask your adoptee kind of as a parent.
If you want to be adopted fill out the following info

Cp genre (Like Neps, VFT's, ect... the one you like the most)
Knowledge (1 the lowest and 10 the highest)

I would like to be adopted
I'm 17
I'm mainly interested in VFT's and Drosera's alittle in Neps
My knowledge... 6-8 depending on what cp genre

Back