User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Sarracenia-flytrap-sundew terrarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope everybody had a great holiday - here it was cold and rainy almost all weekend, but had a good time anyway!

Okay, I just received as a gift one of these cube-shaped terrariums like they sell at Lowe's, etc. It has in it:

-Venus Flytrap
    -Drosera adelae (not labeled as such, but clearly is an adelae)
    -Sarracenia (labeled as "rubra" but picture on label looks more like a "purpurea"; plant looks like a "rubra" (actually it looks just like a leucophylla I had a long time ago, but this is smaller and doesn't have the white translucent markings))

My question is about separation. They are all healthy-looking right now. It is winter here, but since the flytrap has probably just come from a nursery, do you think it will need dormancy this year? Or at least drier conditions? While the D. adelae probably needs it a bit wetter. I am not sure how the sarracenia factors in because it has been a while since I have had one...

Right now they are still in the original container in my office under a standard office fluorescent light. Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks, John
    John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's getting a bit late to be putting them down now, but since they just came out of TC general wisdom is that they can go without dormancy this year.

Just invest in a good Compact Fluorescent bulb to give them enough light until spring comes, or keep them by a sunny (but still relatively warm) windowsill.

I haven't seen you around here before, so forgive me if you alreayd know, but I assume you kow the rules on watering and soil? In case you don't, just stick them in a mix of sphagnum moss and sand/perlite, and water with distilled/RO water.

Good luck with your new plants! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    The Best Part About Being a Sociopath is Never Having to Say You're Sorry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I hang around here and duck in and out, mostly "in" in the springtime.

That's what I was assuming (or hoping) - that they were probably just out of tissue culture or nursery conditions and wouldn't need the dormancy this year.

Should I think about getting the D. adelae in wetter conditions than the other two need right now?

Thanks!
    John