What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameras

• Thread starter Treaqum
  • Start date
What type of camera and lense should I get to take pictures of CPs?

what price range and i am assuming a digital?

You need something semi high-end for pictures of CPs. I doubt you're going film since the lenses would cost alot of money (macro lenses, etc). For a good Camera you should get a Canon Powershot S60 (5 megapixels, great pictures) i found it for $309 here
here are some sample images (those are big, when you resize them they'll look better)
the powershot S70 is, instead, 7.1 megapixels i found it for $375 dollars here
(i think its worth the aditional 70 bucks)
here are some sample images taken with the S70
Both cameras have a macro feature for getting up close (needed for taking pictures of cps) I recommend the 7.1 megapixel S70

Well my problem is $. Film camera's are quite a bit cheeper and seem to have better pictures. I was think a Pentax camera off of ebay (aboiut $30) with one lens. I can find lenses rather inexpensivly on ebay. Does anyone know if any of these will give good pictures of cps?
Pentax P3
Pentax k1000
Pentax MV1
But what type of lense do I need for close up pictures?
I have heard both telephoto and fisheye.

telephoto lenses are for shots when you are far from your subject.. you need a macro lens to get close up.

your basic film SLR (single lens reflex) is a fine and versatile camera..
the Pentax K1000 is the classic "student camera"..used by thousands of highschool and college students to learn the basics of photography..
I had one, and its an excellent, if very basic, camera.
it has auto-nothing! ;) but thats ok..

what you need with a camera like that is a basic lens (50mm) or a simple zoom, 35-80mm or something like that.
THEN! buy a "close up lens set"..
these are filters, (lenses really) that screw onto the front of you camera lens and allow you to focus MUCH closer than you can with the standard lens..

this basic Pentax K1000 with the standard 50mm lens:
pentax_k1000.jpg

PLUS a set of close-up lenses (might also be called close-up filters..same thing, different name)
http://i20.ebayimg.com/03/i/00/e0/bb/f6_1.JPG

will allow you to take excellent VERY close-up photos..
you dont need any special lens, dont need wide-angle or telephoto..a standard lens will do.
then its the close-up lenses/filters that allow the lens to focus so much closer..
they are kinda like magnifying glasses for your camera.
buy the camera first, and see what the filter size is for the lens (49mm, 52mm 55mm 58mm etc..thats the "filter size" of the lens) then buy the close-up lenses of the correct size to match your camera's lens..

Scot

if your going basic a Canon AE1 is an excellent and proven workhorse. there is a large number of lenses availible cheap if you look around ebay. i have one although ive gone to the Canon Rebel and use it more.

also Amateur_Expert all "macro" is, is the ability to focus on objects close up. my automatic focus lenses for my Rebel have a macro switch even my 300mm telephoto. you dont need a dedicated macro lens just one that has the option. i have seen manual lenses for my AE1 that will do both macro and telephoto.

Go with Olympus, Nikon, or Canon digital cameras. I know your main worry is the price, and sadly you'll pay big bucks if you want a decent camera.

I have the Olympus C-770 UZ if you'd like some background on it. It runs from about $500-$600 (when i first got it, retail in the local shop was about $800)

Prices are coming down on film cameras, now that digital is really taking over..a new Canon Rebel (film rebel) with 28-80 zoom can be had for under $200!
thats a great deal!

Scot

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Dec. 27 2004,2:02)]also Amateur_Expert all "macro" is, is the ability to focus on objects close up. my automatic focus lenses for my Rebel have a macro switch even my 300mm telephoto. you dont need a dedicated macro lens just one that has the option. i have seen manual lenses for my AE1 that will do both macro and telephoto.
True. Dedicated macro filters always work best though.

man am i dying for a canon 20d...

::drool::

Back