What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where does everyone stand in regards to...

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah I hate missionaries. And if you ask them something, they just say things "because the bible says so"
so why should I believe in the bible?
"because it's god's word"
how do I know it's god's word?
"because it says so right there in the bible"
... o... k.... *slams door*

in general i dont agree with missonarys ways or motives, not ther profound and irreversible effect on other cultures, particularly isolated ones. But i can recall atleast two cases in wich missionary intervention had an overall very positeve effect

It puzzles and amuses me at the same time how people get so complex about religious matters, when its based on faith. I mean how can you get complex about something that has no basis on fact or something physically proven? It's like trying to paint on a canvas with water.

By getting complex i mean, countering comments against what they say with something else. If you want an example read through some of the pro creationists posts.

I was talking about the people that go door to door trying to convert people. I'm sure missionaries have done a little good... I'm not sure if they've done more good than bad... since in the old times they went to rural countries to try and impose their ways into others and call natives brutes and stuff... *shrugs*

Ohhh....I hate those door to door Jahoves Witnesses:O They should sgo away if I want them to "preach" to me I`d ask them too!

and even if you ask them to preach and then ask questions, they suck at answering them :p
but ANYWAY.... evolution. lol

i know alot about the jehova witness religion. they belive in christian principles but also belive that in order to receive salvation, you must preach to others also. i prefer their bible.

To believe that everything stays the same from the moment of creation is foolish. Everything changes. You, me, the dog next door, the trees, etc.

Jehovahs Witnesses?? Evolution?? Creationism?? Christianity?? Whatever. It works best with man minding his own business, and living with nature, and not against it. Maybe then, we could actually witness animals evolving, and better understand the process. Whether God had anything to do with it or not, doesn't matter. What we think, doesn't matter. Whatever is going to happen down the road, will happen, and we can observe as much of it as we can while we can, and pass it on to the next generation coming up. I still only hear theory and conjecture, and speculation. Still no proof. But a good thread. Thanks, Alpha!

Like other scientific theories, evolutionary theory is modified as necessary so it agrees with new facts and interpretations.  What I originally learned is now outdated and I'm only 43.  The entire theory would be scrapped if a better theory came along.  Genesis, on the other hand, will remain unchanged and creationists make reality conform to what they were taught in Sunday school.  That's awfully arrogant and God must wonder how things got so wrong in His fan club.

I always talk with Jehovah's Witnesses.  When my late grandfather couldn't get out anymore, some would come over to his house to talk with him a couple times every week.  He was religious, and would argue with them over their ddifferences.  They knew he had his own church and would never see things their way, but they always came back and he looked forward to their visits.  It was more than a decade ago and in another state, but I appreciate them for it and will always give JWs some of my time.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What we think, doesn't matter
then why are you telling us what you think? What you think doesn't matter.
LOL just kidding... but it is a good question! You're telling us what you think for the same reason we are debating. Because it DOES matter what others think.
hmm... what do you mean no proof? didn't you read my posts? :p

religion = evil

examples;

crusades
middle east
terorrist.....

I think God made a mistake with humans..
well..God didnt make the mistake..He doesnt make mistakes..
what I mean is that evolution got to a point where it created us..and that was unfortunate..evolution created an animal of huge destructive power..God doesent like what we are doing with our level of intelligence..but thats our choice, not His.

I think all animals have souls, just like we do.
They all go to Heaven.
the only difference between humans and animals is that animals are fortunate enough to have not reached a point in their evolutionary journey where they have the capability to destroy their own environment..
Humans are a huge mistake..we were never meant to reach this point..
we are an unfortunate example of evolution gone astray.
I think God looks at us with a bit of regret..
we are out of control..we are doing things He wishes His creation would never do.
but He gave us free will..so He is just letting us mess things up on our own, maybe we will learn and grow..who knows.

He probably prefers dogs much better..
dogs are pretty much his ultimate creation!
and trees..im sure He must be very proud of trees.
maybe once we wipe ourselves out, dogs will have the opportunity to reach our level of intelligence and build a much better society..
or maybe rabbits..or even trees. (ents? they could run a planet well..imagine a world where Ents are the the most intelligent lifeform..it could happen. it could happen here. God has all of eternity to play with..I imagine he would like a planet with intelligrnt trees! why not..I would if I were God.)
sure God loves us..I dont doubt that..He doesnt hate us.
but I think we arent one of his favorite creations.
I hope that I will be able to witness evolution as it contiunes for the next several billion years, it should be very intersting!
I just hope we get out of the way in time for life to continue to evolve without us..we probably will..we will end up being just a blip in the history of life on Earth..its all good.

Scot

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]animals are fortunate enough to have not reached a point in their evolutionary journey where they have the capability to destroy their own environment..
they can and they do....
well... non native species HURT the environment by destroying it.
Native species (ie. elephants tearing down the .... GASP... it's in the tip of my tongue.... those thorny trees... .... finch, your assistance is needed
smile.gif
) "destroy" the environment but the environment is adapted for them too.

and I agree we are god's greatest mistake.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Dec. 29 2004,4:59)]well... non native species HURT the environment by destroying it.
Native species (ie. elephants tearing down the .... GASP... it's in the tip of my tongue.... those thorny trees... .... finch, your assistance is needed
smile.gif
) "destroy" the environment but the environment is adapted for them too.

and I agree we are god's greatest mistake.
good point about the non-native species..
but, Humans brought them to their non-native places where they could do "damage"..
if Humans didnt exist, those species would have never moved across the world..
so thats really our fault, the animals arent doing anything "wrong"..they were just introduced to a new environment where they can go crazy and eat..yes that harms native species, but that wasnt according to "natures plan"..humans caused interference in the plan! ;)

Humans are still that only animals that cause destruction and destroy willingly and knowingly..

scot

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]if Humans didnt exist, those species would have never moved across the world..
they could... let's say a bunch pigs floated (LOL) in a bunch of reeds washed away by a hurricane and landed on an island... and they began to eat everything
(ok ok... maybe not a PIG LOL but maybe frogs (ie... cane frogs)... like when there are water spouts that travel a long way and it rains frogs)

yeah, that happens!
Birds and insects have populated many far-flung Pacific islands by being blown out there by storms..
its believed that is how many of the birds first arrived to the Galapagos islands, then evolved into seperate species from the original common species, because each island has its own isolated population.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Dec. 29 2004,11:21)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]if Humans didnt exist, those species would have never moved across the world..
they could... let's say a bunch pigs floated (LOL) in a bunch of reeds washed away by a hurricane and landed on an island... and they began to eat everything
(ok ok... maybe not a PIG LOL but maybe frogs (ie... cane frogs)... like when there are water spouts that travel a long way and it rains frogs)
LMAO!!! :LAUGH:

well, at least they dont have the capacity to blow earth up
confused.gif
Right now there are enough nuclear bombs to blow the earth out of orbit...

Hmmmmmmm, all of this debating sparks my memory a bit when I was in kindergarten, about a year before I left Bosnia for the U.K.
It was a Catholic kindergarten, and we had minders who are nuns and minders who are normal minders(who didnt dress in all that nun clothing)
One day, when a nun came to mind us.
That day, I bought in some models showing how a human evolved from a monkey.
I said to her: Vidi te ovo, ovaku su se majmuni promjenili u ljude!!(Look at this, this is how monkeys changed into humans!!)
Then she said: Nije nego je bog svakoga napravijo(No, god made us all)
I said: Nije istina(Thats not true) mi smo jednom bili majmuni(we were once monkeys)
She said: Bog je svakoga napravijo(god made everything)
I said: Nije istina, mi smo se promjenili od majmuna!(gthats not true, we evolved from monkeys)
She said:Nije nego nas je bog napravijo!(no, god made us!)
I said: Mi smo se promjenili od majmuna!(we evolved from monekys)
She said: Nije nego nas je bog napravijo!!(no, god made us!!)
I said:MAJMUNI!!(Monkeys)
She said: Bog nas je napravijo!!(god made us!)
I said: MAJMUNI!!(Monkeys!!)
She said: Bog!!(God!!)

smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

Yes, humans are the only ones who wield those terrible weapons, no other animal is responsible for making them.
Only humans are to blame for the destruction of so many enviroments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back