User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 116 of 147 FirstFirst ... 1666106112113114115116117118119120126 ... LastLast

Thread: Where does everyone stand in regards to...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usually
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I do not agree that hybrids are nessicarily a new species. But in a quasy way they will be labeled here Since most hybrids do not look like either parent. I have to dissagree about the mice being a new species but will agree with the plant. Animal hybrids are hard to make fertile. The offspring are not "unfit" but odd. Plants work differently. Many hybrids of plants are fertile. Animals hybrids probibly are not fertile because so many have different numbers of chromosomes, A human-monkey hybrid could not be made because of this. Plants on the other hand can hybridize (as many of our garden plants, and cps are). Through hybridization which creates diploids and so on and hybridixatin with many other plants you can get a new species. Not because it can hybridize but because it looks and is different form all known species. If this was not true all Sarracenia would be one species. Plants like flava and oreophila probibly broke off from each other sooner then leucophylla and minor. If someone over a hundred years or so hybridised hybrids of Sarrs all into one plant with noclear orgins and spread it in the wild and claimed to have "discovered" it the plant could become a new species. It would still be able to hybridize but the ancestory would be very very hard to determine. Usually only natural creatures are called new species rather then the man made hybrids. Man cannot reproduce what evolution has made over centuries but man can reproduce what man has made.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Italy show that natural selection will produce alleles that bar interracial matings if the resulting offspring are unfit hybrids. This is an important exception to the general rule that intermixing races will not tend to become separate species because the constant sharing of genes minimizes the genetic diversity requisite for speciation
    I'm I the only one who interprets that as "if the resulting offspring are hybrids (which are unfit)"?
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How are Sarracenias not all one species?
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Jan. 18 2005,7:37)]
    Quote[/b] ]Italy show that natural selection will produce alleles that bar interracial matings if the resulting offspring are unfit hybrids. This is an important exception to the general rule that intermixing races will not tend to become separate species because the constant sharing of genes minimizes the genetic diversity requisite for speciation
    I'm I the only one who interprets that as "if the resulting offspring are hybrids (which are unfit)"?
    First off why does new always appear in red bold.
    Secondly what do you mean Alphawolf your question needs a few more words.
    Thirdly What does "Italy show" (see quote). Does that mean Italy shows or it shows?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ Jan. 18 2005,7:42)]How are Sarracenias not all one species?
    Uhhh.. because they vary genetically enough so that they are categorized?
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]First off why does new always appear in red bold.
    Secondly what do you mean Alphawolf your question needs a few more words.
    Thirdly What does "Italy show" (see quote). Does that mean Italy shows or it shows?
    first of I don't know what red bold "new" you're talking about :P
    the itally shows means that in itally that happens.
    now... if you ask me, the source of the confusion is this sentence
    "Italy show that natural selection will produce alleles that bar interracial matings if the resulting offspring are unfit hybrids. "
    to me, that sentence says:
    "In Itally, natural selection will produce alleles that don't let one race mate with another race if the resulting babies are hybrids (because the hybrids are unfit...)"
    I guess "unfit" could mean that they're deformed (the hybrids) or that they can't have offspring (like mules)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Treaqum @ Jan. 18 2005,7:44)]Italy show that natural selection will produce alleles that bar interracial matings if the resulting offspring are unfit hybrids. This is an important exception to the general rule that intermixing races will not tend to become separate species because the constant sharing of genes minimizes the genetic diversity requisite for speciation
    That makes NO sense to me at all.
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.