User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 12 of 147 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Where does everyone stand in regards to...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3. My favorite... structures.
    Vestigial structures/behaviors (did I make up the behaviors part?)- organs/muscles/etc that are useless now OR that they don't serve a purpuse that others with that structure use it for (again... I'm not very articulate :P... that's not a good definition...I'll explain later) many Fish, shrimp, salamanders, etc. that live in caves have black things that used to be eyes and are now completely useless. whale pelvises, snake pelvises, beetle wings, aerector pili (sp?) which are the muscles that give us goosebumps and raise our hairs, the muscles that allow us to wiggle our ears, reflexes like the grasping reflex in babies (both feet and hands... other apes use it to cling to their hairy mom.), the swimming reflex in babies (their throat closes up and they instinctibly know how to swim), etc.
    and
    homologous and analogous structures- homologous structures are our arms and whale flippers. They both have 5 digits, a radius and ulna, every single bone that we have, they have. Once again, beetle wings (even though useless, they're still wings), etc.
    Analogous structures are structures that serve the same goal but do it differently (what a horrible definition... but I can't be searching EVERYTHING now can I?) for example wings. Birds have wings, bats have wings, and insects have wings. You will never find a bat with wings like a bird or wings like an insect (before you say that that's how we group them, you will never find a bat with beaks or more than 4 legs or feathers or lungs like a bird's... etc. They either come together or they don't come at all)
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4. embryology- embryos usually have a couple of stages where they look like what they evolved from. Now... your religious textbooks will say that it was proved wrong, but they're not giving you the whole story.... I don't really know how to explain it so I will let someone else explain it for me. so anyway, if you look at how embryos develop, you will see that most (if not all) vertebrates (even tailess ones like humans) have tails at some time (sometimes human babies are born with tails. Usually there are no vertebrae but sometimes they have 3 or 5 extra vertebrae in the tail... I have pictures by the way :P) We also have gill slits (not gills), dolphins have front leg buds, Many species of snakes and legless lizards (such as the "slow worm") initially develop limb buds in their embryonic development, only to reabsorb them before hatching, etc etc etc...
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We KNOW mutations are possible, we KNOW there IS such a thing as good mutations, we KNOW natural selection is taking place, we can SEE and measure the changes of natural selection, we have even made whole new subspecies (dogs are a good example... I searched and found out that they're not a new species but subspecies). So we KNOW "microevolution" exists. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see how after a few thousand years, mutations build up and ta-da! you have a new species. Do you question if we can see and measure evolution in action?
    Actually, William R. Rice and George W. salt (lol... rice and salt) "have recorded a speciation event, or very nearly so, in their extended experiments on fruit flies. From a small stock of mated females they eventually produced two distinct fly populations adapted to different habitat conditions which the researchers judged 'incipient species'" (national geographic magazine quote)
    Peter and Rosemary Grant have done their research in the wild (galapagos) and have seen how the beak changes in the finches over time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DNA is also used... it is what all living things have in common. All living things have some sort of DNA (RNA is some viruses). DNA is used for taxonomic purposes since most fossils don't contain DNA anymore.

It is common sense that if a species (from generation to generation) mutates enough one of the mutations might be benefitial to the species, or even make it differ so much from the other members of that specie that it be called a whole new species... this process over a long period of time is evolution. It isn't like this is something that used to happen and doesnt happen anymore.. it still happens, is still happening, and always will happen.
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a different 2 cents on this kind of thing.. I am Christian, but I think most Christians' belief that evolution never occurred and that the earth is only 4,000 years old is foolish. Nowhere in the Bible does it directly discount evolution. Nowhere does it directly say that all life forms were created at the same time. Dinosaurs and humans did NOT live at the same time, no matter how some people choose to interpret the Bible. The Creation-in-7-days thing to me is not false, but I see it as a metaphor. Evolution is not an anti-Christ view. Why is it so hard to grasp the concept of God, yes, creating everything, but over millions of years, and causing evolution to occur by His hand? Why is this so hard to believe? The earth IS millions of years old and life DID start out simple, gradually evolving. I believe it is entirely possible that God MADE these things happen. Why is that such a hard concept to grasp, people? Evolution occurred and it occurred by His will. No, there isn't anything in science that proves evolution, but there's nothing in science that proves the universe being created and everything coexisiting instantly in 7 days, either. It's a metaphor. The truth, but still a metaphor. God created the universe and all organisms, but OVER TIME. I've heard many devout Christians saying that evolution, which they call "The changing of one life form into another," is "impossible". Hel-LO!! Evolution is not the changing of one organism into another, it's the changing OF a life form over time in reaction to climate changes, global warming, etc. Velociraptors did not change FROM velociraptors TO birds, they gradually adapted to their changing environment and survival needs and EVOLVED into what they look like today. They're the same species, just transformed, evolved. If God is capable of creating this whole universe, there's no reason He's not capable of making evolution happen. Even WE make evolution happen sometimes. WE made wolves evolve into Rottweilers, pit bulls, Pomeranians, Dobermans, Yorkshire terriers, etc. It's the same thing. Evolution is that simple. WE are evolving as we speak. Hundreds of years ago, in the early colonial times, people had larger mouths, broader jaws. Gradually our mouths and jaws are getting smaller due to all the soft food we eat today. It's EVOLUTION. We're changing due to lifestyle changes. For some reason we're also taller than we used to be. 5'8'' used to be TALL for a man. It's EVOLUTION.
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think human evolution has either halted completly or is slowing to a stop.
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I didn't say FORWARD evolution, now did I?
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, that's great... but...
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]The earth IS millions of years old and life DID start out simple, gradually evolving.
    so if god made us in his own image then is god a single cell? how does adam and eve fit with evolution?