User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 31 of 147 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181131 ... LastLast

Thread: Where does everyone stand in regards to...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and, keyboards
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I'm glad you posted that. I think that one's much worse than top-down thinking and you can see its negative influence in just about every social problem I can think of. Avoiding falling into that trap would be a crucial part of everyday mental self-discipline. Without it online forums would get 1/4th the traffic, but I think that's a sacrifice worth making. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes... very true.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm reading through Yahoo News as I'm going through forums, and I just hit an article full of top-down thinking.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm....gion_dc

A few tectonic plates shift as they have thousands if not millions of times in Earth's history. You would think geology would be explanation enough, but when using top-down thinking all sorts of semi-related unreconcilable mental conflicts start to appear.

And if you want to bring this ingroup-outgroup bias into the mix [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]... enemies of those regions would easily start to conclude very confidently that God was punishing those "wrong/evil/lesser" people. If the earthquake had occurred in the Middle East I have no doubt I'd be hearing this from people in my neighborhood even.

Meanwhile the simple shifting of plates is the status quo in billions of worlds in the universe and will continue to go on as usual whether there are victims of it or not.

And I feel I have to add this because I know what will happen if I don't. I'm in no way demeaning the suffering of the victims of this event. It's a horrible thing to experience... and pain is a wretched thing no matter what causes it and no matter who experiences it. I sincerely hope those people can find a way to bring happiness and success into their lives again.

I understand in my posts I haven't been addressing evolution/creation directly very often... but I have been addressing the philosophy of conclusion-making... which makes all the difference when examining either side of the argument. I support evolution because when looking at both sides epistemologically, it holds up pretty well (there will always be unanswered questions) while arguments against it don't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its not the whole story,

compedetiveness, pride, agression, hormones and sex all play, to a greater or lesser extent, a part in that. Compedetiveness and pride play the biggest roles
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    heh. I was listening to a radio talk show and these people called saying it was a punishment from god and stuff... yeah right. crazy extremists.
    speaking of the tsunami (NOT tidal wave)
    http://www.cnn.com/2004....ex.html
    some extremists would say that that's proof god was punishing US and that he favors animals.
    funny how people will turn ANYTING into proof of anything... or use things for political debates or something.
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I decided to start learning a little about politics this year, and quickly discovered I just couldn't stomach it. The political world is an unabashedly unsound place when it comes to logic and conclusion-making. So few people in politics seem to see any value in intellectual accountability... I don't get it. The fact that they have so much influence in the workings of the world scares me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)