User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 32 of 147 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282132 ... LastLast

Thread: Where does everyone stand in regards to...

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is one issue I would like to address, having been brought up by some of my friends. No doubt several of you have seen hyprocracy and abusive things done by people, in the name of the church or Chrsitianity. Please fon't blame God or institutions. The blame belongs to our species and, as what FTG referred to, as our sinful nature. Even the most well-meaning, well-respected Christians have an inward battle or struggle. Even though some Christians appear to have their acts together - outwardly - they have an on-going battle with their sinful nature. Those people of faith, exercise their faith by continually reading the Bible, learning from other other Christians, and praying to God for forgiveness (confession) and turn away from their sin (repentance).

High profile people like Jim Bakker & Jimmy Swaggart, who have been an incredible embarrassment, eventually humbled themselves before God, asked forgiveness, and received it. They DID pay for the consequences of their sin, as ought be expected. I do not defend their respective sin that got them in trouble, but I DO commend them for turning to God to turn their lives around. That, at least, they have in common with the Christians who have the inner struggle, but don't do anything nearly as obviously heinous. But what about the rest of the people? Since they do not coose to come before God, their unbridled thought life and behavior goes unchecked. those people, in extreme cases, are your Hitlers, Idi Amins, Saddam Hussein, and Osama bin Laden. This isn't "religion". This is sinful nature, manifested in ruthless ambition, totally apart from putting one's faith in God. God isn't telling them to do anything. They are telling themselves to do their atrocities. God isn't the one to blame. Humans are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very true.
    I wasn't talking about the actual religion but what it makes some people do.
    If people lived by the morals and stuff (the major religions anyway) religion taught, there wouldn't be evil.
    ALDOUGH! some institutions DID do bad things... maybe not now, but they DID do them.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my favorite quotes in the world is, "There's nothing more dangerous than a fool with a cause."

If you consider just how many fools there are out there (ourselves probably included, being ever human) a lot of the silliness in the world makes a lot of sense. Part of the intellectual self-discipline I was talking about includes being very very careful about the causes you choose, and being very very careful about how you carry them out. It's scary how easily ego, tunnel vision, and narcissism can invisibly worm their way into the actions of driven people. "What we want" becomes "what I want", but it unfortunately retains the false label of selflessness in the person's mind. It's one of the creepier forms of self-deception, I think.

Incidentally, I was reading about ingroup/outgroup bias online (no one had attached a name to it for me before) and came across this page:

http://sun.science.wayne.edu/~wpoff/.../prejudic.html

You'll like what it says about "Group Attribution Error", jimscott. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to ask this to all the creationists and religious people: what if the bible is fake? It was made by men and they could of easily made the whole thing up. On the contrary we have physical proof which we can use to back evolution up. What do you have that can back up the "fact" that the bible is real other than quotes from the bible itself?
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]And to those of you who keep calling religion evil, i say you are the ignorant, evil people, since you do not respect peoples rights and can only site a few instances where religion has been misused to base your accusation on
    Maybe you're a fool for beliving something that was written by man.
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all about Faith.
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I won't accept a quote from the bible. i want proof that the information in it is sent from our creator. Faith isn't an answer either.

If you want me to give you physical proof and facts that evolution is a true, i can give it to you. There is so much that i could be posting here all night.
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    since we're sharing links and everything (I have tons of links lol)
    this is a very interesting site.
    http://www.freewebs.com/oolon/SMOGGM.htm
    wow... look at the hyena one!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ): Yes, I DID appreciate Group Attribution Error

John: I was an atheist at your age, with the same demand for definitive proof. I never got it. I DID, however, get evidence that absolutely required faith. Nobody can produce definitive proof, nothing that couldn't be explained way or rationalized. Faith is a choice one makes after assimilating what is before them. If you want to choose to have faith, then the facts before you will be adequate, even with doubts. If you want to choose to reject the evidence, there will never be anything to satisfy you.

Luis: Interesting site. I was looking for hay fever. Didn't see it.