User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 37 of 147 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787137 ... LastLast
Results 289 to 296 of 1176

Thread: Where does everyone stand in regards to...

  1. #289
    endparenthesis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    1,262
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Rubra @ Dec. 31 2004,4:09)]Okay, maybe the Bible was written by a by a bunch of idiots, but those "idiots" made detailed prophecies centuries before hand that were fulfilled in every way.
    There are prophets in many religions who have made accurate predictions. There are also future-seers who aren't considered to be religious prophets like Nostradamus and various other psychics through the centuries who have made accurate predictions as well.

    Does making accurate predictions about the future indicate that someone has a direct line of communication to God and can be trusted concerning the true state of the spiritual universe? If so, why pick Christianity and ignore the other religions with prophets in their history? What makes some future-tellers with accurate predictions more valid than others, beyond the fact that one group conveniently confirms what you believe and the other group doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I agree that there are tiny organisms that act in some ways like plants and in some ways like animals. But there is nothing substancial that has evolved from these things. Almost all organisms must have decided on one characterisic or another because this would make them more hardy, right?
    What about a third kingdom of large, complex organisms entirely different from animals and plants... why don't they exist? You could come up with ideas for thousands of possible species that you think should exist but don't. The fact that they don't exist isn't evidence. Evolution doesn't progress based on expectations. It's merely a process of results. Things not appearing very planned out fits the concept of evolution very well.

    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Also, it has been scientifically proven that all humans today are descended from one pair. I guess that means that a male superanimal and a female superanimal evolved at the same time and then continued to thrive while all others died out.
    If one creature mutates into the imaginary threshold of "homo sapien" (a line between species doesn't exist... I don't know why people don't get this... it's the classification that has a harsh boundary, not the reality), that doesn't mean the creature suddenly can't breed with those around it.

    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]The explanation for creatures and ape-men that aren't around today - The Flood (of which there is also evidence). It's all pretty simple.
    If you can believe in the Noah's Ark story you can believe anything, unfortunately. The great thing about top-down thinking is since one "knows" the conclusion ahead of time, one can manufacture anything to "explain" away any discrepancy along the way. It's conveniently self-sustaining, which is why it's such an easy trap to fall into.

    But people's faith isn't really what I take issue with in this thread. There are plenty of things I have faith about rather than knowledge. I'm mainly concerned about people misinterpreting and strawman-ing science in a feeble attempt to use it against itself. I'm not bothered by the belief in creationism because it isn't a threat to science in the way science is a threat to creationism... but we might as well get some facts straight at least.

  2. #290
    God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Lafayette, IN
    Posts
    1,559
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Quote
    There is SOOO much that we could be posting.

    well post it. You're not very credible by just saying that.
    Then you post it.... since youre not posting it, that doesn't make you very credible does it?

    I'm hearing a lot of this "you don't understand evolution, youre WRONG!!!!" Here is another point. You don't really understand creationism very well, so don't even think about getting mad if we don't understand evolution when you don't understand creation. I'm not pointing at anyone spacific, cause we're all guilty of it.
    ~Wes~

    My plants are going green to save the environment

    My Growlist

  3. #291

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    2,344
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]But there is nothing substancial that has evolved from these things.
    oh of course not... unless you count algae, plants, fungi, and animals.
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Also, it has been scientifically proven that all humans today are descended from one pair
    umm... can you give me a source? last I heard we came from just a few pairs... and that's because of a supervolcano exploding and killing off most of the civilization.
    speaking of adam and eve..
    first of all, If eve was made from adam's rib, she would have (technically identical... but let's say it wasn't) very similar DNA. If you don't believe in evolution, then how the heck did all the variations come about? How can chinese have straight hair and blacks have curly hair? How can people have types A, B, O, AB blood? How come we have so many skin tones? etc? Some of those could have never come from just TWO people (If you don't believe in evolution that is)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ] The Flood (of which there is also evidence). It's all pretty simple.
    what evidence?
    people people!!! stop saying there is evidence and not saying anything else! sure, WE are ignoring facts. What facts? I don't know. Nobody told us. sure, there is tons of evidences for creationism. What evidence? I don't know. Nobody told us. Sure, there's evidence for the flood. What evidence? I don't have any clue because nobody bothers to tell us.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

  4. #292

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,706
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've been posting links and proof throughout this whole thread.
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

  5. #293

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Posts
    2,160
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Wesley @ Dec. 31 2004,5:35)]Then you post it.... since youre not posting it, that doesn't make you very credible does it?

    I'm hearing a lot of this "you don't understand evolution, youre WRONG!!!!" Here is another point. You don't really understand creationism very well, so don't even think about getting mad if we don't understand evolution when you don't understand creation. I'm not pointing at anyone spacific, cause we're all guilty of it.
    I understand it as much as you, I have been educated creatisonism since I was very small, but turned to science when I was older.
    And the flood only flooded some parts of theworld, not the whole earth as the bible claims.
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

  6. #294

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    2,344
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]The bible has hundreds of versions, and hundreds of variations. How can it be the most consistant book ever written?
    not to mention hundreds of possible interpretations. After all, who knows when metaphors begin and when they end?
    ok... here's what merriam webster dictionary says:

    cre·a·tion·ism
    Function: noun
    : a doctrine or theory holding that matter, the various forms of life, and the world were created by God out of nothing and usually in the way described in Genesis

    let me emphasize "created by God out of nothing"... I don't know how you (you as in you all... I'm not singling out anyone) would twist it but to me that means that there is nothing before and you create something. If there's a horse-like thing that mates and gives birth to a horse, that is NOT creating a horse out of nothing.
    I'm talking about that creationism. The one that says evolution is wrong. We're talking about evolution not the big bang or anything else so we're talking about the part of creationism that involves evolution.
    I don't know about you but I don't want to specify which type of creationism (some of the most extreme creationists believe the earth is flat. I am NOT saying all of or even most of creationists believe that though) I'm talking about because it's pretty logical we are talking about the one concerning evolution
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

  7. #295
    endparenthesis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    1,262
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And while I'm thinking about it, I'm surprised Adam and Eve haven't really come up much in this discussion. They're in the bible. The bible is believed to be the truth. There's been a lot of talk about how one can believe in the bible and evolution at the same time... I'm having trouble seeing how one could fit the literal Adam and Eve story in there. Neanderthals and humans coexisted... were they in the garden of eden? Adam and Eve were bestowed with language from the get go. What does that suggest about the anthropological history of the development of language? It's thought that neanderthals may have had a primitive form of language... was it given to them too? Obviously if you believe in evolution you have to believe that creatures lived for millions of years before the Adam and Eve story (i.e. dinosaurs)... but it's said that there was no death until the fruit of knowledge was eaten. Does that mean there was no death for those millions of years (which I hope sounds completely absurd)? Or were all the carnivorous animals modified when the garden of eden was created and then changed back after the fall? Why would a perfect being need an eraser on his pencil when he was creating the world?

    I know the "answer" is faith and all that... it's just mind-boggling to me that people can confidently say that the old belief that the sun was a chariot of fire was obviously a naive myth born out of ignorance of the workings of the world, and then wholeheartedly believe in these biblical stories at the exact same time.

  8. #296
    endparenthesis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    1,262
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Wesley @ Dec. 31 2004,5:35)]I'm hearing a lot of this "you don't understand evolution, youre WRONG!!!!" Here is another point. You don't really understand creationism very well, so don't even think about getting mad if we don't understand evolution when you don't understand creation. I'm not pointing at anyone spacific, cause we're all guilty of it.
    I would love to hear a solid creation theory. I can't find any so far.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •