User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 58 of 147 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108 ... LastLast

Thread: Where does everyone stand in regards to...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL vestiged to death.

Many times things come out missing useful organs too...or otherwise whatever it is is misshapen...missing gill plates, fins, bent spines, etc. etc.(in fish)
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well yeah and if missing that is bad, then they die. If it's good (as in missing wisdom teeth or something) then you are more likely to survive and pass those genes to your offspring. When more of the DNA is changed, you become different enough to be a subspecies, and when enough of the DNA is changed, wouldn't be able to have (fertile) offspring with the "parent species" (lol... did I just "coin" a term?) and TA-DA! you're a new species! and evolution has occured!
    But of course wisdom teeth aren't enough to drive evolution because it doesn't really affect how many offsprings you have.
    or if it' does, it's so slightly that you can dismiss it completely.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Jan. 02 2005,6:44)]well yeah and if missing that is bad, then they die. If it's good (as in missing wisdom teeth or something) then you are more likely to survive and pass those genes to your offspring. When more of the DNA is changed, you become different enough to be a subspecies, and when enough of the DNA is changed, wouldn't be able to have (fertile) offspring with the "parent species" (lol... did I just "coin" a term?) and TA-DA! you're a new species! and evolution has occured!
    But of course wisdom teeth aren't enough to drive evolution because it doesn't really affect how many offsprings you have.
    Not neccessarily. You could raise most of these oddities to full grown fish if you wished. So theoretically, gill plates/pelvic fins would become vestigal organs...eh?

I don't see how missing, say, chemoreceptors...would be considered *good*.

The hardest part for people to accept of course(even scientists have trouble with classifying species-so I don't consider that much evidence of evolution, it would be smart to make creation slightly elastic to adapt to change that is certain to occur) would be the first cell Fish-amphibian amphibian-reptile reptile-bird reptile-mammal and of course "ape"-human being.

Edit: hopefully this brain picking and researching(and my attempt to think like a creationist...did I do well? LOL) will help solve your hyperactivity [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] ....hey, would extra energy be considered a "vestigal trait"? Perhaps in the oncoming generations humans will turn into some kind of vegetable with well developed typing appendages

Sorry couldn't resist [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    1 Nxventrata

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]You could raise most of these oddities to full grown fish if you wished. So theoretically, gill plates/pelvic fins would become vestigal organs...eh?
    I don't see how missing, say, chemoreceptors...would be considered *good*.
    oh... I guess missing chemoreceptors aren't vestigial LOL. I got a little off track :P (same as the vitamin C thing... OOPPSS! that's not vestigial!)
    well, YOU could rasie those fish like that. If they were in the wild, they wouldn't survive. You can also rasie albino animals in captivity but in the wild most of them die very soon. (but that's an example of how mutations are either good or bad depending on the environment... If you have an albino ... ehh.... luna moth in captivity, it would be good for them because humans would raise them and care for them and TRY to get more albino lunas or pythons or whatever they happen to be) so they wouldn't become vestigial structures because they're missing :P (again... my fault :P)
    Quote[/b] ]even scientists have trouble with classifying species
    well... that's mostly with plants that are very... frustrating... because different genera and I think even some families can hybridize. Every scientist I know agrees that if two populations cannot interbreed and have fertile offspring, they cannot possibly be the same species.
    [QUOTE=[b]Quote[/b] ]The hardest part for people to accept of course(even scientists have trouble with classifying species-so I don't consider that much evidence of evolution, it would be smart to make creation slightly elastic to adapt to change that is certain to occur) would be the first cell Fish-amphibian amphibian-reptile reptile-bird reptile-mammal and of course "ape"-human being. [QUOTE]
    what do you mean by that? You mean like in fossils?
    hopefully this brain picking and researching(and my attempt to think like a creationist...did I do well? LOL) will help solve your hyperactivity ....hey, would extra energy be considered a "vestigal trait"? Perhaps in the oncoming generations humans will turn into some kind of vegetable with well developed typing appendages
    LOL!!! I'm half way there :P
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    However, in nature the deformed organism isn't likely going to survive and reproduce, and even if it did the deformity is likely to be developmental, not genetic. Even if you did raise it to adulthood in a controlled environment and the defects were genetic, vestigalism does not happen in the next generation. The time required would far outlast our lifespan, so we would never see the results. And yes, I know vestigalism is not a real word.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so now we're playing devil's advocate? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=[b]Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Jan. 02 2005,6:59)]
    Quote[/b] ]even scientists have trouble with classifying species
    well... that's mostly with plants that are very... frustrating... because different genera and I think even some families can hybridize. Every scientist I know agrees that if two populations cannot interbreed and have fertile offspring, they cannot possibly be the same species.
    [QUOTE]The hardest part for people to accept of course(even scientists have trouble with classifying species-so I don't consider that much evidence of evolution, it would be smart to make creation slightly elastic to adapt to change that is certain to occur) would be the first cell Fish-amphibian amphibian-reptile reptile-bird reptile-mammal and of course "ape"-human being.
    what do you mean by that? You mean like in fossils?
    Not always. In the case of many killifish killifish keepers are wary of getting populations mixed up as sometimes the results will be sterile(often results in sterile males) or otherwise end up with problems. But they are classed under the same species.

Nope-not just fossils...just the idea/blotchy evidence.

Much easier just to act like an insect instead of procrastinating what we will become next [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had never even heard of killfish :P
    aldough that is interesting... but to me it just proves evolution. The killfish are like transitional organisms. I believe (don't take my word for it because I heard it from someone else... aldough I do trust him) There are also some gulls somewhere in some island that the populations next to each other can mate and have fertile offspring but populations far away can't...
    Quote[/b] ]Nope-not just fossils...just the idea/blotchy evidence.
    can you explain that? I'm not sure what you mean.
    Quote[/b] ]Much easier just to act like an insect instead of procrastinating what we will become next
    Procrastinating?