User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 61 of 147 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111 ... LastLast

Thread: Where does everyone stand in regards to...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally think it's a little pointless to be asking for proof of God too. If something is allegedly above the system, proving it within the system wouldn't make any sense to me. Like bending the spoon in the Matrix... you can't bend the spoon from the level in which the spoon exists. You can come up with some pretty solid conclusions about God philosophically, but that isn't proof. The word proof gets misused a lot.

There are some claims that have been made about some of this particular God's actions that I think have been sufficiently disproven, however.

Anyway, what I'm bothered by is people A) trying to prove creationism scientifically by using awful pseudoscience that no real scientist ever stood behind, and B) stating beliefs coming from little more than faith as factual information, and encouraging those listening to treat them as such. Having beliefs and calling them beliefs doesn't bother me.

I do implore theists to ask themselves some serious questions about what they think God really is. There is a huge difference between what we and what people in biblical times can conceive of. Even as a child you learned very complex things about the world (i.e. germs, solar systems, atoms, etc.) those people never dreamed of. More information flows through your brain in a year than they experienced in entire lifetimes. I'm probably even being conservative here. Limiting yourselves to a God envisioned by those people is a little like graduating 2nd grade in school and saying, "That's it for me... I know all I need to know now." I'm personally not an athiest, but the "God" I envision is so completely unlike anything ever suggested to me by old school religions that I can't even bring myself to call it that... that word has too many connotations I just don't want to deal with. I have more in common with athiests than I do with the typical believers of western religions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I do implore theists to ask themselves some serious questions about what they think God really is. There is a huge difference between what we and what people in biblical times can conceive of. Even as a child you learned very complex things about the world (i.e. germs, solar systems, atoms, etc.) those people never dreamed of. More information flows through your brain in a year than they experienced in entire lifetimes. I'm probably even being conservative here. Limiting yourselves to a God envisioned by those people is a little like graduating 2nd grade in school and saying, "That's it for me... I know all I need to know now." I'm personally not an athiest, but the "God" I envision is so completely unlike anything ever suggested to me by old school religions that I can't even bring myself to call it that... that word has too many connotations I just don't want to deal with. I have more in common with athiests than I do with the typical believers of western religions.
    Let's see, what do I think God really is... my best friend, and the guy who gives me meaning, and joy beyond anything I ever experienced before a came to know him.

All knowledge fits within the framework of Christianity. There is not one thing, neither scientific or spiritual, that can't be explained by Scripture. However how will all the knowledge in the world help when we die?

Peter
    the cellist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the knowledge in the world will be meaningless when we die, but it would sure help alot before then. I also think that the appendix assisted in the digestion of the sinew in meat - I don't believe that humans ever ate "woody" plant parts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (buster1 @ Jan. 03 2005,10:57)]I also think that the appendix assisted in the digestion of the sinew in meat - I don't believe that humans ever ate "woody" plant parts.
    I don't think we were human yet when the organ was functional.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Knowlege may help us in many ways, but two thousand years ago Jesus was healing paralytics, which no medical discoveries have yet managed, and it only took God's power and a little bit of faith.

As for the appendix, that was probably made for vegetarians [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Peter
    the cellist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Was it Luis who said he wanted proof of God's existence first? I WAS where you were at! I can't give ya proof. Nobody can. Any evidence that can be provided - can also be rationalized away
    well, Like I said, "god" made me HAVE to have proof. If I'm going to base my beliefs on and go to church every sunday and pray and stuff, I'm not going to EVER be satisfied with just faith. Otherwise it wouldn't be ME. I don't know who the heck that would be but it wouldn't be ME. I HAVE to ask why. like I've said before, I was raised a catholic and even went to a catholic school from grades 1 to 5 but It's just my personality to ask "too many questions". I can't help it.
    Quote[/b] ]I would challenge you all to read the Bible, from cover to cover, and ask the very God that you don't believe or are not sure about, to show you the truth.
    whoa! that would take FOREVER (well... I would anyway), I can't understand 90% of their language and metaphors and stuff. I'm not very poetic and it would be pure suffering trying to read something with as many metaphors and poetic language and language from I don't know where :P and besides, I still wouldn't know if it was just a work of fiction or the real truth (maybe I would because I'd be wishing it was true and I hadn't just wasted so much time of my life)
    Quote[/b] ]I personally think it's a little pointless to be asking for proof of God too. If something is allegedly above the system, proving it within the system wouldn't make any sense to me. Like bending the spoon in the Matrix... you can't bend the spoon from the level in which the spoon exists. You can come up with some pretty solid conclusions about God philosophically, but that isn't proof.
    You can't bend the spoon because of worldly limitations. God has none. It would be very, VERY simple for him (if he created the whole universe, why not save us from ETERNAL suffering [that still boggles my mind... ETERNAL! infinite! never ending! Just like the duracell rabbit- it just keeps going and going] and come and TELL us once again) We're talking about an omnipotent god that knows exactly what it would take me to believe and hasn't given it to me.

I'm an agnostic which means I don't know if there really is a god or not. I do believe, however, that If there is a god, it's not like the bible or any other descriptions of god I've heard. Those just don't make sense to me. A perfect being that punishes people by ETERNAL suffering for what they did in their short and ignorant life spans? A perfect being that punishes the babies and the babies of the babies and the babies of the babies, etc of the parents that sinned? that just doesn't make sense. I don't think nice PEOPLE (I know I wouldn't!) would do that, let alone a perfect being!
    and I'm not satisfied with the answers I'm sometimes given.
    "have faith", "god works in mysterious ways", "it's a metaphor", etc.
    You can use that to "prove" the lord of the rings is the one true book. (well, if the author had meant it to be one and written in a couple of simple sentences saying that that book was inspired by god, that it was true, etc)
    It's like I've said before... when you ask people why you should believe in the bible-
    "because it's inspired by god"
    -how do I know it's inspired by god?
    "because it says so in the bible"
    -ok, but why do I believe the bible when it says that?
    "because it was inspired by god"
    ... right.

on a totally unrelated note, I still don't know what "facts" we were ignoring... (lol... is me asking for them getting annoying?)
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't help but be rational :P
    besides, I'm happy enough as I am. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] I don't need religion to be happier.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Waitaminit!!!!! Alpha! I thought this about the evolution of the species. That didn't have a lot to do with evlolution. Focus, Grasshopper! A Shaolin Alpha can walk through the Chain Of Life! And evolute!!!!!!!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC