User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 68 of 147 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278118 ... LastLast
Results 537 to 544 of 1176

Thread: Where does everyone stand in regards to...

  1. #537

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    2,344
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]How do you know that evolution is not just a tool of this greater power, or maybe this greater power is just observing earth as a closed ecosystem that it created and allowing things to progress as they will.
    I don't know. I'm just saying that evolution is real.
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]The terms "creationism" and "evolution" are very broad and mean different things to different people.
    and for simplicity's sake we're talking about the branch of creationism that doesn't believe in evolution (that believes every single species in this earth was created as they are right now by God and that they haven't evolved into other species) so in that sense they ARE incompatable (as I've said many times before... why the heck would we be debating then?). I don't care if you also believe that there the big bang is stupid (hey, even I'm not sure I believe in the big bang) or that god created a bacterium and put it here to evolve.
    The evidence is overwhelming on the part of evolution, and that is what I'm concerned about.
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]supports creationism since the only way for it to happen is in the lab with the application of human Intelligence.
    they replicated the enviornment as it was billions of years ago. Right now it does take human intelligence because we don't live "in the same world" that life appeared on.
    and they're just trying out combinations. For example lipids like to stick together and for some reason clay makes those lipids form a hollow sphere (cell membrane).
    Scientists are not just trying to create life by taking an already formed cell membrane and adding in stuff. They're doing it from the basic up.
    It has also been proven that certain things occur naturally (ie. amino acids in meteors) so it's obvious that doesn't take human intelligence.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

  2. #538

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Martinez, California
    Posts
    3,556
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great food for thought, AE!!! Thanks! So far, Alpha, I have researched what I could, and have way too much more to see with my own eyes before saying too much more. However, It still occurs to me that Creationists have some valid points too, however badly it may seem to you. I still think that the two should be studied side by side not as one versus the other as a sports contest, but rather, in what way does evolution fill gaps in Creation Theory, and how does , or can, Creationism Theory compliment or fill supposed gaps in Evolution Theory. Now THAT could get interesting. You might even uncover something because of it, not thought of before. Just a thought. No more.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

  3. #539

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    784
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting, Bugweed, and very well said!

  4. #540
    Capslock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,088
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cannot agree, Bugweed. There is simply no scientific basis for creationism that would warrant it being taught side by side with evolution. Contrast this with the work of thousands of geologists, biologists, anthropoligists, paleontologists, chemists, physicists and others whose work supports and bolsters and continuously hones evolutionary theories.

    Creation "theory" isn't really a theory as much as a theological assertion, one that flies in the face of mountains of evidence of both an ancient earth and the fact of genetic mutation and change. Without a lot more real evidence, they are just not on any sort of parallel, and insufficient basis for teaching as science as policy, at very least in public institutions.

    Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

    My photos are copyright-free and public domain

  5. #541

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Martinez, California
    Posts
    3,556
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever, Caps. I am still thinking of commonalities between the two. I would study that real hard before pronouncing it a dead idea. If you don't look at it, and close your mind, you could miss one heck of a revelation, or totally prove your point. So look, don't look. Still just a thought, with no biblical or theological thought to be in the way. Study the theory, not the reason behind the theory,i.e. God did it**God didn't do it. You are looking to prove the evolution idea. Study both trains of thought, and move on from there. Reject one if you must, but at least give it a thorough going over to see what might be there to suprise you. Closed minds kill science. Open minds build science.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

  6. #542
    Capslock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,088
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't get me wrong, Bugweed, I'm all for looking and learning. I'll entertain the craziest of ideas, and enjoy the intellectual exercise of doing so.

    I was only speaking to the issue of what is taught in schools, which is where I think professional responsibility dictates one direction over the other. It's not like people haven't thought about this before, and it's fairly easy to see where the evidence stacks up. But this is ONLY limited to public policy.

    I'd be fascinated and delighted to find out that the prevailing notions are wrong. I get more jazzed about being shown to be wrong than right, odd as that seems. I also love a good mystery, as reality often turns out to be dry by comparison. I have no personal stake in this; although I'm an atheist, my father is a Biblical scholar, and we love to explore what it all means in the greater contexts. I guess I have the reaction I have to this particular issue because of the way it's been handled by school boards and used by politicians over the past several years, and it's made me somewhat reflexively defensive, for which I apologize, as I really do favor all intellectual exploration.

    Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

    My photos are copyright-free and public domain

  7. #543

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Martinez, California
    Posts
    3,556
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for clearing that up, Caps. I know what you mean about learning something once thought right was bogus, and being 'blown away" by that knowledge. Precisely why I said study the Creationists views and studies, cull out the theological, look for science backed/based studies within the Creationist framework, and go to town!. But again--Study it. I wouldn't advocate teaching it----yet. Too much to learn, but I am doin' my best!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

  8. #544
    God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Lafayette, IN
    Posts
    1,559
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I cannot agree, Bugweed. There is simply no scientific basis for creationism that would warrant it being taught side by side with evolution. Contrast this with the work of thousands of geologists, biologists, anthropoligists, paleontologists, chemists, physicists and others whose work supports and bolsters and continuously hones evolutionary theories.
    You know for a fact that there is NO basis for creationsism, be it Christian, Hindu, Islam etc? So you have resarched them and compared them side by side, otherewise there is know way to prove that there is no basis to creationism. We have been talking an aweful lot about proving, and that would be a bit of a blunder to go and do that.
    Contrast it with the work of all the thousands of geologists, biologists, anthropologists, paleontologists, chemists, physicists, and others whose work supports and bolsters and continuously hone creation theories.(I know I coppied you but I didn't wanna try and come up with my own thing LOL)

    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I was only speaking to the issue of what is taught in schools, which is where I think professional responsibility dictates one direction over the other. It's not like people haven't thought about this before, and it's fairly easy to see where the evidence stacks up. But this is ONLY limited to public policy.
    PROFESSIONAL responsibility dictates one direction over the other......... Ugh if you think it's professional to ban the saying of the pledge in the public schools, saying "merry Cristmas"(or did I dream that cause the term "Christams" literally means "Christ worship" LOL, I can't remember) Oh and it's also illigal to sing "Silant Night" and other such Christmas carols because of "suggestive" wording.... and yet these "artists" are all singing about sex, drugs, cussing, etc. Real professional in my opinion. I know you were talking about evo being in the public schools but the same people that allow all the other crap also allow evo and have banned the 10 commandments(they are just rules), Bibles (be it private property or not), and other harmless things.... Anyway before anyone takes offense( I hope you aren't on the school board I really do....) I'm gonna stop. Oh and its all true( it was in the news.... but then again that might be why its false if it's false LOL)

    IMHO,
    ~Wes~(*thinks to himself* "Dagummit none of that had to do with evo.... I need to work on that LOL")
    ~Wes~

    My plants are going green to save the environment

    My Growlist

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •