User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 70 of 147 FirstFirst ... 206066676869707172737480120 ... LastLast

Thread: Where does everyone stand in regards to...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]That's cuz our heads deflate when we die. Like a balloon.
    and dogs' don't?
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, they bloat! LOL!!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah... http://www.snopes.com/religion/soulweight.asp
    apparently the person who did that was not very scientific, and:
    Quote[/b] ]Fellow Massachusetts doctor Augustus P. Clarke took MacDougall to task for having failed to take into account the sudden rise in body temperature at death when the blood stops being air-cooled via its circulation through the lungs. Clarke posited that the sweating and moisture evaporation caused by this rise in body temperature would account both for the drop in the men's weight and the dogs' failure to register one. (Dogs cool themselves by panting, not sweating.) MacDougall rebutted that without circulation, no blood can be brought to the surface of the skin and thus no surface cooling occurs.
    sometimes it's half an ounce, sometimes it's 3/4ths, sometimes it's 3/8ths
    so I guess some people's soul is heavier than others' :P
    Quote[/b] ]The weight of the soul he has determined to be from one-half ounce to nearly an ounce and a quarter.4
    now how the heck did he get that?
    Quote[/b] ]What to make of all this? MacDougall's results were flawed because the methodology used to harvest them was suspect, the sample size far too small, and the ability to measure changes in weight imprecise. For this reason, credence should not be given to the idea his experiments proved something, let alone that they measured the weight of the soul as 21 grams. His postulations on this topic are a curiousity, but nothing more.
    so SCIENTIFICALLY nothing was proven.

speaking of proving religious claims, I've seen more "proof" for other religions than for christianity.
    My uncle and brother once got their "aura"'s picture taken. I don't know how the heck they do that, but you can see green/red/etc surounding a person. Sometimes you even see balls of light hovering on top of people's heads, etc.
    there's also a guy who claims he reincarnated... he has one picture of the "previous" body he had, one of the body he took over BEFORE he took over (looked nothing like the "previous" body) and you can "see" that even though the first picture is not him, his "new" body changed to look more like the first body (did I just confuse the heck out of you? I know I'M confused! lol)
    and that same guy... there's been pictures taken of him where he's meditating and he has white balls of light hovering around him and sort of light currents coming out of his assistant's hands.
    How do I explain that? I don't have a clue but obviously I don't believe him because I don't have a religion.

anyway my point is that not only christianity has "proof".
    (I've also seen pictures of honeycombs and fish scales with "alah" written on them, mosques that survived earthquakes, etc)
    (now why the heck did I just say all that? I forgot... GASP! I need to do homework!)
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Creationsits and people weighing souls combine all the worst aspects of religion and science. And each has plenty of bad attributes. God isn't a magician flashing a magic wand one day and here's light or a few days later and there's Sarracenia purpurea subsp. purpurea f. heterophylla. And why the @#$% does a soul have to have a weight?!? That makes a mockery of Christianity.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ Jan. 05 2005,2:33)] And why the @#$% does a soul have to have a weight?!? That makes a mockery of Christianity.
    I agree..that is very lame..
    but, I think the Christians who are weighing souls are doing it because they believe that it PROVES that we have souls!
    although why a Christian would feel the need to "prove" that is beyond me..you would think that wouldnt require any proof.

I guess its just another way to try to justify the Bible as a scientific textbook..they have no idea it makes people take them even LESS seriously! Christians and nonChristians alike..
    the vast majority of Christians probably think its a stupid pointless experiement..(I do, speaking as a Christian.)
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_l_32.gif[/img]

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the fundamental problem with trying to compare science and religion....apples and oranges, my friends!

You cannot use religion to answer scientific questions, nor can you use science to answer spiritual ones. It's like driving a nail in with a pair of needle-nose pliers. Wrong tool for the job, and the nail certainly won't go in straight.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the other hand both science and "religion" can ellucidate one another. Christians never need live in fear of archaelogical discoveries nor technological advancements nor anything biologically related nor questioning. They have a tendency to clarify and prove the Bible to be true.

God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dagum.... I need to polish my research... But then again I never really thought you could determine if someone had a sould by waying them. It's like trying to prove that the air is there, you can't see it but you can feel it. The soul(well some of), you can't see but you can feel it(aka conscience and those other things...)
    ~Wes~

My plants are going green to save the environment

My Growlist