User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 76 of 147 FirstFirst ... 266672737475767778798086126 ... LastLast

Thread: Where does everyone stand in regards to...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Peter,
    As you probably already know I am a christian for about 27 years now. Yes the geologic column does indeed contain billions of fossils, but the sediments, folding, faulting, metamorphoses of rock, igneous intrusions etc is not evidence for a single event. I have studied geology at college level and have done field work. What was evident was differing environments displayed by the type of rock, fossils indicating what life was about in those times and of course we had ,extinction events'. On comes to mind near Gloucester, England was the rhaetic bone beds. I was there with my fellow college students and on one layer only was a mass of fossils then covered up by more sediment containing hardly any fossils above it. Here is one paper I found just by doing a google search while typing this:
    http://www.jncc.gov.uk/earthheritage...k.asp?block=91

But a lot of recent creationist thinking is derived from having to believe in a literal translation of Genesis 1. While it is still very important to believe in a creator God which he is, can it be that recent creationists are trying to make geolocical science false?
    Best Regards

Mike King

NCCPG National collection holder of Sarracenia

http://www.carnivorousplants.uk.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Mike King @ Jan. 07 2005,10:33)]Hi Peter,
    As you probably already know I am a christian for about 27 years now. Yes the geologic column does indeed contain billions of fossils, but the sediments, folding, faulting, metamorphoses of rock, igneous intrusions etc is not evidence for a single event. I have studied geology at college level and have done field work.

But a lot of recent creationist thinking is derived from having to believe in a literal translation of Genesis 1. While it is still very important to believe in a creator God which he is, can it be that recent creationists are trying to make geolocical science false?
    Forgive me. I can not go back and read all the pages I have missed. Some of us are very busy, so here I am. Alpha don't you dare do that "doesn't anyone read the last 60 pages" or I will smack your nose with a newspaper!

Hello Mike,

I to studied Archeology and some Geology in college. I to am a Christian. Prior to my college study I believed that science had a good hold of time-line dating, but after study I found that is not true. There are too many natural, and now, man-made, effects. Those you state are true. (standing in Grand Canyon and trying to match shifts is mind boggling and fun) Carbon dating is a very in inaccurate means of dating, but it covers a large period of time and is therefore used. It is also effected by the movement of the soils and plates as well as eruptions, fires and other natural occurrences.

I still love Archeology and continue in self study. People and civilizations are so interesting. It is surprising how much we have not changed.

I also agree with your statement about the literal taking of Genisis. I again will state that we do not know how God acheived this miraculous feat of creation and I do not believe that Gensis is a literal history. I do not disbelieve entirely in evolution. It is there. As a matter of fact I must agree that things evolve. It did not only happen in the past, but continues to happen now. Evolution as a whole is also not proven, but an educated guess (that is scientific theory). I think that there is a mis-understanding that a Christian can not believe in evolution. We just don't believe it as a whole (well some of us). We disbelieve what takes faith in the theory to believe as they disbelieve what takes faith in God to believe.

Part of what seems to be the fight is the time-line, seven days. But one should remember to God, "One day is a thousand years and a thousand years is one day". He can not be held to a literal time line.

Again (to some of you), I will not fight this. Neither is fully proven, that is that there is God or that there is not God. I have faith that there is, others have faith that there is not. Not to different.
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is encouraging..
    we seem to have many Christians here who dont need to be confined by a literal intrepretation of genesis..thats great!

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]But a lot of recent creationist thinking is derived from having to believe in a literal translation of Genesis 1. While it is still very important to believe in a creator God which he is, can it be that recent creationists are trying to make geolocical science false?
    no worries there..they can try all they like, but they just get laughed at in the process..they cant MAKE something false just because they want it to be false..
    truth is truth..no matter what a very small minority may think..
    Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike, I won't argue with you on the credibility of geologic columns. But I still stand with recent creationism for several reasons. The Bible contains lineages all the way from Adam and Eve to Noah to Abraham to Jesus. While Genesis might be somewhat poetic, I don't think those lineages were made up, or that Adam and Eve were made up.

Also, I'm sure things were different back then, but what we have now did not just evolve. For example:

Gen 6:4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare [children] to them, the same [became] mighty men which [were] of old, men of renown.

And we have found fossils (or bones) of giants. Also, back then, people used to live a few centuries. I'm not sure how God changed our lifespans - probably through "microevolution". But that happened within a relatively small number of generations, not through millions of years, and it hasn't happened since.

Peter
    the cellist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm curious. Has anyone changed their mind on the basis of what they've read in these 60+ pages?
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doubtful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably not, but at least we understand the other side better!
    the cellist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bugweed might me a possible exeption
    that makes no logic