What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where does everyone stand in regards to...

Status
Not open for further replies.
However, in nature the deformed organism isn't likely going to survive and reproduce, and even if it did the deformity is likely to be developmental, not genetic. Even if you did raise it to adulthood in a controlled environment and the defects were genetic, vestigalism does not happen in the next generation. The time required would far outlast our lifespan, so we would never see the results. And yes, I know vestigalism is not a real word.

so now we're playing devil's advocate?
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Jan. 02 2005,6:59)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]even scientists have trouble with classifying species
well... that's mostly with plants that are very... frustrating... because different genera and I think even some families can hybridize. Every scientist I know agrees that if two populations cannot interbreed and have fertile offspring, they cannot possibly be the same species.
The hardest part for people to accept of course(even scientists have trouble with classifying species-so I don't consider that much evidence of evolution, it would be smart to make creation slightly elastic to adapt to change that is certain to occur) would be the first cell Fish-amphibian amphibian-reptile reptile-bird reptile-mammal and of course "ape"-human being.
what do you mean by that? You mean like in fossils?
Not always. In the case of many killifish killifish keepers are wary of getting populations mixed up as sometimes the results will be sterile(often results in sterile males) or otherwise end up with problems. But they are classed under the same species.

Nope-not just fossils...just the idea/blotchy evidence.

Much easier just to act like an insect instead of procrastinating what we will become next
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I had never even heard of killfish :p
aldough that is interesting... but to me it just proves evolution. The killfish are like transitional organisms. I believe (don't take my word for it because I heard it from someone else... aldough I do trust him) There are also some gulls somewhere in some island that the populations next to each other can mate and have fertile offspring but populations far away can't...
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Nope-not just fossils...just the idea/blotchy evidence.
can you explain that? I'm not sure what you mean.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Much easier just to act like an insect instead of procrastinating what we will become next
Procrastinating?

Blotchy evidence-as in large gaps in the fossil record(now explained by some kind of punctuated equilibrium in which case some species should have evolved into something totally new and different within the time of human history). Only reptile-bird seems to have an inbetween and IMHO after reading about it I think it is a bird-and not a bird-dinosaur...some birds had teeth later on too.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Blotchy evidence-as in large gaps in the fossil record(now explained by some kind of punctuated equilibrium in which case some species should have evolved into something totally new and different within the time of human history).
oh that. Well that's to be expected. The conditions for fossilization are so rare that trying to find specific fossils probably won't give you much results.
I really don't know much about individual fossils but I'm searching..
anyone want to read this and tell us if that's good enough?
LOL... you sure cured my hyperness :p
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-transitional.html

Fine Alpha! Just keep giving me this info. I have work to do and things to look into for a long time. Now, go back to your vestigal rambling!!!! LOLOL!!!!

I know it was discussed before but how do creationists explain the story of the flood and noah's ark?

LOL. Hey, I've had to read a lot of this stuff too!
Many of the anti-evolution arguments are simple and sound good at first but It takes a while to debunk :p

Everybody take a break!  Some of us were busy today and are trying to catch up.

Anyway it's no longer a debate between evolution and creation.  It seems to have become a battle between evolution and some form of phylogenetic agnosticism.  In case no one has ever used that phrase before, I hereby patent it and will make my fortune in licensing fees.  Phylogenesis, by the way, is the origin of a species.  Anyway, there's no point trying to prove something to an agnostic.

Evolution cannot be proved.  Even if we observe the origin of a new species tomorrow and film it and dissect it and gene sequence it and do everything it might take to convince everybody speciation happened, it doesn't prove humans evolved from something else.  I'm a geologist and am comfortable with inference being science, but some people can't accept something if they didn't see it happen or can't duplicate it in a lab.  That kind of proof is possible in some sciences, but impossible in others.

To all sides in the debate - never try to teach a pig to sing, it only wastes your time and annoys the pig.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] It seems to have become a battle between evolution and some form of phylogenetic agnosticism
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Anyway, there's no point trying to prove something to an agnostic.
HEY! I'm an agnostic!!!

Apparently someone did somethin right... I laughed more in the last two pages than I have in the other 40-some pages. You guys are entertaining. AW, stop with the links and keep rambling! I can't keep up!!!!!!!!!!! I've always heard the appendix in humans was virtually useless. I guess someone finally figured somethin out. Anyway, as hyper as I am, I gotta go to bed. Dagumit, school starts tomorrow for me. Oh and by the way, AE, I'm soooooo glad you actually have a picture for your ava/sig and it's a good one at that. LOL

Keeping it real,
~Wes~

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I've always heard the appendix in humans was virtually useless
It is VIRTUALLY useless but it does make some leukocytes (or something to do with the immune system...) which practically makes no difference. After all, people get their appendixes taken out all the time.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Anyway, as hyper as I am, I gotta go to bed. Dagumit, school starts tomorrow for me.
MWUAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! it starts tuestay for me!!!
DARN
smile_h_32.gif
smile_h_32.gif
smile_h_32.gif
(there should be a crying smiley... :'(

There should be a "suicide" smiley.. AND i have a review due for the museum tomorrow... that i haven't even started!!!

::jumps out of window::

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]::jumps out of window::
about time!
ROFLMAO!
If you all want simple answers, ask simple questions with simple answers :p
one of my mottos is: Life is always more complex than that

As far as I know people think that the fully formed appendix (it used to be a lot longer and more developed) aided in the digestion of wood and plant stems.

*does a google search*

Hey, first on the list is our favorite site: http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/vestiges/appendix.html

I didn't have time to read half of it but it looks like I remembered right.

OMFG, I went to bed at 10pm last night my time, and 4 new pages developed overnight!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Hey, could ya slow down a bit!? Every time I turn around...

Was it Luis who said he wanted proof of God's existence first? I WAS where you were at! I can't give ya proof. Nobody can. Any evidence that can be provided - can also be rationalized away. I know... I DID that. Ultimately, it tool a "want to" attitude, a small step of / choice to have faith, that led me to ask Jesus into my heart as Lord and Savior. You will never get satisfiable proof. It's always a choice off the will.

There was a fellow by the name of Jodh McDowell who specifically went out of his way to disprove the Bible and in the process of reading it, looking for contradictions, he came to the realization that the Bible was / is the truth. And then he put his faith in Jesus. He also wrote a couple books: "Evidence That Demands A Verdict" and "More Evidence That Demands A Verdict". Neither can be proofs, but both point out a lot of overwhelming evidence, when taken as a whole, takes more faith to disbelieve than TO believe. He wrote about fulfilled prophecies, literary criticisms, and archaelogy. I don't know if he coined the phrase or echoed it: "Jesus is either a liar, lunatic, or Lord".

I would challenge you all to read the Bible, from cover to cover, and ask the very God that you don't believe or are not sure about, to show you the truth. Then make your decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back