What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where does everyone stand in regards to...

Status
Not open for further replies.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Legend has it genesis wasn't written or sent from above. It was later added as an explanation for creation by the church. Why can all the other books in the bible be traced and not Genesis?

any answers?

Good point.

ALSO: extreme Creationists believe the universe is only 6000 years old. But they also know full well that the galaxy Andromeda, the farthest object the unaided eye can see, is 2 million light years away. That means it takes a wave of light radiating from Andromeda 2 million years to visibly reach us. If the universe is only 6000 years old, we wouldn't be able to see light from Andromeda yet. Beat that.

*slams head on keyboard*

*edits*

If they can actually believe the universe is 6000 years old, believing that the light was put there already en route is just icing.

How is the light from a universe relevant to evolution? Maybe we should start a big bang theory thread

It's relevant against creationism, which is relevant to evolution.

If God paid enough attention to detail to create vestigial structures in created organisms, surely God can put the right amounts and kinds of radiation where necessary to make the universe seem so old. Why God would do all these things is a question for another kind of forum.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (FlytrapGurl @ Jan. 20 2005,5:48)]Good point.

ALSO: extreme Creationists believe the universe is only 6000 years old. But they also know full well that the galaxy Andromeda, the farthest object the unaided eye can see, is 2 million light years away. That means it takes a wave of light radiating from Andromeda 2 million years to visibly reach us. If the universe is only 6000 years old, we wouldn't be able to see light from Andromeda yet. Beat that.
Good point FTG.
Little things like that that require no scientific knowledge whatsoever, just knowing something is far away and it would take a while to get here, things like that should click quickly. I don't understand how anyone could NOT. I'm asking you to forget science and forget a book and just think logically.

If religion didn't have such a "strong" and long background and someone just presented it to you, i bet every single human on earth would think it's crazy, because you would start to think logically and not be presumptuous about it. We grow up in a world where religion is common, so it's seen as normal.

To me believing something you can't see made everything against all the proof your other human cohorts are showing you (that you can see for yourself if you just open your eyes!!!) is not normal.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ Jan. 20 2005,9:19)]If God paid enough attention to detail to create vestigial structures in created organisms, surely God can put the right amounts and kinds of radiation where necessary to make the universe seem so old. Why God would do all these things is a question for another kind of forum.
Of course. "If god" "If god".

Has anyone else (evolutionist) noticed when they speak to someone about religion against something in the bible, they answer in comparison "If god" "If god" "he did this" "he can surely do that".

I mean come on....

What "if god" isn't real?

If God was obsessive enough to leave bones lying about implying evolution from eohippus to Secretariat, surely he could have made sure semi-literate scribes got everything right in the bible.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]We grow up in a world where religion is common, so it's seen as normal. ...
You make religion sound like a desease.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]... i bet every single human on earth would think it's crazy ...

You... You're joking me... right?  RIGHT?!  Ok, you say religion is hooey, well, then let's see, why does religion exist??  All questions of accuracy aside.  Religion historically  has been used as a means to explain phenomena that aren't understood.  So, really you're ignoring history yourself now.  The fact that religions explain things is one aspect that makes them so popular in foundation.  Even if you didn't wanna look at it historically because you wanted to blame it on "oh this particular religion was popular at this location at the time so people didn't have much choice..." there are a few more things to consider.  For instance, let's look at today!  America is boasted to be the country of the free, no one is forcing anyone to be anything- yet many people are still drawn to religion.  Not just one religion, many.  Even if there are kids that are forced to participate in a religion, they can -and I've head many-a tal of those who do- either later refuse or change their faith.  The point is: religion appeals to human logic, so I very heavily doubt that "every single human on Earth" would turn it down.  Maybe if you were going around telling people "And then there was Noah and his ark and a big flood -which obviously couldn't have happened- and before that there was Genesis -life before light, what?-..."  Well, then maybe a few people would be as close minded as you.  I'm trying to keep nice and everything, but I've seen a bit too much thrashing of religion on this thread for a while and it seems as there is no one extremely knowlegable in Creationism that some are getting more and more tight knit and closed-minded.

All I'm asking is for a little more mutual understanding, and I swear, if I see anymore trolling, I'm gonna drop Moby **** and come back here -well, I'm really just looking for an excuse not to do my work... but that's not the point!-  
smile_n_32.gif
 But seriously, it wouldn't hurt a few of us here to open our minds a little.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What "if god" isn't real?

And I ask you: What if God is real?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Est @ Jan. 20 2005,10:13)]You... You're joking me... right? RIGHT?!
No. Of course you'd say that. You're thinking with religion in the back burner. You need to discard the thought that it exists. You are backing it up with the fact that its existed. Just because something has been prevalent throutout history doesn't mean that it should be considered real in any sense of the word.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Est @ Jan. 20 2005,10:13)]why does religion exist?? All questions of accuracy aside. Religion historically has been used as a means to explain phenomena that aren't understood.
Uneducated man always tried to find answers to the unexplained. Of course, being uneducated, and not being able to see an answer to the things around us they though "Well it's not here, maybe we just can't see it".

I thought I would try to answer some of the questions posed lately.

AE: “Legend has it genesis wasn't written or sent from above. It was later added as an explanation for creation by the church. Why can all the other books in the bible be traced and not Genesis?”

Most religious scholars believe the book of Genesis, and the other four books of the Pentateuch, was written by many authors who referred to three traditions.

Alpha Wolf: “isn't proof a rational and simple thing to ask from a god that CREATED me so I NEED proof?”

I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if someday you find the proof you seek. As for my proof, I grew up in the Church. I saw and heard it every Sunday at Church. As I grew older, I realized I saw God everywhere I turned, from the wonderful Earth He, to the people I speak with.

I understand why you and others may not believe in God; you all make very compelling arguments. I don’t know if there is anything I, or anyone else, could say or do to change your minds; and I understand that. I don’t plan on it. I just thought I would try to answer some of the questions that have been put forth.

AE: “To me believing something you can't see made everything against all the proof your other human cohorts are showing you (that you can see for yourself if you just open your eyes!!!) is not normal.”

Could you clarify this statement for me please? Thanks!
smile.gif

AE: “What "if god" isn't real?”

If God is not real, then I guess there is no heaven to go on to. I try not to think in terms of “if God”, so I don’t know if you are referring to me or not.

AE: “Uneducated man always tried to find answers to the unexplained. Of course, being uneducated, and not being able to see an answer to the things around us they though "Well it's not here, maybe we just can't see it".”

Are you aware of the countless educated people who do believe in God? As for the “uneducated,” are you implying uneducated people created religions, or that the uneducated people in this world don’t have good ideas? Could you please clarify this statement? Also, please add some qualification to your statements. I’m trying to understand your points better. Thanks!
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Est @ Jan. 21 2005,4:13)] But seriously, it wouldn't hurt a few of us here to open our minds a little.
thank you est, this is what i have been trying to tell some of these people all along.

No, my mind is open. Very open.

It's open to things that can be proven with fact. That i can see or touch or test or something, so i can see are real. That's what im open to.

The only thing not fitting that category is religion.

My mind is open to the logical.

Maybe you guys need to escape religion and open your minds to logical, proven, factual science.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back