What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where does everyone stand in regards to...

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • #1,121
[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes gracilis @ Jan. 23 2005,12:13)]Does anyone realize this is a neverending battle?
We are more sharing ideas now then battleing.

• #1,122
Some people use race to categorize humans evolutionary-wise and to see who the most advanced humans are. Do you think that race is a good way to categorize humans evolutionary wise?

I think variation withing humans depending on where they are on the earth backs up evolution. Europeans have lighter skin tones with lighter, thinner hair, because it snows and there are lower levels of sunlight. In africa there are people with darker skin and darker thicker hair, because of the high heat and sun levels.

• #1,123
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]First off, natural selection is environmental, not disease. There's always been disease and you can't consider that evolution because there always will be.
oh so if it can't be stopped it's not evolution??? disease IS natural selection. It's organisms causing other organisms to die (if it's not genetic... and there are plenty of genetic diseases like cystic fibrosis and others that greately reduce your chances of having offspring). now you are re-difining evolution!
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Let's not consider diseases natural selection since the genes are just killing the random people that have it
oh sure... let's not consider what drives evolution as natural selection... well then of course there's no evolution because you're ignoring what does cause things to evolve.
and the people that have it aren't random. They inherit the things (genetic diseases or the likely that they'll have certain cancers or stuff)
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Diseases are more "random" than organized, not just killing the weaker but the sometimes stronger.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Think of diseases as a wild card. The unlucky one draws it and has the disease or dies on the spot if its a rare one.
they're not wild cards. It's been proven that you're likely to get many diseases because of family history (which means it's genetic)
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Genetic Disorders.
exactly... and what is evolution? changing genes.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I think that there can be subtle changes to humans over time depending on things like disease and natural disasters maybe. Girls still do hold some power in evolution when it comes to sexual selection, but anyone can procreate if they want to. Over time we might see small changes of our current states. Maybe a difference in our sizes or small changes to other structures, but nothing dramatic, and there's no more natural selection since we aren't in nature anymore
we are in nature. Just because we destroy nature doesn't mean we're not in it. Things can still affect us. We're not a closed system.
and subtle changes are evolution!
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Some people use race to categorize humans evolutionary-wise and to see who the most advanced humans are. Do you think that race is a good way to categorize humans evolutionary wise?
no... that just means that you need more/less melanin depending on latitude.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Europeans have lighter skin tones with lighter, thinner hair, because it snows
thinner hair? how is having thinner hair good because it snows?

• #1,124
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Jan. 23 2005,2:23)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]First off, natural selection is environmental, not disease. There's always been disease and you can't consider that evolution because there always will be.
oh so if it can't be stopped it's not evolution??? disease IS natural selection. It's organisms causing other organisms to die (if it's not genetic... and there are plenty of genetic diseases like cystic fibrosis and others that greately reduce your chances of having offspring). now you are re-difining evolution!
Read carefully i said genetic diseases. If you are talking about sickness, viruses and bacteria thats another thing. My post was talking about genetic disorders.

• #1,125
and like I said, genetic disorders are natural selection too. And also like I said, diseases caused by pathogens can be more likely if you have certain genes so there's also a genetic part of diseases like that.
so anyway my point was that there's still natural selection.

• #1,126
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Jan. 23 2005,2:23)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Let's not consider diseases natural selection since the genes are just killing the random people that have it
oh sure... let's not consider what drives evolution as natural selection... well then of course there's no evolution because you're ignoring what does cause things to evolve.
and the people that have it aren't random. They inherit the things (genetic diseases or the likely that they'll have certain cancers or stuff)
Genetic Diseases drive evolution? Who's redefining? Stay on topic with your argument and don't twist my words. I am talking specifically about genetic diseases. Of course genes play a big part of natural selection (who said it doesn't).

I'm talking about genetic disorders, and you are talking about inheritance?

• #1,127
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Jan. 23 2005,2:47)]and like I said, genetic disorders are natural selection too. And also like I said, diseases caused by pathogens can be more likely if you have certain genes so there's also a genetic part of diseases like that.
so anyway my point was that there's still natural selection.
Get one thing straight, Bacterial and Viral infections are not the same as genetic disorders. Bacterial and Viral infections (of course) are evolution, genetic disorders don't test survival fitness because anyone can have a genetic disorder and function perfectly in nature, then be killed by something that's genetic.

Nothing you do can save you from a genetic disorder because you have it from birth, it's a genetic wildcard.

• #1,128
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Genetic Diseases drive evolution? Who's redefining?
genetic diseases can drive evolution.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] I am talking specifically about genetic diseases
I am too.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Of course genes play a big part of natural selection (who said it doesn't).
You don't want to count genetic diseases (caused by genes) as natural selection.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm talking about genetic disorders, and you are talking about inheritance?
well duh. Genetic disorders are inherited.

• #1,129
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Amateur_Expert @ Jan. 23 2005,8:43)]If you are talking about sickness, viruses and bacteria thats another thing. My post was talking about genetic disorders.
what are you saying about them? are you implying they are not a form of natural selection because there is alot of evidence that they are. tay-sachs and TB is a good example of a disease that has a genetic adaptation to it also malaria and sickle cell, both non-genetic diseases that have a genetic adaptation that gives the carrier an adavantage.

• #1,130
You can't choose or fight off genetic disorders, that why they are wild cards. You can however, fight off bacterial and viral infection. The best in doing so, then survives.

• #1,131
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Get one thing straight, Bacterial and Viral infections are not the same as genetic disorders
who said they were?
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] don't test survival fitness because anyone can have a genetic disorder and function perfectly in nature, then be killed by something that's genetic.
no they can't. That's why they're GENETIC DISORDERS. Because you CAN'T function perfectly in nature.

• #1,132
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You can't choose or fight off genetic disorders, that why they are wild cards. You can however, fight off bacterial and viral infection. The best in doing so, then survives.
you don't choose to evolve. Of course you can't choose or fight off genetic disorders, that's why you die and don't have offspring.

• #1,133
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ktulu @ Jan. 23 2005,2:51)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Amateur_Expert @ Jan. 23 2005,8:43)]If you are talking about sickness, viruses and bacteria thats another thing. My post was talking about genetic disorders.
what are you saying about them? are you implying they are not a form of natural selection because there is alot of evidence that they are. tay-sachs and TB is a good example of a disease that has a genetic adaptation to it also malaria and sickle cell, both non-genetic diseases that have a genetic adaptation that gives the carrier an adavantage.
True but it also hinders them.

Genetic diseases may play some part in evolution but they are almost always (if they don't affect the ability to reproduce), passed on to the next generation.

• #1,134
Diseases aren't a big player in natural selection even if they you do consider them to be natural selection. The genes are always throw back into the genepool.

Diseases don't test survival, they are either accepted or not. You either die or not, but they are always in the genepool. There is no way to get rid of them or progress past them.

• #1,135
key words: NOT ALWAYS, AREN'T A BIG PART.
that means they are sometimes and they are a part. I never said we're evolving fast now did I? I said we're evolving SLOWLY.

• #1,136
just because you don't evlolve fast doesn't mean you're not evolving.
and ktulu, it doesn't matter how fast things happen. It doesn't matter if it's fast or slow (punctuated equilibrium... remember?) they're still evolving.

• #1,137
see... I figured out what I wanted to say yesterday.
Ktulu.... You're trying to re-difine evolution in order to find flaws in it.
It doesn't matter in what environment (lab) you evolve. It doesn't matter if you're in the sun, the oort cloud, or anywhere in between. You're still evolving. It doesn't matter if you came from pluto and adapted to france (and if the new species can't survive in pluto anymore), it's still speciation because they're different species.
and it doesn't matter if it takes 80 trillion years for a species to get a mm bigger or if it takes them overnight to grow wings and fly to the moon (LOL...), it's still evolution.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]and the type of monogomy is important because it has differnt impacts on the population
how do you know it has different impacts on the population?

• #1,138
We are talking about how humans have stopped evolving because they are not affected by natural selection anymore. You are saying that diseases are part of natural selection, but because nature doesn't affect us anymore it doesn't matter if we have genetic disorders or not.

Natural selection by definition is the controlling of the frequency of alleles by the environment. The FREQUENCY is CONTROLLED by the ENVIRONMENT.

Keep that in mind.

Humans don't live in a natural environment anymore, you live in a house. You aren't affected by the environment anymore, which is what natural selection is. Natural selection is your environment controlling the frequency of your alleles.

The ENVIRONMENT. Get that straight. The ENVIRONMENT is the driving force in natural selection. The Environment including things in the environment like bacteria and fungi. Bacteria and Fungi are natural selection. They are in the environment, the do affect you. Diseases cause by the environment are natural selection.

Again natural selection is the environment.

ENVIRONMENT.

Now when we get to the topic of genetic disorders. Remember the environment is controlling the frequency of alleles.

Humans are not in their natural environment anymore they are in a house. This in itself takes out natural selelction because you take out the environment.

Without the environment selecting your genes you have no natural selection. If you have a genetic disorder, you dying has nothing to do with natural selection. NATURE isn't SELECTING your genes. You are just plainly dying without environmental interferance. There is nothing about the environment that has to do with it, and there is not way that it's testing your fitness to survive because no matter how fit you are to survive (even if you were in the environment) you would die.

Genetic Disorders cannot be considered natural selection in humans anymore since we aren't in nature anymore.

*If anyone is going to respond to this i want them to first establish that we are still affected by the environment before they talk about genetic disorders. Without the environment there is no natural selection because that's what natural selection is, i'll reiterate, the environment controlling frequency of alleles.

• #1,139
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]We are talking about how humans have stopped evolving because they are not affected by natural selection anymore. You are saying that diseases are part of natural selection, but because nature doesn't affect us anymore it doesn't matter if we have genetic disorders or not.
we ARE ffected by natural selection, and we ARE affected by nature because genetic disorders are nature.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Natural selection by definition is the controlling of the frequency of alleles by the environment. The FREQUENCY is CONTROLLED by the ENVIRONMENT.
ok, and the frequency of diseases is controlled by the environment. If you're talking about pathogens, they're part of the environment. If you're talking about genetic disorders, those genetic disorders can't survive in this environment so their frequency is determined by the environment.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The ENVIRONMENT. Get that straight. The ENVIRONMENT is the driving force in natural selection. The Environment including things in the environment like bacteria and fungi. Bacteria and Fungi are natural selection. They are in the environment, the do affect you. Diseases cause by the environment are natural selection.
well there you go! you're making my point for me!
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Again natural selection is the environment.

ENVIRONMENT.
and our house is an environment. it has bacteria and air and you HAVE to be able to do certain things in order to survive. If you can't breathe because your lungs get clogged up, then you're more likely to die before having offspring. it doesn't matter if it's a jungle or pluto or a house, it's still an environment and if there are things outside of your control they are nature.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Humans are not in their natural environment anymore they are in a house. This in itself takes out natural selelction because you take out the environment.
you don't take out the environment.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If you have a genetic disorder, you dying has nothing to do with natural selection. NATURE isn't SELECTING your genes
it does. If you were in an environment that allowed for those genetic disorders to survive (ie. malaria infested place and sicke cell anemia) they wouldn't be genetic disorders. we still live in an environment, and as long as there are incurable diseases out there that don't allow you to have the same number of offspring survive as would someone else, you will have natural selection.

• #1,140
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Jan. 23 2005,3:37)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]We are talking about how humans have stopped evolving because they are not affected by natural selection anymore. You are saying that diseases are part of natural selection, but because nature doesn't affect us anymore it doesn't matter if we have genetic disorders or not.
we ARE ffected by natural selection, and we ARE affected by nature because genetic disorders are nature.
Genetic disorders don't come from the environment. We aren't in a natural environment anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back