What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where does everyone stand in regards to...

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • #1,141
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Jan. 23 2005,3:37)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Natural selection by definition is the controlling of the frequency of alleles by the environment. The FREQUENCY is CONTROLLED by the ENVIRONMENT.
ok, and the frequency of diseases is controlled by the environment. If you're talking about pathogens, they're part of the environment. If you're talking about genetic disorders, those genetic disorders can't survive in this environment so their frequency is determined by the environment.
There is no environment for them to be tested by, we aren't in a natural environment anymore.

• #1,142
[b said:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Again natural selection is the environment.

ENVIRONMENT.
and our house is an environment. it has bacteria and air and you HAVE to be able to do certain things in order to survive. If you can't breathe because your lungs get clogged up, then you're more likely to die before having offspring. it doesn't matter if it's a jungle or pluto or a house, it's still an environment and if there are things outside of your control they are nature.
I said bacteria and fungi are natural and environmental and they DO affect us. What? are you arguing for me? lol

• #1,143
[b said:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Humans are not in their natural environment anymore they are in a house. This in itself takes out natural selelction because you take out the environment.
you don't take out the environment.
Don't be so literal, and i feel like a babysitter having to clarify things for you. I mean that you aren't in it anymore.

• #1,144
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Genetic disorders don't come from the environment. We aren't in a natural environment anymore.
it doesn't matter what kind of selection it is. Evolution doesn't only happen because of "natural" selection. the environment is choosing if the genes you have are good or bad. If your lungs clog up because of mucus buildup in your lungs and you die, that's only in this environment. If say in another environment the air was "bad", you'd be able to survive because in that environment the air reduces the mucus but not all the way to kill you (kind of like your stomach... the mucus is there as a protection, not as a burden)

• #1,145
[b said:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If you have a genetic disorder, you dying has nothing to do with natural selection. NATURE isn't SELECTING your genes
it does. If you were in an environment that allowed for those genetic disorders to survive (ie. malaria infested place and sicke cell anemia) they wouldn't be genetic disorders. we still live in an environment, and as long as there are incurable diseases out there that don't allow you to have the same number of offspring survive as would someone else, you will have natural selection.
We are in an (ok i'll bite) "environment" that allows these things to survive. They get passed on from generation to generation.
We have hospitals also which make genetic disorders livable (another point). You can live with them and manage to procreate.

Us being able to live with them and treat them, prevents them from being an evolutionary factor.

• #1,146
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!! STOP POSTING ONE SENTENCE POSTS!!!

• #1,147
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Jan. 23 2005,3:44)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Genetic disorders don't come from the environment. We aren't in a natural environment anymore.
it doesn't matter what kind of selection it is. Evolution doesn't only happen because of "natural" selection. the environment is choosing if the genes you have are good or bad. If your lungs clog up because of mucus buildup in your lungs and you die, that's only in this environment. If say in another environment the air was "bad", you'd be able to survive because in that environment the air reduces the mucus but not all the way to kill you (kind of like your stomach... the mucus is there as a protection, not as a burden)
Air is about the only thing that affects us because its something we all need that comes from the environment. Nothing else.

Anything genetic can be treated with modern medicine also. Not everyone with a disorder is going to die, unlike in nature.

Genetic disorders are not something that drive evolution and it's not enough to shape human evolution.

• #1,148
If you accept evolution as happening you cannot say it is not happening to Humans.

• #1,149
[b said:
genes don't come from the environment. Nobody said they did. However the environment does choose which genes are good and which are bad. we are in AN environment and that is the only thing that matters. there is still selection of genes and there is therefore evolution.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There is no environment for them to be tested by
your house is an environment. The city is an environment. where you live is your environment. it doesn't have to be in the deep jungles of brazil to be an environment.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I said bacteria and fungi are natural and environmental and they DO affect us. What? are you arguing for me? lol
and bacteria and fungi and everything cause us to die (SELECTING OUR GENES) so if they're natural and environmental then they're (NATURAL SELECTION)

• #1,150
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Jan. 23 2005,3:51)]
[b said:
genes don't come from the environment. Nobody said they did. However the environment does choose which genes are good and which are bad. we are in AN environment and that is the only thing that matters. there is still selection of genes and there is therefore evolution.
Genetic disorders aren't chosen by the environment anymore since we aren't affected by an environment that has the ability to choose which one stays and goes. We aren't in a selective environment anymore. There accomodations we can deploy to combat any type of genetic disorder.

• #1,151
[b said:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There is no environment for them to be tested by
your house is an environment. The city is an environment. where you live is your environment. it doesn't have to be in the deep jungles of brazil to be an environment.
In this case you do because your house doesn't affect the fact that you have a genetic disorder. Being generic won't work in this argument.

• #1,152
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Air is about the only thing that affects us because its something we all need that comes from the environment. Nothing else.
air, sun, weather, natural disasters, the earth's magnetic field, volcanoes, plagues, diseases, HUMANS, etc.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Anything genetic can be treated with modern medicine also. Not everyone with a disorder is going to die, unlike in nature.
oh please. First of all not everything can be treated with modern medicine, secondly not everyone can afford it, thirdly not everyone is the united states and has modern medicine, fourthly if there is ANY selection at all... it doesn't matter how slowly... if the average humans that have genetic diseases reproduces less than the rest of the population, there IS selection.

• #1,153
[b said:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I said bacteria and fungi are natural and environmental and they DO affect us. What? are you arguing for me? lol
and bacteria and fungi and everything cause us to die (SELECTING OUR GENES) so if they're natural and environmental then they're (NATURAL SELECTION)
I said they were. They are an exception since they can leave the environment and live in ours. You're clarifying my point lol.

• #1,154
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]In this case you do because your house doesn't affect the fact that you have a genetic disorder
so people nowdays are born, live, mate, die in their houses and they never go away from them? don't be so narrow minded. Just because we spend a lot of the time in our house doesn't mean it's our only environment.

• #1,155
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Jan. 23 2005,3:55)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Air is about the only thing that affects us because its something we all need that comes from the environment. Nothing else.
air, sun, weather, natural disasters, the earth's magnetic field, volcanoes, plagues, diseases, HUMANS, etc.
We aren't affected by them thanks to our nifty houses.

• #1,156
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I said they were. They are an exception since they can leave the environment and live in ours. You're clarifying my point lol.
SO THERE IS NATURAL SELECTION! THAT IS MY POINT!!!

• #1,157
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]We aren't affected by them thanks to our nifty houses.
that's probably the stupidest thing I have heard in this thread.

• #1,158
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Jan. 23 2005,3:55)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Anything genetic can be treated with modern medicine also. Not everyone with a disorder is going to die, unlike in nature.
oh please. First of all not everything can be treated with modern medicine, secondly not everyone can afford it, thirdly not everyone is the united states and has modern medicine, fourthly if there is ANY selection at all... it doesn't matter how slowly... if the average humans that have genetic diseases reproduces less than the rest of the population, there IS selection.
I said everything genetic. Remember you need to stop being generic wolfboy. Genetic disorders can all be treated some sort of way.

• #1,159
ok I'm done... you're not even listening to me.

• #1,160
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Jan. 23 2005,3:58)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]We aren't affected by them thanks to our nifty houses.
that's probably the stupidest thing I have heard in this thread.
Stupid as you think it is it might be true. We are in a house that we controll our own environment according to our current situation. We make out environment accomodate us.

Tone down on the defensiveness. If you are confident about proving your point you shouldn't be so defensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back