What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where does everyone stand in regards to...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evolution has to be the most widely known explanation for the history of living beings on earth. I just wanted to know where everyone stood in regards to evolution on the forums.

(see's a twinkle in alphawolf's eyes)

Evolution could or could not have happened...
I'm sure, even being a Christian--there's nothin wrong w/ ppl coming from monkeys... but to think that everything came from that palm sized pocket of matter and energy (scientific view) is FUBAR...

Looking to throw some gas on an ever burning flame eh?
smile_n_32.gif

People always search for a meaning or reason "who, why, when". It's fun to question and ponder these magical things but when you get down to it, I do not believe there is anything happening in the universe but accidental order from chaos (evolution by proxy). Science attempts to organize and explain and can not answer everything, no scientist can tell you how something will evolve later, only how it may or may not have happened in the past. Religion supplies even fewer answers than science if you do not believe in the mythologies but it too has always been just another group of people attempting to organize and explain the universe in the way they know how.

What matters most is how you live and behave today, since tomorrow may never come.

well, ya'll know what I think.
but first of all, let's get what we are talking about straight.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]but to think that everything came from that palm sized pocket of matter and energy (scientific view) is FUBAR...
That has nothing to do with evolution.
No wonder people don't believe in evolution. They don't even know what it is/how it works!

im a firm believer in evolution. however i have no clue how everything got started. once it got started it all makes sence to me its just the stuff that happened first that gets me confused
confused.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (droseradude @ Dec. 27 2004,2:21)]but to think that everything came from that palm sized pocket of matter and energy (scientific view) is FUBAR...
That's actually the Big Bang theory my friend. Evolution has nothing to do with that. Evolution explains life not the formation of the universe earth or planets.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Dec. 27 2004,2:56)]im a firm believer in evolution. however i have no clue how everything got started. once it got started it all makes sence to me its just the stuff that happened first that gets me confused
confused.gif
stuff that happened first as in?

as in the Big Bang sorta stuff. i mostly understand the theories but what is true and what is not will probably never be truely known.

I'm also a firm believer in Evolution. I don't get the creationists' logic.

Firm evo here.

Yes, many people somehow lump creation and eveolution together. The reason, as I've heard, is that if you are a young earth creationist (YEC, the earth is 6000 years old, and you beleive in the litteral word of the Bible), everything was created as it is. Eveolution would contradict this particular view....so then people start arguing over how it started...

For some really good eve/creat debates, see www.crytozoology.com, and check out the forum. Good stuff there.

I don't think that anyone can possibly firmly belive the bible and the theory of evolution fully at the same time. Unless they are have multiple-personality schizophrenia.

Evolution of life is simply not a hypothesis or a guess or belief: it is a theory. This is what many people don't get: in science a theory explains a group of facts or phenomena, and has been repeatedly tested, is widely accepted and can be used to make predictions about natural phenomena. For all intents and purposes, it is a fact: evolution occurs. I don't understand why many religious people are against it: evolution has nothing to do with how life started, just how it adapts to change.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (StifflerMichael @ Dec. 27 2004,3:55)]Evolution of life is simply not a hypothesis or a guess or belief: it is a theory. This is what many people don't get: in science a theory explains a group of facts or phenomena, and has been repeatedly tested, is widely accepted and can be used to make predictions about natural phenomena. For all intents and purposes, it is a fact: evolution occurs. I don't understand why many religious people are against it: evolution has nothing to do with how life started, just how it adapts to change.
Well said.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Amateur_Expert @ Dec. 27 2004,2:42)]I don't think that anyone can possibly firmly belive the bible and the theory of evolution fully at the same time.
Thats strange, because I do. I'm what is called an old earth creationist. for a better understanding Look Here

And I'm not schitzo.......it's everyone else in my head that is
smile_n_32.gif

In a world where creatures can exchange genes and where mutations occur, where it's possible for some traits to be more conducive to survival than others, and where the environment is variable... I don't see how evolution wouldn't come into play. How could it be prevented under those circumstances?

We've also demonstrated the power of evolution ourselves in selective breeding of animals. The "intelligence" of the evolutionary process is minutely above zero, and it takes forever to get things done in a very inefficient patchwork manner. Add human brainpower and a goal, and things speed up exponentially. I'm sure you haven't seen a chihuahua skeleton in a museum. It took us under 100,000 years (probably more like 50,000) to create all of these dog breeds out of wolves/coyotes/foxes/whatever (there's debate over the origins). Granted it isn't really the creation of an entirely new species, but for under a million years it's not bad at all.

"A couple billion years" is very very easy to say... but our brains really aren't capable of grasping such a number. That's a long time. That's a long long long long time. A whole lot can happen in such a time.

Justin, ya beat me to it! I was following the topic along and was going to quote A.E. and say that me and "Zak" are two of the Born Again types that don't have a problem with what we humans perceive as evolution - as long as one accepts that God is the author of it all.

actually end it took ALOT less than 50,000 years to create the vast majority of those dog breeds. most have been developed in the last 1500 years. i also agree that a billion years is actually a hard number to comprehend dinosaurs were around until about 65 million years ago(if you believe current geologic theory). "modern man" has been around for what? approx 10,000 years. "recorded history"(as in actually written down in a language be it paper or the side of a temple or what have you) only goes back a couple thousand years. our most accurate weather models comes from data during the last 100-150 years. 1 billion years is a hard number to try and wrap your brain around.

and it's not "just" one billion years that life has had to evolve...
The Earth formed about 4 billion years ago, and surprisingly the first fossil microorganisms are approximately 3.5 billion years old.
now THAT is a LOOOOOOOONG time!

I mean people that belive in evolution entirely and the bible entirely. They contradict each other.

yes...
If you believe in evolution, lambs and lions have never lived side by side without eating each other. ... and god didn't "create" the fish, the fowl, etc... nor did eve come from adam... etc.
yet the bible says that happened... so you can't have both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back