User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: If you were to study the genome of a cp...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (StifflerMichael @ Jan. 05 2005,11:10)]There are millions of different things you could do with a genome sequence (why do you think the human genome project was undertaken?!). For example you could study comparative evolution, identify novel proteins or genes, etc. Maybe we could refine this question to: what genome would you study and WHAT would you study? Myself: I would like to study several CP genomes, with the hope of maybe finding some novel gene clusters which synthesize small molecules. This could perhaps lead to new theraputic drugs: as many drugs come from plant sources, and CPs are novel plants, perhaps novel drugs are hiding in there genomes waiting to be revealed. Hmm, I work here in biochemistry lab at Harvard, they got lots of money and equipment, maybe I could undertake a 'secret' side project...hmmmm [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    lol this project isnt so secret. i have to chose any species of multi-cellular organism.
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd try to figure out what d. hartymoron's (LOL... I know it's misspelled) yellow things are for.
    but it would sure take forever!
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]lol this project isnt so secret. i have to chose any species of multi-cellular organism.
    What do you mean? Choose any multi-cellular organism? Hmm, I meant that many drugs come from plants (most other multi-cellular organisms except for maybe fungi are not notable sources of drugs), perhaps there are some lurking in a CP genome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (StifflerMichael @ Jan. 05 2005,11:08)]
    Quote[/b] ]lol this project isnt so secret. i have to chose any species of multi-cellular organism.
    What do you mean? Choose any multi-cellular organism?
    Yes any multicellular organism, as long as i can "byod" (bring your own DNA)
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol! Go to any respecting drug campany and ask them: do you spend your time looking for new drugs in plants, fungi and bacteria, or in just any other multicellular organism? They would tell you they would focus on plants, fungi and bacteria--they tend to produce unique molecules. And 'byod' wouldn't help unless you have millions of dollars to have it sequenced!

By the way, it is highly unlikely that any CP genome will ever be sequenced in the near future. Plants usually have a considerably large genome (most larger than ours) and plant research is never on the top of the research priority budget when the goverment hands out the money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (StifflerMichael @ Jan. 06 2005,8:26)]By the way, it is highly unlikely that any CP genome will ever be sequenced in the near future. Plants usually have a considerably large genome (most larger than ours) and plant research is never on the top of the research priority budget when the goverment hands out the money.
    Very true, It isn't of interest. The medical industry isnt interested in natural remedies for anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Utrics, a lack of gene study in that genus (Unless I missed someone's work)

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would go with either Dionaea or Drosera.
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast