What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you were to study the genome of a cp...

Title says it all guys. If you could study the genes of a CP, which one would you choose? I'm having a hard time choosing and i know the perfect people to turn to...

I would pick Nepenthes, i want to know that makes them have such incredible growth habits, leaves and pitchers as totally separate parts, unlike say, a sundew. I also want to know what makes some of them so friggin' huge.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (NepenthesMaster @ Jan. 04 2005,1:06)]I would pick Nepenthes, i want to know that makes them have such incredible growth habits, leaves and pitchers as totally separate parts, unlike say, a sundew. I also want to know what makes some of them so friggin' huge.
Technically the leaf is the pitcher, while the 'leaf' we see is really an expanded petiole.

TOny

I would pick Dionaea by far!

I wouldn't pick one single plant type. I would study cp's that grow in the SE US. They are what intrest me the most.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Jan. 04 2005,4:24)]I wouldn't pick one single plant type. I would study cp's that grow in the SE US. They are what intrest me the most.
whats your favorite SE cp?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter @ Jan. 04 2005,2:43)]I would pick Dionaea by far!
Thats what i was thinking also, since its so prone to mutations.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]whats your favorite SE cp?

I can't choose my favorite, that's like picking which of your kids is your favorite.

I'd choose the Sarracenia rubras and their endangered upland siblings. Where and what are the ancestors they evolved from. Oops, I didn't mean for another 55 page thread to start here too.

For me it would be Drosera, dude - but not droseradude! Sorry Matt, couldn't resist a bad pun!
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Technically the leaf is the pitcher, while the 'leaf' we see is really an expanded petiole.

HA! Live and learn! Didn't know that.....knew it of VFT's, but not neps.

I might like to do a comparitive study of two different genus... like helis and sars. or vft's and aldrovanda.

There are millions of different things you could do with a genome sequence (why do you think the human genome project was undertaken?!). For example you could study comparative evolution, identify novel proteins or genes, etc. Maybe we could refine this question to: what genome would you study and WHAT would you study? Myself: I would like to study several CP genomes, with the hope of maybe finding some novel gene clusters which synthesize small molecules. This could perhaps lead to new theraputic drugs: as many drugs come from plant sources, and CPs are novel plants, perhaps novel drugs are hiding in there genomes waiting to be revealed. Hmm, I work here in biochemistry lab at Harvard, they got lots of money and equipment, maybe I could undertake a 'secret' side project...hmmmm
smile_n_32.gif

How about studying droseras like burmanii and sessiliflora (sp?) or capillaris and sphatulata
smile_n_32.gif

Peter

I would pick Pinguicula, Utricularia, Genlisea and Pygmy Drosera.

Drosera Rotundifolia so I could isolate the genes that allow it to be cold hardy so I could implant these genes in other closely related genus's like Dinaea.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (StifflerMichael @ Jan. 05 2005,11:10)]There are millions of different things you could do with a genome sequence (why do you think the human genome project was undertaken?!). For example you could study comparative evolution, identify novel proteins or genes, etc. Maybe we could refine this question to: what genome would you study and WHAT would you study? Myself: I would like to study several CP genomes, with the hope of maybe finding some novel gene clusters which synthesize small molecules. This could perhaps lead to new theraputic drugs: as many drugs come from plant sources, and CPs are novel plants, perhaps novel drugs are hiding in there genomes waiting to be revealed. Hmm, I work here in biochemistry lab at Harvard, they got lots of money and equipment, maybe I could undertake a 'secret' side project...hmmmm
smile_n_32.gif
lol this project isnt so secret. i have to chose any species of multi-cellular organism.

I'd try to figure out what d. hartymoron's (LOL... I know it's misspelled) yellow things are for.
but it would sure take forever!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]lol this project isnt so secret. i have to chose any species of multi-cellular organism.

What do you mean? Choose any multi-cellular organism? Hmm, I meant that many drugs come from plants (most other multi-cellular organisms except for maybe fungi are not notable sources of drugs), perhaps there are some lurking in a CP genome.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (StifflerMichael @ Jan. 05 2005,11:08)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]lol this project isnt so secret. i have to chose any species of multi-cellular organism.

What do you mean? Choose any multi-cellular organism?
Yes any multicellular organism, as long as i can "byod" (bring your own DNA)

Back