What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You know you're a southerner if....

When I was in Mississippi, a friend from southern Louisiana considered anyone from north of I-10 to be a Yankee.  I don't know what he called people to the west, but I suspect it was even less complimentary.

From the perspective of CT, only people from Maine, NH, & VT are Yankees.  And, when I lived in Maine, it seemed only people from coastal sections of Hancock & Washington counties were Yankees.  No Red Sox fans, wherever they live, are Yankees.

My wife is from Ohio (Yankee) and when we first met I told my kids that she was a yankee. One day they were watching tv and saw something about Yankee Stadium, and they asked her if she lived in Yankee Stadium.

Yes, I know westerner would work, but I thought it should be something cute - yet politely derogatory like yankee.

Hmmmm.. I don't think anyone from the West is a yankee or a rebel... the yankee/rebel thing came about during the Civil War, and the Western states weren't even there yet... just northeast and southeast states..

Westies don't have to do this crap -_^ ...Westies! That's it!!

True, but there was a huge gap between California and east of the Mississippi, or thereabouts.

Maybe something relating to the Rockies would be appropriate?

How about gold-diggers? I mean, that's what got so many people out to Cali in the 1800's, no?

Now that is cute and politely deragatory....

LOL Thanks for enlightening me about grits, Bruce.
laugh.gif
No wonder I like 'em!

We are the Northerners. We Have Virginia. North Carolina will follow. Resitance is Futile. You will be Assimilated.
smile_n_32.gif

BTW, I've always thought that there should be a professional sports team called the San Andreas Fault. Would home field be an advantage?    
smile_m_32.gif

There'd be some high scores if it's a bowling team. If they play baseball, the right field fence would move a little closer every few years.

They'd have to stockpile some left-handed players or right-handed pitchers that can throw a screwball.

You know you're a southerner if you make iced tea by mixing a cup of tea, a cup of ice, and two cups of sugar.

You know you are a southerner if you are asked, "Sweetened or unsweetened".

My California born, Connecticut raised wife thought she was going to die the first time she tasted the sweetened when visiting my parents in Mississippi.  It isn't just the sweetness, that gets you, it's the viscosity too.  Mmmmm . . . sweeter than 10W40 and a little bit thinner.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ Jan. 12 2005,7:01)]You know you're a southerner if you make iced tea by mixing a cup of tea, a cup of ice, and two cups of sugar.
Oh hell yeah!

Day 5, 1:39 PM. The ongoing struggle to keep the South from being Assimilated into the North continues. I have full confidence, though, as I lie here on the futon, staring at the ceiling with a shotgun at my side to protect my territory from invaders, that Florida will forever be Southern. It's the southernmost Eastern state there is. It cannot be Assimilated into Northern territory unless you consider it as North of what, Cuba? We will win the fight. And we will sing Yankee Doodle at them, we will. And it will feel good.

That's what you think.... >;-D
South Florida is already an extension of Cuba, Central Florida is just one big amusement park, and north Florida is overrun with the elderly.

Virginia is ours. North Carolina shall follow. Our agents are already in place. You will fall soon...
smile_n_32.gif

I warn you, I am about to offend lots of people..

The only part of Central Florida that has amusement parks is Orlando. That's one city. ONE. And Central Florida is overrun with the elderly too. Mostly rich Yankees coming down here for the "warm weather", but if you ask me, it's a conspiracy to turn the whole state Republican for no reason other than the fact that rich people get tAx CuTs. I think rich senior citizens should stay where the hell they are. The South's working-class reputation has now been permanently evaporated, and that almost completely destroys my Southern pride.

And that's my 2 cents -_^

FlytrapGurl, you've restored my hope for the South. Thanks.

Back