Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking a trip to north carolina

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Hey everybody,

I am planning a trip to North Carolina in April or May to see Venus Flytraps in their native habitat for the first time in my life. I also want to study them, document, and photograph. Could anybody who has been there or lives there now give me advice concerning these questions below?

Thanks! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

1--I have time in April or May. Would you say there is a better time to go during either of those two months? Specific week advice?

2--Is the terrain where Dionaea muscipula are found very difficult to travel? Basically, will I need uphill mountain hiking gear and plan to bring someone with me, or is it simply a hike through fairly level forest area that I could travel on my own without too much risk of getting injured and isolated?

3--I plan on seeing the North Carolina Botanical Garden, is there a best time to visit that as well?

4--Which counties in North Carolina are best for searching? I have found this Dionaea distribution map...but I wonder which county has the largest amount still found?

http://www.herbarium.unc.edu/Carnivo..._muscipula.htm

5--I have relatives in Hope Mills, Cumberland county. The map from the link includes Cumberland county, but I wonder if there are any Dionaea still surviving today?

6--What kind of weather should I prepare for? I plan on camping in areas where it is permitted and hiking through the forest 5 days out of my seven there. The other two days will be at the NC Botanical Garden.

7--Any other things I haven't thought to ask that you feel I should be aware of?

Thank you guys in advance for any advice you guys have. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Odysseus
    Wife and I in the Netherlands. Sure miss living out there.

My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never been there but I too am planning on going this summer in June, I heard wilmington is one of the best places
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. It's a very good time to see the spring leaves and flowers. I like to go in June or July but if you're not use to the heat, you'll regret it.

2. No. Very easy. All flat. If you are planning to go deep into the swamps you will want to bring a GPS or at least a compass. It's very easy to get lost. You'll also want to wear boots because there are a lot of very dangerous snakes there. Eastern Diamondback, Cottonmouth, and Coral snakes just to name a few. You also have to be careful of bears. Bug repellent is a must! Unless you like being covered in ticks and chiggers.

3. I don't know

4. The map looks like a historic range. I know for a fact that some of those counties no longer have VFT's. Contact me personally and I can give you more details.

5. Maybe. I have never found them there. I have found them within a few miles of Cumberland county though.

6. The weather will range between 70 and 95 degrees. Most likely you'll have 85 and 90. Expect rain.

7. No. It's a $2000 fine and 6 months in jail for each plant, and I would assume that each seed is a single plant. 10 seeds could equal $20,000 and 5 years in jail. Besides you collecting a threated plant is just plain wrong.

If you have any question send me a PM.

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have looked over that site that you posted. I have already found some mistakes. It might be a general guide but it's not very accurate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maybe I might be able to meet up with you odeseus, and ozzy, sunpitcher and his grandma are hopefully going to drive down into central florida, pick me up, then we'll look at the S. Minor populationm then probably go up to the panhandle, and see some leucs, then up to NC To see VFTs Sundews and sarras
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Eastern Diamondback, Cottonmouth, and Coral snakes just to name a few.
    actually there aren't all that many. There are only 6 species of VENOMOUS snakes in all of north carolina
    the whole list (I have it memorized of course...I go out a lot and catch snakes so I need to be able to ID 'em aldough the only venomous snake in my county is the copperhead... anyway there are copperheads, cottonmouths, eastern diamond backs, timber rattlesnakes, pygmy rattlesnakes, and coral snakes)
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, Ozzy! I would'nt have harmed any plants, nor did I plan on taking any. But, I see how picking up any seed and not allowing it to grow in it's environment would be a round about way of hurting the plant. I wasn't looking at it that way.

I'll send you a PM. Thanks again!
    Odysseus

My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kirk,

If we are there around the same time perhaps that will work. But, it may be difficult to orchestrate it.
    Odysseus

My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast