What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Funny tech naming

As seen here, AMD will release their answer to Intel's Pentium M chip, and have decided to call it "Turion". AKA, the dormant resting bud of Aldrovanda. Gotta get me one of those.
smile.gif

I thought that was associated with dormant aquatic Utrics.
confused.gif

That's odd, calling a new processor the equivalent of "dormant bud"..... sorta like the chevy Nova when it was introduced in Mexico.......

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]sorta like the chevy Nova when it was introduced in Mexico.......
maubudon,  I was in Central America when the "Nova" was introduced.  The local Chevy dealer was horrified when he was notified by GM that he was expected to sell a large number of them.  He ended up paying to have new chrome "Estrella" emblems installed.  
laugh.gif

Estrella eh?
confused.gif
Thanks for posting that Lauderdale, I didn't know the dealers ended up holding the bag on that one
What about the pepsi motto that got translated from "choice of a new generation" to "brings your ancestors back to life" in Chinese?
confused.gif
?
Gotta love transliteration mistakes.......

Still, "dormancy bud" for a new processor is pretty dang funny..... less funny once folks start to have "dormancy issues" with them.....

There may be some logic in using the name "turion". Webster's definition:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]a small shoot, as of asparagus or certain aquatic plants, from which a new plant can develop.
So perhaps it is intended to suggest the place where energy is stored and ready to be released to regenerate a new plant (or perhaps a computer).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mabudon @ Jan. 13 2005,3:17)]Still, "dormancy bud" for a new processor is pretty dang funny..... less funny once folks start to have "dormancy issues" with them.....
Also called "the blue screen of death"
smile_n_32.gif

Back