What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Group order

I am planning on doing another group order next fall (september-october). Does anyone have any suggestions as to where? Obviously it should be outside the US and not Triffid Park (Thats this springs order).
I have heard at an equal ratio:
Wistuba
Best Carnivorous Plants

I vote for wistuba. They have many rarer helis and neps:)

I vote for Best! They have tons of vft's types I want to get my hands on
smile_n_32.gif

Plus they sell the plants in groups so people can split up the price if they get the same things.

Here's another vote for Wistuba. It has a much more exotic collection and an order from there isn't taking business from our too generous sponsor.

I have no opinion, that I am going to share. So do not ask me.

i have no stake in this as i dont plan that far out but when last i looked at Wistuba's website, shipping is not that bad being the ship through someone with the right certificates here in the states. if i remember something it was like 10 euros for standard delivery. more for priority once it hits stateside. but as said before Wistuba wouldnt be in competition with our sponsor so if your going to advertise your ordering here go with Wistuba IMHO. with that said keep us up to date if yah order i wouldnt mind a few of those ant ferns he grows as long as "we" would recieve the order before it gets cold. im running out of room for Neps
smile_n_32.gif
i need a greenhouse
confused.gif

Best Cps is in compition with our sponsor? I did not know pet flytrap or jungle supply shipped over seas.

no what you are doing with Best would be advertising for ppl here in the states to buy plants that PFT sells which would be in competition with our excellent host. Wistuba mainly sells a large number of Neps that PFT doesnt although he does have Helis and Utrics and antferns and a few other things too. see what i am saying?

I see. I was supprised by the comment because I had advertised for Triffid Park here. Either way at this point I believe that Wistuba is ahead. Not that that matters because multiple people could vote to sway it. But I would not like people to vote one way or another because of competition. I belive many of the people who are ordering are not newbes and therefore already own or own a great deal of PFT's stock. I know I do. In fact I own a species of most nurseries in the US except of course Cooks and Calif Carn's because the cp growers who own them will trade or sell stuff from their own stack to you. But If I and when I do order from out of country I would certainly ot order stuff that could be obtained from PFT or anyother cp nursery in the US because that would be stupid becasue on average the plants will cost more (With shipping) then here in the US.

The moderators along with Phill discussed the Triffid order at the time. Phill decided it was fine as this is not a frequent occurance and people would most likely be ordering things not commonly available here in the US and it was a general good thing for folks to remain excited about the hobby! If it becomes a common occurance though, there may be reconsideration.

I would keep in mind though that there are US nurseries that do go through the trouble and expense of bringing in a variety of plants from various places overseas. So it is not just an issue with Nepenthes vs VFT etc and PFT. Just a general good policy to support domestic business.. even though it is nice to get the plant directly from the source for less than a domestic supplier. Plus a reputable domestic supplier will have acclimated the plant and in cases of Southern plants readjusted their dormancy cycle, if they have one. So while it may seem like a bargain it isn't always that much of a savings.

Tony

Good point by the domestic businessman who has an amazing variety of Neps for sale right here in the US of A.

Okay So I guess I will not advertise here. I have asked though and no one in the US has these plants (at least to sell or trade):
N. aristolichiodes
H. elongata
H. tatei
H. chitimansis (spelled wrong)
H. unidentified
Most Mexican Pings
There are so few of these species that it is next to impossible to get one:
N. rajah
N. hamata
H. ionansi
H. minor
H. nutans
H. heterodoxa
Tuberous Drosera
Among others
See my point. I do not want to take clients away but Some of us have wanted things like N aristolichiodes and Heliamphora species for years. The actual goal of mine for these group orders is to import plants that cannot be found in the US. I just do not have enough money to do it without other people helping pay the bills (and most get rare plants also). If PFT or any Nursery in the US offered these plants I would gladly buy from them. Tony if you started importing rare species and sold them for a little above import price you would probibly triple your buisness. Honestly, post on any listserv or forum one of the mentioned plants and dozens of people will respond.

Back