What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ethical question

I have my CPs growing outdoors, and most of them catch enough insects on their own to survive.  However, I recently received a heliamphora, which doesn’t catch insects well, so I sometimes catch mosquitoes and ants to feed it.  Meanwhile, the leaves of the nearby drosera and pinguicula are full of insects, and I’ve thought about transferring a few of them to the helimaphora.  The question of whether it would be ethical to move insects caught by one plant to another occurred to me, although I realize that in the greater scheme of things that issue would be deemed rather insignificant.  Nonetheless, it’s something that came to my mind.  Then from a more practical standpoint, I wonder if the chemicals picked up by the insects caught by the drosera or pinguicula would be harmful to the heliamphora.

Think of it as the "Robin hood effect" - sharing the wealth around.

If my sense of ethics went that deep I don't think I'd ever get anything done.
smile.gif

You can recognize a cper a mile away
smile_n_32.gif

If you had a coworker and that coworker is not as smart or as well equipped for the job as you. Do you think it would be fair for your boss to take some of your pay and give it to your coworker?

Is it even ethical to grow plants that kill insects? I hate to think of all the bad Karma!
smile_h_32.gif

I a very bad man.
smile_n_32.gif

Glenn

karma isn't transfered by proxy....

So, your plants will get the undesireable karma not you

Katch sum bugs urself, its not hard. sweep a butterfly net trough tall grass, wait to pounce on bugs that visit flowing plants. the bugs that visit flowining olants want nectar, so perhaps put helemorpha in a flower gerden ( i do that with al my cps muhahaha)

rotate your tires

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]or make traps.

YEAH! But make them be plants! YEAH! And and, make them look cool and and- like from another planet! Like.. Like VENUS! YEAH! And then call them Venu- ... ... wait.. this sounds.. strangely familiar..
confused.gif

If we want to go inot ethics here guys..........is it really ethical to catch a bug and feed it to your plants? I have thought about that from time to time. I wonder if it even ethical to swat a fly........of course we all do it....but is it really ethical. If you think about it, you are still taking a life, a life that God created. What are your guys' thoughts?

We'd all starve if went ultra-ethical. It's flora eat fauna world out there!

I know someone who is a vegan. He draws the line at "anything with a central nervous system" and he hates the taste of vegatables. Tofu is about all he eats. His logic is that anything with a central nervous system can feel pain and think at least at some primative level.

Ethics are a man made construct to help use live in the social groupings we have chosen to live in. They are not absolutes and vary from society to society. There are general ethics accepted by the general public and personal ethics of the individual. In our society as it is currenty configured, I would say killing bugs falls under personal ethics and everyone has to sort it out for themselves. Besides, I hate when people tell me what to do, even when they are right.

I try and kill as little as possible and encourage everyone to do the same.

Glenn

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I wonder if it even ethical to swat a fly

then you wonder ethics too mutch.

poor helpless innocent soybeans..
deprived of their true nature (that of growing into a soy plant)
squashed, mashed, roasted and pulpified only to be eaten by a human.
so sad!
I think we need to standup for soybean rights.
soybeans have feelings too!

smile_m_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

the only way we can never harm or kill anopther living thing is if we kill ourselves.

I love the arguements some militant vegans have against eating animals..
"Cow milk isnt meant for human consumption! its unnatural"!
well.. soybeans arent meant for human consumption either!
carrots arent "meant" for human consumption!
a soybeans only purpose it to nurture a baby soy plant! ;)
the ONLY food "meant" for human consumption is human mother's milk..
so unless a vegan is consuming ONLY that, I dont want to hear about eating animals!
laugh.gif

Scot

[b said:
Quote[/b] (scottychaos @ Jan. 18 2005,10:30)]the only way we can never harm or kill another living thing is if we kill ourselves.
Talk about a "Catch-22" situation
laugh.gif

i'm a vegan. auctually i ONLY eat raw veggies/fruits and soy products.

i dont give a crap about animals being eaten, i do it for health.

eat all the beef you want guys, it tastes great!

i love fruit and veggies, but only a good variety and the inclusion of exotic and uncommon fruits could prevent be from becoming board.

*pops a kumquat ino his mouth and chews*

mnm so good! ever had mangosteen? They are right in calling it the best fruit!

oh i hate vegetables..all of them. after a little while you get used to being a herbivore and you dont get cravings anymore.

Back