Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mosquito larvae in my water trays

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Alpha, it sounds like you know a little something about mosquitos (or at least have more available info than I do.) What's the shortest larval gestation I can expect? My apartment is fairly warm (68 degrees is cold, according to my roommate) and there's enough stuff in the water (soil, bits of live sphagnum) to keep the larvae well fed as far as I know.
    I'll be darned if I know! LOL That's why I didn't provide any extra info :P I only knew that because it's the same with almost ever other cold blooded organism (and I had heard it before)
    How Mosquitoes Work
    while you're at howstuffworks.com, I recomend reading the "how bats work" article. Everyone should know that! (especially those of you batophoboes! ) I love bats... they're so cool... not to mention useful (eg. they eat mosquitoes)
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    definatly, i should get more involved with batconservation . org (batcon.org)
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cool pics [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    so everyone... what's the lesson here? bats are the solution! they eat tons of mosquitoes every night. so get a bat house! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    (for those lazy ones of you out there.. here's the link http://science.howstuffworks.com/bat.htm ... hey, I'm lazy too!)
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Most bat species are not only harmless to humans, but actually beneficial. Insectivorous bats are far and away the best bug-killers on the planet. The little brown bat, one of the most common North American bat species, can catch and eat as many as 1,200 mosquitoes in one hour. The famous colony of Mexican free-tail bats that lives underneath the Congress Avenue Bridge in Austin, Texas, will eat up to 30,000 pounds of insects in a single night. A Mexican free-tail colony in Bracken Cave, Texas, containing more than 20 million bats, will eat roughly 200 tons of insects in a night
    now if you ask me that's a little over the top... i mean HOW can they catch so much? wow! but I guess they have their reasons for saying that and I have none :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]I'm lazy too!)
    hey me too [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Quote[/b] ]now if you ask me that's a little over the top... i mean HOW can they catch so much? wow! but I guess they have their reasons for saying that and I have none :P
    well a humingbird with a similar matabolism can use the calories and protein from a single bug for up to 10 minuits before it runs out and needs another
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    funny thing is that bats have a much less efficient breathing mechanism.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The little blood suckers are attracted to bananas I have an adquatic Utric I (gibba) I can ship you a piece. It will probibly be able to take care of 30% of the blood suckers. The gibba will fit in at least two trays at first (depeding on how big the trays are). But just think if your cps eat the blood suckers (aka vampire bugs) then your cps are actually vampirous. Well quazy vampirous since they use all the insects fluids.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think they're attracted to bannanas. They're attracted to you if you've EATEN a banana because bananas are rich in potassium and they need the potassium to lay eggs or something.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast