Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mosquito larvae in my water trays

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    20 million bats eating 200 tons of insects in a night means each ate about 1/3 ounce.

I've been told a weekly water change is adequate for our mosquitoes in CT.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I used to have a bat box down at my parents' place when I was younger, but when I went away to school it wasn't something I wanted to try taking. And I'm not sure how bats would take to living in my apartment.
    Treaqum, that's a very generous offer, and I'd be happy to take you up on it. I don't have much to offer right now in return so far as trades, but I'll PM you and we can discuss it.
    You guys know that they used to think that people evolved from bats? There's strong skeletal and anatomical resemblance, but DNA testing did a pretty good job of refuting that theory in the 70's, I think. It's still pretty cool though. :)
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (pinkerton @ Jan. 17 2005,11:42)]i find my sundews take fine care of the mosquitos here. i'm in Everett, WA just bit farther north. they also seem to die off (or down) this time of the year. besides, if the plants don't get 'em my cats have a blast chatching the ones that slip through.
    ...of course the down side is i've lost plants from them tearing around the place too. it's an odd harmony.
    Your cats chase the mosquitos? How big are the mosquitos in your neck of the woods? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_l_32.gif[/img]

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (pinkerton @ Jan. 17 2005,11:42)]i find my sundews take fine care of the mosquitos here. i'm in Everett, WA just bit farther north. they also seem to die off (or down) this time of the year. besides, if the plants don't get 'em my cats have a blast chatching the ones that slip through.
    ...of course the down side is i've lost plants from them tearing around the place too. it's an odd harmony.
    How small are the cats?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]You guys know that they used to think that people evolved from bats? There's strong skeletal and anatomical resemblance, but DNA testing did a pretty good job of refuting that theory in the 70's
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]
    that's ridiculous... WHO thought that? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't remember who came up with that theory in particular, but I do know it was advanced by some evolutionary paleontologists before the case for descent from apes was as well documented as it is today (around the time of the Piltdown man discovery, I think.) Back in high school I did an art project contrasting the skeleton of a pig-nosed bat with a gibbon and a human. Here's some info. Hehe, interestingly, while searching for this, I found quite a few pages explaining Creationist refutations of Darwinism using bats as citations and examples. Quite the hot topic!
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OY!!! amazing what people used to think :P
    Quote[/b] ]"What would have happened if Man had evolved from something besides a Monkey?" Well, what would have happened?
    then we wouldn't be humans! duh! lol.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shortest gestation for mosquitoes, from hatchling to adult--------- four days. Some take ten.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast