User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help save the arctic national wildlife refuge!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was an email forwarded to me. Please fill it out and forward it to more people.

Dear NRDC Member,

No one voted on Election Day to destroy the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.But President Bush is now claiming a mandate to do exactly that.

Congressional leaders are pushing for a quick vote that would turn America's greatest sanctuary for Arctic wildlife into a vast, polluted oil field.

Even worse, they are planning to avoid public debate on this devastating measure by hiding it in a must-pass budget bill.

Please go to http://www.nrdcactionfund.org/arctic0501.asp
    right now and send a message telling your U.S. senators and representative to reject this sneak attack on the Arctic Refuge.

And please forward my message to your friends, family and colleagues. We must mobilize millions of Americans in opposition as quickly as possible.

Don't believe for a second that the president is targeting the Arctic Refuge for the sake of America's energy security or to lower gas prices at the pump.

President Bush knows full well that oil drilled in the Arctic Refuge would take ten years to get to market and would never equal more than a paltry one or two percent of our nation's daily consumption. Simply put, sacrificing the crown
    jewel of our wildlife heritage would do nothing to reduce gas prices or break our addiction to Persian Gulf oil.

But if the raid on the Arctic Refuge isn't really about gas prices or energy security, then what is it about?

It's the symbolism.

The Arctic Refuge represents everything spectacular and everything endangered about America's natural heritage. It embodies a million years of ecological serenity . . . a vast stretch of pristine wilderness . . . an irreplaceable birthing ground for polar bears, caribou and white wolves.

It is the greatest living reminder that conserving nature in its wild state is a core American value. It stands for every remnant of wilderness that we, as a people, have wisely chosen to protect from the relentless march of bulldozers, chain saws and oil rigs.

And that's why the Bush administration is dead set on destroying it.

By unlocking the Arctic Refuge, they hope to open the door for oil, gas and coal giants to invade our last and best wild places: our western canyonlands, our ancient forests, our coastal waters, even our national monuments.

This is the real agenda behind the raid on the Arctic Refuge and the entire Bush-Cheney energy plan: to transfer our public estate into corporate hands so it can be liquidated for a quick buck.

House Majority Leader Tom DeLay (R-TX) admitted as much when he said this battle over the Arctic Refuge is really a fight over whether energy exploration will be allowed in similarly sensitive areas in the future. "It's about
    precedent," Rep. DeLay said.

I take him at his word. If we let the president and Congress plunder the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge for the sake of oil company profits, then no piece of our natural heritage will be safe from wholesale destruction. Please go to http://www.nrdcactionfund.org/arctic0501.asp
    and tell your senators and representative they have no mandate to destroy the Arctic Refuge. Then please be sure to forward this message to as many people as you can.

And thank you for speaking out at this critical time.

Sincerely,

Robert Redford
    Board of Trustees
    Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    first off im all for stuff along these lines normally BUT being as i have a first hand account of current oil drilling in Alaska(my brother has worked rigs up there, right now he is working them in Wyo.) its not that big of a deal. its not anywhere close to being the big polluter that enviro's make it out to be. the companies are EXTREAMLY careful as fines are high. those working on the rigs are paid LARGE bonuses for not having a single spill or accident. if yah want to put a stop to this kind of thing push for more production of ethonal. its cleaner burning and much cheaper than oil and can be made anywhere anytype of grain is grown without the pollution of oil refineries.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    right, like being payed extra for not having a accedent is going to prevent one
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok let me put this another way drilling for oil isnt going to last terribly much longer. why? our oil refineries aare going to be on there last legs soon and there will not be another one built because there is no way that one would pass and EPA rules. our "new" oil refinery is something along the lines of 35-50 years old. you are better off putting your energy into pushing for ethonal plants then preventing more drilling in the USA because of all the whiners who claim the whole Iraq war is about oil, solution: dont bother with foriegn oil anymore and open up our own reserves but i guess the enviro freaks are to wrapped up in saving the enviroment to allow any more drilling and its the same ppl claiming that we shouldnt be in the middle east at all and going by the small numbers of hybrid cars i see on the roads i guess they still think we need to get oil from somewhere. screw screaming about the Alaskan drilling, the chances of a spill are remote. put your screaming twords demanding more ethonal being mixed in with gasoline. any car on the road can run on 10/90 ethonal/gas. some of the newer vehicles can run on a 85/15 ethonal/gas mix. all ethonal is, is a grain alcohol. it can be made from corn, wheat, barley........any grain!!!! and the byprotuct "mush" can be fed as a high protien feed to livestock. sounds like a better way to direct your energy to me.
    cervid serial killer
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!

As a life-long Alaskan and someone who has seen ANWR personaly and also seen the oil fields at Prudhoe Bay it kills me to think of ANWR becoming that. Accidents do happen and they have an extreme effect on the wildlife when they do. Look at the Valdez oil spill.
    I would hardly call working for the oil company a "first hand account". They only tell you what they want you to hear. Besides, making that kind of money, who's going to complain?
    I do agree that focusing on decreasing our demand for oil is a much better soultion though. I don't think anything can be done about ANWR now.. between Bush and Alaska's gov. Murkowski there isn't a chance in heck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh please, what a load of crap!
    and the lunatic fringe wonders why people dont take them seriously..

"Congressional leaders are pushing for a quick vote that would turn America's greatest sanctuary for Arctic wildlife into a vast, polluted oil field."

"It is the greatest living reminder that conserving nature in its wild state is a core American value. It stands for every remnant of wilderness that we, as a people, have wisely chosen to protect from the relentless march of bulldozers, chain saws and oil rigs.
    And that's why the Bush administration is dead set on destroying it."

umm yeah..ok. that sounds perfectly logical!
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_l_32.gif[/img]

but oh yeah, I keep forgetting..we dont need to bother with facts or logic, lets just make up sensational horror stories that have no basis in reality, just because we hate Bush and have our own agenda to push.
    making up outright lies is fine as long as people are stupid enough to believe it..(which, sadly, many are..)
    Scot

The North Slope has as much oil as the entire Middle East. And you know why they don't want people to drill any more up there? They want to wait until the rest of the world dries up, and then we can open up shop and collect the wealth of other countries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Bonnie @ Jan. 26 2005,5:32)]I would hardly call working for the oil company a "first hand account". They only tell you what they want you to hear. Besides, making that kind of money, who's going to complain?
    LMAO!!!!!! my brothers alot of things but he is nobodys parrot. the ONLY two things that are any concern of his are the well being of his family and getting funds to pay for his next round of fun. no offence taken Bonnie but he is one guy that will speak his mind reguardless of consiquences.

Alaskas going to be opened up for oil. there is nothing we are going to be able to do about that. the world craves oil and money talks. your efforts are better spent demanding the production and use of more ethonal. its an easy solution that can be implimented now nation wide unlike hydrogen fuel. in Miles City, Montana of all places(about 2.5 hours from me) last week they were selling 85% ethonal "gas" for $0.95 a gallon. if i remember right GM has seveal popular models now with engines that can run on the 85% ethonal as well as "pure" gasoline. and like i said EVERY car out there with a gasoline engine can run on a 10-15% ethonal mix gasoline
    cervid serial killer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast