Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips on repotting?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do any of the long time growers have tips on how to make repotting faster? Over the past couple years I've pretty much mastered repotting but find that it takes HOURS just to repot a tray of 30 plants. And that is only around half the collection. So is there any shortcuts or special techniques?
    I thought you people where \"Plant Geeks\", Look at me Now...

Growing List-
    http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17062

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope. Just be happy that you have all those plants. It is also an excellent time for the health inspection.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that's what I thought but as the saying goes "there is no such thing as a stupid question"

How do nurserys pot so many plants?

But if there is any other advice, it would be greatly appreicated! I want to here some more advice from long term growers who own hundreds of plants. The worse are repotted crowded vft and sundew seedlings!
    I thought you people where \"Plant Geeks\", Look at me Now...

Growing List-
    http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17062

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All i do (for sundews, vfts, ect) i squeeze the pot one way, then the other way perpendicular to it. And i turn it over holding my hand so it won't fall to the floor. I hold it in my hand and gently turn it over so it doesn't collapse, and i put it in the hole i dug in the media beforehand.
    Note that if the media is too lose, then this may not work. It really works best with root bound plants, and LFS etc.

For the pitcher plants with liquid that i don't want to fall out, i take a small spade or something to that effect, and i loosen the dirt around it. Then i put my fingers in the media and pinch it, and lift it up. then i put it in the media. This works for everything, but i like the previous method when i'm pressed for time.

I find that these methods work very well, and they don't take too long. Hope i helped. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Update: Parents convinced to allow me to keep greenhouse heated over winter. Most species will not be lost. Too lazy to update growlist.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Repotting is a slow process. If you find doing all your plants tedious, then break it up over a few days. I usually repot only two or three plants a day when it comes time to do so, so that I can enjoy the chore. (I must admit, I don't have too many plants which require frequent repotting, and I have things staggered so that I only need to do a dozen or so each season.) Like Tre said, it's a good time for a checkup, so you want to be in the mood to pay attention and give your plants the best treatment possible.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i take the old pot, put it in the new pot and fill with dirt. then i squeeze the pot oin the sides, the old plant pops out and fits perfectly into the new whole. then i just add a little extra dirt to cover the seam.

almost no stress and i dont break up the rootball. soak for 24 hours in superthrive (about 1 drop per cup)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have learned a few time saving tips over the years that help speed up repotting. Very shortly I will have to repot, divide, and pot up to the next size 400+ sarracenia. The first tip is like a few others have said, only modified, is if all you are doing is potting up say 3" pots to 6" for example, fill the larger pot with medium of choice and fill around an empty pot of the same sized pot thereby leaving a void exactly the size you need. Then it's simply a matter of overturning and placing the potbound plant into its new home.

The second tip that may extend the length of time it takes before you need to repot Sarracenia deals with species that have strong central leading points, ie. alata, leuco, flava etc. is instead of centering the rhizome exactly in the middle of the pot, place the oldest part, that is the part not actively growing, against the wall of the pot. This will allow the plant to grow into the center of the pot and greatly reduce the frequency or necessity of repotting due to the growth point(s) reaching the pot walls. This won't speed up the repotting process per se, but like I said may reduce the frequency in which you need to repot.

Hope this helps!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think there's any sure-fire way of saving too much time. I just spent the day yesterday dividing a bunch of Sarr's. My back was hurting so much I didn't even repot them. I saved some for trades, but they're all sitting in baggies right now. I'll pot up what I'm saving for myself tomorrow.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast