Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Job search a tough one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can tell you from experience that a hour and 20 minute comute every day SUCKS. I used to drive (for about a year) 114 miles a day (to San Marcos) and back, (funny enough I live in a big town and was driving to a small town to work.. lol) the wear and tear on my vehicle plus gas and so on, made the job ALMOST a money pit. I had 10$ left over every month to take my wife to a matinee movie. That was the toughest time in our marrige, we went through that 5 year trouble spot in a few months.

Maybe you could make a job for yourself? Go around to all the small busineses in your town and start building websites for them. handle domain registration and server space leasing on your own thruogh a company like www.godaddy.com, you can get a Gig of space for under 10 bucks a month, most websites don't get very large, say, 100 mb, IF that, charge a service fee for the hosting and what not... help move these small town businesses into the new millenium. If a path ain't there, plow one on your own! turn your small town into an asset.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've known too many people who've waited for jobs to come to them and it almost never works. If you want to do graphic design and can move as little as 1 1/2 hours to get the job you want, it's worth it. That drive is easy on weekends for visiting friends. Build your experience and keep an eye on jobs back where you actually want to live. Competition can be fierce and you shouldn't ignore opportunities.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, it is tough when you wait around for jobs. But in this case, this is the job that I want, and the art director there has stated that she needs more help, but it's the owners that aren't giving her clearance to hire another designer. She said more than likely in the next couple of months she will be cleared to hire. Also, the other place that I would like to work at in town is moving into a much larger building and more than likely expanding.

I think what I'm going to do is try to get a job in town. I see there is an opening for a driver for NAPA. I am going to try and get that job, and work hard in my free time developing my website, and advertising for some freelance work. If I'm driving around to lots of businesses, I could see if they need a website [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Maybe you could make a job for yourself? Go around to all the small busineses in your town and start building websites for them. handle domain registration and server space leasing on your own thruogh a company like www.godaddy.com, you can get a Gig of space for under 10 bucks a month, most websites don't get very large, say, 100 mb, IF that, charge a service fee for the hosting and what not... help move these small town businesses into the new millenium. If a path ain't there, plow one on your own! turn your small town into an asset.
    Well put Ram Puppy. That's a great idea about the domain registration and server space. I hadn't thought about that part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]If a path ain't there, plow one on your own! turn your small town into an asset.
    I like that alot [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing about a "fill in" job is that you never know hen it will come in handy later on. The job at the troical fish wholesaler was a fill in job until I got back in my field. I was ther for 4 years before I got back into environmental work. 8 years later, when the environmental industry went belly up, my fish job was waiting for me. At one point I worked for Burns Security as a guard. I left in good standing. Who knows? It may come in handy when I am 80 years old. When I moved to PA i worked as a temp for a laboratory. When I was let go, I was quickly hired at Home Depot. Two months later I was hired by another lab and decided to keep the H.D. job, on Saturdays. It may come in handy down the road. My 18 year old son is going to a community college and is also working for McDonalds. Although he realizes that McDonalds isn't his career, it is helping to pay tuition, rent, and getting him in good standing if he needs to work there again, in a different city. Ya never know about one's "bridges".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi FireWired

I graduated in graphic design last summer and have been exactly where you are. Hopefully my experiences will help you!

Firstly, nobody wants to employ a graphic designer with no experience. You may have a first class degree but companies want someone whose 'oven ready' and don't want to pay wages out to teach someone how to do the job for a couple of months. When I graduated I found myself a company where I worked for no money whatsoever. I ended up working there for four months, an hour there and an hour back each day. But it was worth it. I learnt so much by just being in a working environment and learning how the two guys I worked with dealt with clients.

The way I got my placement was by finding out the addresses of every company in the area and sending out letters and CVs (resumes I think you call them in America) - but more importantly getting companies to look at my website. Here it is: My Webpage
    Back then it was much simpler with just my university portfolio on. It was all created with Frontpage Express and Photoshop. I'm no web designer but I know how to design graphics, so everythings just images within the tables you use in Frontpage. This site was made after I completed my placement back in December, the original was just basic black and white based on my old tutor's site:Pete Thompson

My point is just get your portfolio online in whatever form and send out 100 or so flyers / CVs / letters, whatever, to get you a placement (or even better paid work!). Have a look at my CV on my website. There are a couple of tricks I was taught.

1.) Put an image of yourself in the top left. It's more difficult psychologically for an employer to ignore a CV when they can see the person. A page with just text has no association with a living person.

2.) Put a quote at the bottom in italics if you have no referee or reference
    e.g. "Alexis is an enthusiastic, talented individual who would be a great asset to any team"
    Who said this? You did, but someone looking at your CV won't know that.

Hope this is of some help. I finished my placement on 17th December and only just now are jobs starting to appear again. I've just sent out another 50 or so flyers to companies just to get them to look at my website and found 3 jobs I've applied for on Friday

Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12