Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Job search a tough one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well........I've been graduated for a month now, and I still don't have a job. There are positions available in town here but nothing for graphic designers right now. I could get a job at a couple of other places for a while i suppose, but I was really hoping to get a nice graphic design job somewhere. There are some openings in a couple of other towns around, but i don't want to drive an hour and a half every day to and from work. And I also can't afford to wait on a graphic design job much longer. Hopefully soon.........

- Joel
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joel,

I understand completely where you are coming from. I have 8 years of IT experience as an analyst, and I can't find a full time position, I have been doing contracts for almost 5 years now. It is a brutal employment environment for guys like us right now.

My suggestion, put a resume up on www.monster.com, seach job sites like www.dice.com DAILY, and don't rely on e-mail for transmitting your resume, by all means use it, but send your resume with a cover letter in PAPER form tot he employer too, even go so far as to show up and fill out an employment application, the more times the hiring manager sees your name, the more likely they are to hire you.

Also, look into getting your resume with employment/consulting groups like TekSystems, Professional Access, and so forth ( those two may not be in your area, but a quick scan of the yellow pages will let you know who is.)

Don't be afraid to take something outside your degree area, If it's a good company that is growing and will have opportunities for you in the future, just get your foot in the door. Trust me, I know it's hard out there, I went from a steady 9 to 5 job to working 12 hour night shifts for the last two years and I earn a lot less than I used to... the market is flooded with skilled employees right now. Good luck. and don't take any jobs I want. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the meantime, take a position, while you are looking, with anything reasonable. Some money is better than no money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you move to the job? The more unique the career, the less control you have over its location.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, some money is definitely better than none.

I would really rather not move. I have so many friends where I am now, and my family is not far either, so it is a really nice location for me to be in. I like the town quite a bit and would really rather not move. I am confident something will open up for me soon. In the mean time, I'm working on a website to advertise for myself and will see what I can get for freelance work. Thanks guys [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, perhaps you can tele-comute?

Sounds like your living in a small town, I live in san antonio TX, (1 million plus residents) and have been willing to move to the Dallas FT Worth area, as well as Houston, Austin, and other large cities in the state, but it comes down to the glut of people on the market, SBC, Enron, Dell, all have laid people off and competition is beyond fierce.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Commuting is another option.....there is work in the neighboring city that's about an hour and 20 minutes away. That seems like it would be kind of a tough commute every day. I would basically get home in time to have some supper, hit the gym and go to bed. That seems like it would be kind of rough. But, like it was mentioned before, it would be better than no income at all.

It depends on what you consider a small town. Any town in North Dakota is probably small compared to San Antonio [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] I live in a town of about 50,000. The town is actually around 40,000, but there is an air base nearby that has over 10,000 people.

I grew up an hour away from here, and went to college here for 4 and half years, so I've met quite a few people here. I grew up here and have really enjoyed the area and would like to stay here. What I would really like to see is the town grow a little bit. It seems like it is kind of at a standstill right now. That seems like it takes quite a bit though to set those wheels in motion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast