Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The most trusted news orginizations

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is interesting, in a unofficial poll i conducted, it turns out that the news orginizations most trusted by their veiwers are the most biased and alling neatly with their veiws.

Now im gonna take a stab at it, but that certainly appeirs to be the case with fox news and a few others. As more and more tv veiwers migrate to shows that best reflect their veiws, unbiased news is becoming more rare because people appeir not to want it. I feel my news station is unbiased, but *shurgs* perhaps it is not.

I have also heard conservetive accusations about a 'libral' media. If 'Libral' they mean more libral than fox news, then theyd be right.

So thats what i feel about mass media today. whay are yout feelings on it?
    that makes no logic

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sick of the media... coming from a hometown with a very bad newspaper and disreputable press in general, I don't have much appreciation for it, especially after doing an internship at one of the TV news stations. It's all about fluff and giving people what they want to hear while expending as little effort as possible. I think it's a shame that so many people forgo good journalism in favor of a few extra bucks - I know there's a better balance. But, the press knows that they can delude the public for money, and so they do. To paraphrase John Stewart, happy capitalism, everybody.
    A very interesting observation, Finch.
    ~Joe

PS - I might add, if you really trust the system of the press, then you should know not to trust any one report to begin with.
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my own observation
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Finch @ Feb. 10 2005,1:39)]I feel my news station is unbiased, but *shurgs* perhaps it is not.
    let me just say this, there is no such thing as an unbiased media, they make the choice of what they will or will not show, therefor right there they create bias. Im not saying your news station is better or worse than others, im just saying that their bias does play into it, there bias probably lines up well with your point of view and your own biases.

Please do not take this personally, i am basicly just backing up your own opinion on bias in the media.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are (at least) two variables when evaluating news: bias and accuracy. As ktulu correctly points out, every news source is biased. They have no choice but to be. The mere selection of what kind of stories to talk about is based on the priorities (or biases) of the news director.

The other variable is accuracy and professionalism. Given that there is a bias, is the story at least accurate? Is the information clearly presented in complete, honest form? Is there vigorous investigative journalism happening (as opposed to simply reading wire reports)? Are they free of conflicts of interests? (For example a station owned by a giant parent conglomerate not reporting bad news about the parent company.)

I'd say that picking a news source that reflects your bias isn't a bad thing, but picking a sloppy, inaccurate news source is. And there's plenty of both out there!

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finch your observations are right as far as im concerned

Capslock, i couldnt agree more

there is no such thing as unbiased reporting, they preach it sometimes but yah know what happens if you write something totally unbiased, without any emotion? you get a rather boring story. although i have seen some pretty decent and fair point - counter point writing that was alright to read and about as unbiased as anything. never take a TV story at face value especially if its at all slanderous or something special interest as you are pretty much guarenteed not to be getting the whole story.

Joe sorry to hear about your local paper, i work for a decent small town paper that does its best to be unbiased , well untill you make enemies with the manager but generally that requires breaking some open meeting law [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get my news from a variety of sources on the web, generally i hit fox first, then MSNBC, and then CNN. After I am done with the major news sources, I can generally pick through the bias and innacuracies and know what's going on. I also have a few other smaller web sites that I go to as well. I am a pretty conservative guy, so I tend to gravitate towards FOX, but I have learned not to trust everything I hear, see, and read. If the story is important, it get's researched.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I get my news from a variety of sources on the web
    That's the ticket. For all of my news, I check on lots of sites. I find it especially important to look at articles from outside of the country -it helps being able to read some German for this one [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] -. If nothing else, I get an alternative view. Really, the bottom line for me is coming to my own conclusions. Often I'll have discussions on things as well, and since it's on the internet I see a wide variety of points made which allow me to find out what is really true, and what is not. It's just silly to put all your trust in to one news source.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast