What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much to charge

• Thread starter firewired
  • Start date
Hey everybody! My job is going great so far. I have been assigned a big project right off the bat. It's a large flyer to go into the newspaper here in town. 12 pages long packed plum full of things.

I've also got a couple of freelance projects to do on the side. But I don't really know what to charge people for them. I'm starting out, so I can't really go too high. The professionals here in town charge $60 an hour, and the art director charges $100 an hour for web design! So I wondered if maybe $25 an hour would be a good price. I would be doing work for the college, and kind of doing work for my teachers I had for graphic design, and they thought $25 was a little high, but they said they would see if they could get that from the board. Maybe I will ask them tomorrow what a fair price would be.

Does anybody here have any freelancing experience? If so, any idea what I should charge? Thanks!

- Joel

I would think your professors would know better than anyone if they work in the field and know your area well.

I did freelance web design for $35 starting out, but the market was better then.

You're doing similar work professionally? What is your hourly rate for that? I'd charge a bit more than that, since your billable hours in that sort of freelance work are less than actual time spent.

Don't be afraid to charge what your work is worth. Are you good? Charge them for that.

Capslock

Back