Likes Likes:  0
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Racism

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (RamPuppy @ Feb. 14 2005,11:55)]well, let me say I continue to be proud of all of you for such an intelligent and witty, and amazingly, even somewhat humorous discourse on a very heavy subject. I think I speak for all the mods when I say that.
    It's probably because it's basically a one-sided discussion. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] I doubt it'll be one the mods need to worry about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well it wasn't so one sided a discussion a few pages back was it? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

And "Positive Racism" can be a hot point too, some people think affirmative action goes to far, for instance when a caucasions test scores are far superior to those of an affirmitive action candidate for getting into med-school, yet the affirmative action student get's in and the caucasian doesn't. I know for a fact this happened to my former brother in law, who blew away one of his black friends on the admittance test, what is it... (memory) MCATS?) he was not admitted to Baylor Medical School though his scores were superior across the board, and his friend was admitted.

I am all for giving disadvantaged people (regardless of race) a leg up, but one would hope they have figured it out by the time they graduate from college. Here is a conundrum, poor white kid that went to a crappy overcrowded inner city school makes good and applies for med school, compared to a rich, privately educated black kid. All test scores being equal, if a choice has to be made between them and the school is still using affirmative action to assist in that decision, the poor kid get's the shaft. I am not sure affirmative action still works this way however, I belive there were some reforms a few years ago but I am not familiar with them.

Oh, and on the issue of exclusive country clubs and schools, Why is it that women feel the need to force their way into schools like the Citadel? There are hundreds of all female schools in the country, so I hardly see it as being unfair that all male schools exist, yet if a man were attempt through a court battle to get into an all female school, he would be villified in the press.

Sexism? Agism? too many sch'ISMS' in our society. some barriers should be protected (like all boys and all girls schools) others should probably go, but overall, I do think americans in general need to grow thicker skins, we have become such a "ME" country.

I read an article (pertaining to the defacement of Desperate Housewives billboards in London) where the leader of this group said "Free Speech ends where offense begins."

Excuse me? that is exactly where Free Speech begins being protected!
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (endparenthesis @ Feb. 15 2005,7:20)]
    Quote[/b] (ktulu @ Feb. 15 2005,12:04)]now im not saying that these people dont deserve the scholorships, but why is it ok to be racist to the majority while its a crime if you are racist twords any minority?
    "Positive racism" is what I hear it called.

Personally, the financial side of this phenomenon doesn't especially bother me. The majority of poor people being black isn't a coincidence from a historical perspective... so I guess it makes sense to encourage the additional help (for now). I haven't done enough reading on this stuff to form a solid opinion on it.
    i did not change the variable of income and the other that affected econimc status, so all things considered if i was a minority right now i would not be paying for school. most of the scholorships were not even based on income, only on race and scores on standardized testing(ACT, SAT, etc). Now how is it fair to in essence deny a white person the opertunity to go to school if they could not afford it, yet it is perfectly admissable if not encouraged to do the same for a black person. Is this not racism? regardless of what you call it, it violates the prinicpal of an equal opertunity for all.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ] Now how is it fair to in essence deny a white person the opertunity to go to school if they could not afford it, yet it is perfectly admissable if not encouraged to do the same for a black person. Is this not racism? regardless of what you call it, it violates the prinicpal of an equal opertunity for all.
    well they most likely are trying to cut the blacks some slack...imagine being opressed for 200 years.. i know i would cut more slack for them, its kinda arguing like back in grade school "how come the crippled kid gets to ride the elevator!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the individuals weren't opressed for 200 years. I think most blacks today aren't opressed. It's not fair to treat people differently because of what their race had to go through.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well its diffrent when the other race dident go thru anything..your right i do understand your point but i feel like, wouldent you give your friend some slack if hes been thru so much?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think the present generation takes on the burden of what the past generation went through more than they should. With races that have been discriminated in the past, its the children i see that are bitter towards what happened, not the parents. The parents on the contrary are not. I don't think this is right at all, and if anything the parents should be bitter, not the children. Why would the children want to hold in feelings of something that was already "squashed"? Granted, there is still racism today, but it's much less and not enough so that it alters your feelings towards another race about being a "racist race" or enough for a race to hate another for discriminating them. Racism nowadays is more on a personal level than it is between whole groups on individuals.
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i agree with that