Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Racism

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't get why people even bother to let arbitrary physical characteristics play any part whatsoever in their identity. Personally I would consider even saying "I'm proud to be (insert race)" silly and, dare I say, racist by definition.

racism -- n. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.

If you ask me, racism can't go away when people still believe that race is even worth noticing... positively or negatively. I have blue eyes. I've never once thought of myself a Blue-Eyed American. Who cares?

I guess it all comes down to the fact that the world is a big, cold, scary place, and people need to find "communities" to join in order to feel like they belong somewhere. Unfortunately so many of them pick communities based on the most superficial and meaningless of similarities, merely because they seem to be the most immediately obvious.

And then there's the whole "ingroup/outgroup bias" thing we learned about in that other thread. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's kinda weird classifying yourself... I mean people that were born here are called american not european american or something like that (like its been said). When people ask me what are you its kinda hard to say... first off my response would be Dominican, because i was born in the Dominican Republic, even though my father has a spaniard/italian (european) ancestry, which then leads me to european, but that doesn't seem to fit because well i'm not from europe even though half my ancestors are. Which leads me to american. which would be dumb because the person will say "duh i know you're american we are in america", so im expected to name some other foreign country like italy or germany or something...

I think next time i'll save all the trouble and just say "i'm human"
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Amateur_Expert @ Feb. 11 2005,8:52)]actually.. african americans i know prefer to be called african americans more than being called black... they feel more respected when you do
    It seems that every generation of black Americans have wanted to be called something different than the one before. There's a long list of titles that were once acceptable, that are now derogatory. Does anybody know what NAACP stands for? That's one of the major problem I have with being political correct. Everything offends somebody.

Africa is the cradle of all humans. Every person alive can be traced back to a single woman from Africa. So if you think about it I'm African American too. We all are.

Why can we all be just Americans?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too true

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Amateur_Expert @ Feb. 11 2005,9:22)]I think next time i'll save all the trouble and just say "i'm human"
    Until we start running into alien civilizations I think that's the only correct answer. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Racism is a social disease. Everyone is a raciest. Yeah you can say "O' I am not a racist?". You go into any neighborhood that is unsual you tend to lock your door or not look at people a certain way. Racism is more then just black and white...then you have the people that just use the race word just because your opinion is different. I was called a racist because I thought O.J. Simpson was guitly. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img]
    \"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.\"
    -- Oscar Wilde

http://www.nasarracenia.org/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Every person alive can be traced back to a single woman from Africa
    well... there are doubts.
    http://www.apologeticspress.org/modules....id=2332
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, as a mod when I see a post titled racism... shivers run down my spine... this has the potential to boil over into a heated mess, and I commend you all for having such an intelligent discourse so far.

America has been described as 'The Great Melting Pot of the World'. We are a fusion of race, culture, and nationality. Like Treaqum and others, I think DEFINING yourself by your ancestry is an incorrect practice, and I'll tell you why, but let me first clarify that I think everyone should be proud of, and celibrate their heritage.

When you hyphenate yourself (African American, German American, so on, so forth), you diminish what it means to BE an american. I believe our for fathers had a vision far greater than even they knew, when they talked about the liberty of Man, they didn't include at the time what they viewed as property, but as elightenment occurs, old dreams take on new meanings, and THAT is an American Principle.

To be an American means you throw out your fear of what is different, and in turn come to accept it, relish it, cherish it. America is strong because of it's differences, but when we define ourselves as individuals by those differences, we weaken ourselves. You start forming pocket communities and cultures that don't see eye to eye, I would argue that there is a greater Gap between Republicans and Democrats than there is between whites and blacks these days, those polictical parties have become cultures unto themselves. ( I could be wrong, and am willing to accept that however! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] )

I too come from the south, and I can tell you while Racism is alive and well everywhere, I think the traditional view of a 'racist south' is nothing more than small pockets of fear and hatred here, One thing people don't realize, is that Souther America is becoming more and more hispanic, that in some areas, the white majority has become the white minority, that tends to shift perspectives very rapidly. America can not so easily be divided into north and south, as it once was, we are a trans-continental culture, movement and migration is a way of life, most of my closest friends here in san antonio aren't even texans, heck, I am not a Texan by Birth, I come by way of california (where my california mom met my illionois (airforce) dad. My brother and sister while 100% american were born and partially raised in Germany, My mothers family ancestery splits between California and Indianna, My fathers ancestry splits between St. Louis illinois and Romania. Melting Pot.

I often wonder, for those of us that hyphenate ourselves (I would be a German - Romainian - Swiss - British - American (read Mutt) what people who live in those countries or continents would think of us? Would a Man living in the heart of africa understand why an 'african-american' identifies himself as african american? He most certainly identifies himself as congalese, somalian, ethiopian, or some such national identity.

Racism is a horrible mental tradition for some people in america, it doesn't just affect whites, it festers in the heart of every race that has ever walked the face of this earth. I wish I could be alive for the day Racism officially dies, when All Americans consider themselves an "American Race" and beyond, when we all simply call ourselves "Human" or "Residents of Earth". Sadly I think neither of those days will occur in my lifetime. I do know the way there is not through government legislation, political agenda's and so forth, it's by walking out your front door, and talking to your neighbor.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast