What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Racism

• Thread starter altrade212
  • Start date
[b said:
Quote[/b] (shokuchuu @ Feb. 12 2005,9:47)]Did you see I mentioned brain/cranial capacity (aka the interior)? (On AVERAGE, Neanderthals=1600cc, us=1300cc.)  Yes, the whole brain:body ratio comes into play (so does ambient temperature), but not all people of certain origins are of similar physical stature.  What I'm trying to say is, brain size has NO influence on intelligence.
ok, crainal capacity has no effect on cognitive abilities, with in a range of course. first the measurements for Neandertals at 1600cc is an average from what would like comprise a small sample of their population and it is not outside the range of human variablity, which means they likely did not have any greater or for that matter any less "intellegance". if crainal capacity determined intellegence sorry girls but you would be the dumber sex by about 10%, however, it has been shown that the difference is likely do to an increased amount of spinal fluid around the brain(which is likely the case with neandtals, look at the rest of their bodies, clearly evolved for taking damage and surviving) in males, and it has also been proven that the relative cognitive abilities of each sex is insignificant.

as for diff. races( which do not exist humans have made them up) have differnt intellegence levels that is a joke, although the crainal size may be differnt in differnt races(though usally its just a small shape differnece) the cognitive abilities of each "race" have been shown to be on par with each other with only insignificant differnece or flawed data.

So i guess what my point is is this RACES DO NOT EXIST! period, they are only fabriacated by people when they feel they can gain by creating an us/them situtation.

though i will say as a side not Neandertals were likely more intelligent than modern humans as there has not been any evidence found for interpersonal or intergroup violence among them. which is much better than what you can say about modern humans.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I would argue that there is a greater Gap between Republicans and Democrats than there is between whites and blacks these days, those polictical parties have become cultures unto themselves. ( I could be wrong, and am willing to accept that however! )

That is probably very true.
I also believe that much of the perceived racism here in the U.S. is a product of our media, which jumps on every little story and blows it way out of proportion.  I frankly believe that there is much more racial hate in other parts of the world than here.
If you want to see racism first hand try going to Europe.  I am of pure Gypsy descent and in France and Germany I was viewed with suspicion...like maybe I was going to pick their pocket or sell them an over-the-hill horse.   I would gladly have gladly done that but I guess I didn't inherit the gene.
laugh.gif

I quote the following statement in jest, so I don't want a bunch of hate mail.
Somebody famous once said, "The Irish hate the Brits.  The British hate the Germans.  The Poles hate the Russians...and the French...the French don't like anybody very much.
laugh.gif

yeah i feel the tention really has died down...one of the biggest poblems we face now is AIDS

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]As for... teletubbies....they suck...one of em's gay..
so?
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]as for diff. races( which do not exist humans have made them up) have differnt intellegence levels that is a joke,
depends how you see it. whites really do score higher on IQ tests than blacks (and probably hispanics, etc.. by the way... I'm mexican) but that's not because of race. It's because of the environment they're raised in.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So i guess what my point is is this RACES DO NOT EXIST!
I think races do exist but they aren't relevant to much of anything. Just because races exist it doesn't mean one is lower or higher.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] I am of pure Gypsy descent and in France and Germany I was viewed with suspicion
well, the government in the US. discriminates against middle eastern people with their racial profiling.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The Poles hate the Russians...and the French...the French don't like anybody very much.
and the americans hate the french :p
freedom fries... holy cow that's stupid!

Drug laws are often written and enforced in very racist ways.  Penalties for crack, which is associated with racial minorities, are worse than penalties for cocaine, which is associated with whites.

A coworker who's an EMT for a volunteer ambulance was called to a cheap & sleazy motel for a possible overdose late on a Saturday night.  They found a sick woman (white) with her 8 yr old son and her boyfriend (black).  Police had found marijuana and she admitted she had been smoking in front of the kid.  The police chewed her out for doing that and told her she could be arrested and the kid taken away.  But they didn't do anything further, while arresting the boyfriend for the crack cocaine they found.  They allowed the mother to find a relative to take her son before she went to the hospital.

Minority women are typically arrested for risk of injury to a minor in such a situation.  Their children are taken into protective custody by the state Dept. of Children of Families while the family life is investigated.  I've seen it happen in my neighborhood.  Whether it results from conscious racism or from communication or cultural gaps, minorities get worse treatment.

Some companies are also racist towards employing people.
My mum applied for a job here about a year or so ago, then they told her:
"We only employ people from the United Kingdom and Countries that belong to the E.U."
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ktulu @ Feb. 13 2005,2:42)]RACES DO NOT EXIST!
Man, Are the runners of the Boston Marathon, and the San Francisco Bay to Breakers gonna be ticked!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Feb. 14 2005,3:13)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ktulu @ Feb. 13 2005,2:42)]RACES DO NOT EXIST!
Man, Are the runners of the Boston Marathon, and the San Francisco Bay to Breakers gonna be ticked!!!
dont forget all the nascar fans, with out races what else are they gonna do? LOL

do races in humans exist certainly, heck we argue over races(locales) in plants why wouldnt it be the same in humans? as far if it really truely means anything in the end nope not really. i live on an indian reservation, a poor one at that, and i am by my own admition a Mutt although i am purely of European decent as far as i know, there is a wee bit of french canadian blood in there and who knows what thats comprised of. anyways the whole racisim issue is purely one made up by humans, nothing more nothing less. problem is i cant for see racisim ever going away because of one simple principle with our species as a whole(ofcourse exceptions exist): its always easier to blaim the other guy for your problems than to suck it up and deal with them yourself.

Race is certainly still a factor in America. The company I used to work for had a branch in Irvine, CA, which is in a very conservative part of California. They had a black employee who was harassed on his way home (he walked) almost EVERY NIGHT by the police, who made it clear they didn't want him walking around.

When our company went to Atlanta for a conference, I witnessed one of our black employees get turned down for a cab ride, and the driver said openly it was because he's black. I was more pissed than he was, as he says these things happen all the time. As a black man driving a Mercedes, he gets pulled over for DWB all the time, and is just used to it. While it isn't the total impediment it once was, racism is still alive and well. There are still all-white country clubs and unequal treatment from police all over the country (not just the south!!)

Fortunately, most people have moved on, and it's possible for a minority to succeed in America anyway. But remember, Bob Jones University JUST started allowing interracial dating. There are still backwards people out there!

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Race is certainly still a factor in America.
from racial profiling to how easy it is to enter colleges to even black history month... have you ever heard of "native american month"? or week? or day? I haven't... yet in my opinion they were treated as badly as "african-americans"
colombus was evil too. :p

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There are still all-white country clubs
CapsLock are you serious? tell me more about this...

In addition to working at a lab, I also work Saturdays at Home Depot, as a cashier. I was stationed at the self checkout and had to assist someone who had accidently pressed the Spanish option. I was joking around about it and the guy was dead serious when he told me that he was "American" and didn't want the Spanish option. Now I live in a suburb of Reading, PA and the City itself is highly Hispanic. At the same time he was showing his racist views, I happen to notice a Hispanic family checking out at another self-checkout station. If only they heard what this jerk was saying...

I don't really think that's too bad. (this is coming from a Mexican... remember? :p)
I mean... if you're going to come here, you should at least learn the language! c'mon! and you don't even need to learn the whole language. Just the stuff you commonly use.

I don't see any problem if a private club wants to set certain rules. There may be some all white country clubs but there are also all black clubs, there are even all black colleges. I believe that if we are going to have freedom, then we should all be free to do what ever we want. As long as nobody is hurt. I also would fight so that groups like the KKK have a right to voice their opinions, even though I disagree with them.

Well I move to make everyone in the US labeled American. From now on if I call some US citizen other then American please someone hit me.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I also would fight so that groups like the KKK have a right to voice their opinions, even though I disagree with them.

but the KKK have been known for hurting, killing and even setting people on fire..

history of the KKK... I haven't actually read it. I just skimmed through because I was in a hurry to complete my notecards (which she didn't check! ARGH!) but at first glance it looks interesting. http://www.iupui.edu/~aao/kkk.html

Our nearby ATM gives selections in English, Spanish, and what I think is Portuguese.  There are a lot of people from Portugal and Brasil in the area.  Unless I'm doing a complicated transaction, I always choose Portuguese.  The language is a mystery to me, but I muddle my way through. I figure the bank keeps track of language selections and I want to encourage multiple languages.  I think that's a good thing.

I hate to make inflammatory generalizations (I actually don't and just say I do), but the people I know personally who are the most vocal about requiring everyone to use English have only a passing familiarity with it themselves.

As an aside, I think all country clubs should be shut down, whether they're full of racist swine or not. Let natural succession take care of the land and the water traps can become CP habitat.

Back