What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where does everyone stand in regards to...

"I sleep like those guys in the war films. I wake up every other hour and take guard duty, except it's just me and there's nothing out there."
-Stephen Wright

I never seem to sleep more than 4-6 hours a night (or day actually) and it's almost never in a row.

I can't recall any dreams for the past decade or so, is that bad?

Nope thats a good thing you only remember those dreams that you wake up in the middle of and you dream every night so it means that you must sleep pretty soundly.

Might want to read about sleep apnea, swords. Sounds like a possibility.

I've noticed the longer I sleep the more coherent my dreams become and the better they stay in my memory after I wake up.

I do know that caffeine doesn't give you energy, it keeps you from feeling sleepy. There is a certain chemical that bonds to your cells. When bonded, you feel sleepy, sleep breaks them apart (i guess). Caffeine breaks them apart, and keeps them from bonding.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And what would that be?

Dude, I don't remember the name. I only saw that X-Files episode twice.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]probably seratonin.

Yeah, that's it. Thanks.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Anyone who's done their homework on body building, lifting weights, exercise, so on, knows that when you lift the weight your breaking down muscle

....Really? o_O So... the repairing done when you're sleeping is actually what builds the muscle?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Nope thats a good thing you only remember those dreams that you wake up in the middle of

Actually, I gotta disaggree with that. Sometimes I remember dreams I KNOW I didn't wake up in the middle of, because I remember going straight from one dream to another without waking up sometimes. But it does really suck when you wake up in the dead middle of a dream you really didn't want to wake up in the middle of -_-

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I do know that caffeine doesn't give you energy, it keeps you from feeling sleepy. There is a certain chemical that bonds to your cells. When bonded, you feel sleepy, sleep breaks them apart (i guess). Caffeine breaks them apart, and keeps them from bonding.

Then how come you don't gradually need more and more sleep to take on the same effect in your body like with caffiene? Because caffiene is technically a drug and you get tolerant of it after a while, which is why the caffiene in soda or them thar frozen coffee things at Krispy Kreme don't affect me anymore. If sleep does the same thing in your body as caffiene does, it only makes sense that sleep would be like a drug to the body and that the body would eventually need more and more of it to produce the same effect, like a drug, but that's not how it works, now is it.

Building muscle actually is: You lift either repetitively or brute strength. When you do this you begin to feel "the burn". The burn is muscle tissue tearing apart. As it heals, just like scar tissue, it is tougher. Over and over again creates a super tissue (so to speak) that is actually the bulge you see and the rock hardness.

Sleep is not an external drug. There are many drugs created by our body but these are normally released in controlled ways by your body. However when external drugs synthetic or otherwise are introduced your body has no control of their affect. Since it has no control it cannot regulate on its own. This is partly and very crudely an explanation. Like Seratonin(sp?), you will not develope a resistance to it unless it given as a supplement for a natural deficiency. Many factors can and do change what I have said but it is brain chemistry and I haven't the time or knowledge to further detail.

Joe

I didn't say sleep was a drug. I said it wasn't a drug in an attempt to get the point across that it doesn't make sense to me that caffiene works the same way as sleep, because, if it did, sleep would work the same way as caffiene, which it does not.

Well, sleep itself is not a drug but your brain does release natural drugs which creat the relaxation and calm that is not normally obtainable while awake. Though it is possible with practice of different meditations. I agree with you, sleep and caffeine are not the same nor do they work the same except that they both cause an effect on the nervous system. One can interfere with the other though.

Joe

I'd say those natural drugs are chemicals or hormones, not drugs, since, if the brain released drugs during sleep, then, like all drugs, you would build up a tolerance of it and eventually need more and more for the same effect. So I'd say whatever the brain releases during sleep is a chemical or a hormone.

all I know about caffeine is that it speeds up how fast neurotransmitters fire.

Back